Boulder County fires, in Colo.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Dec 30, 2021.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

600+ homes lost, a Target shopping mall and a hotel..and still burning.

High winds power lines touch, pole pig blows...disaster ensues. Very SoCal.

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Any one hear from/able to contact @Motomom34 ?
    I'm worried, she might be in the line of this, and it's not getting any better!

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Thank you for thinking of me. I got a call telling me folks were wondering. I am not in danger from the fire. I can see the smoke but am in the hills. But today really made me think. The energy company has been turning off the power during the bad winds to prevent fires but don’t think they ever thought this would happen in suburbia. I realized today that when accelerated cuts the power I lose cell service and would never receive an evacuation notice.

Today listening to the scanner I heard a call for assistance. Some lady said she was trapped in her garage, couldn’t evacuate because the power was cut and the electric garage door wouldn’t open. Most folks know about the red cord/handle to open the door but that could have been a casualty because society has become accustomed to pushing a button.

Currently the fire is still burning pretty good. It is inching closer to Rocky Flats and there is a lot of dead grass/fuel in that area. Flames are at the windmills, I do wonder how those things stand up to fire.

Hundreds of homes are gone and I have no clue where these folks will live. There is already a housing shortage here.

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 4 others like this.
  5. DKR

My brother lives in Erie, a couple of miles north.

Has all his papers and suitcase loaded and ready, his DW is at the horse rehab center loading up the trailers & heading to Longmont.

Bad juju all around

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The scary part was that it was Christmas break so there were children at home while their parents were at work.

Glad your brother is okay. Smart to move the animals just in case.

Looking forward to the snow tomorrow.

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Glad your safe and sound! Had to make an emergency flight in the Super Cub to the ranch right before Christmas, those winds we had got up to 120 MPH and we had a lot of blow down and structure damage, nothing that cant be fixed or replaced, but DAMN, those were some very high winds, still have no power, but the gen sets are more then up to the task, so were good! Others were not so lucky, Our ranch is at the head of the valley, those down wind of us got brutalized far worse then us! As soon as the weather clears up a bit were heading back to make more permanent repairs and clean up the YUGE mess! I see lots of quality time with the new Cat and the Dozer, not the way I would have hoped, but there may be a silver lining to this yet!

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

With our last wind storm it blew down a few trees, took shingle off the garage and branches were everywhere. With 80-100 mph wind gusts there is no escaping if a fire breaks out. @Ura-Ki you know how the roads are in the foothills and mountains. Some roads aren’t wide enough to fit two cars.

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

YUP, and it's sucks! I sure hope your a short drive to an open area, or can get there on foot quick and have some supplies laid in you and the boys can grab and go quick like! REMEMBER THIS, it might save your life, If you get a grass fire after you, step into the burn, don't try to run ahead of it, step into it! Trust me, IT CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE!
    Watch this video, note how fast and how low to the ground this fire is (Just like you have there now), all you have to do is step over the flames and into the black!

10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Neighborhoods surrounded by open space. Nothing could have stopped this.
    15F1595E-111D-4708-A8FC-B972DFF3C0F8.

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

WOW that's some serious destruction.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Structure fires are a much harder fight, you gotta ether get in front of it, or your going to be fighting in the middle of it! Best thing to do is pick a street/block and hold it. Move all your hand line teams and tenders in and fight that street/block! Sometimes you win, some times you don't!

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

and now they are getting up to a foot of snow over that area…

14. Altoidfishfins

The snow should quench the fires. Problem is, how do those who've lost their homes get out of the storm?
    Hopefully some local agency, motels / hotels, friends and/or family will put them up.
    If they wait for the federal govt to help they'll all freeze.

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Lots of shelters have been set up plus many are opening their homes to folks. Plus a local furniture store opened up their showroom for folks.

I saw a few areas of places still smoking this morning but as BT said, we now have snow and lots of it, just a day to late.

16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Well, thankfully Biden is in office now and you can all build back better. [woot]

Glad to see you're okay @Motomom34

VisuTrac, Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  17. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

and single digit temp. over-night! The electrical power and gas is out, but they still have water! Those 1000 burned homes are just the beginning....remember Texas last winter!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  18. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Any folks might think your .GOV/Cabal didn't test it on CA and Lytton BC Canada
    Lytton wildfire
    The Lytton Fire, also known as thewildfire that burned on June 30, 2021 just south of the village of Lytton in the interior of British Columbia, Canada. The fire destroyed much of Lytton and caused two civilian fatalities..
    They said it was a Roge train wheel brake then another BS story of a Cig ..
    Lytton wildfire
    The Lytton Fire, also known as thewildfire that burned on June 30, 2021 just south of the village of Lytton in the interior of British Columbia, Canada. The fire destroyed much of Lytton and caused two civilian fatalities..
    See how the grass and trees have all survived and green still .

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  19. Altoidfishfins

Cruisin Sloth and Ura-Ki like this.
  20. DKR

1000 homes gone in a day.

1. Illini Warrior
  2. Ura-Ki
  3. duane
  4. Ganado
  5. Merkun