Bout time I say hi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sdr, Dec 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Welcome from the great State of Jefferson.

chelloveck likes this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Welcome from Just south and a little more west of Divide! Pretty easy to get things to grow up here, appox 9400 feet, about the only things that don't are Apple and pear, and cherries, every thing else grows like weeds! Welcome aboard, glad to have ya!

chelloveck likes this.
  3. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Good to know neighbor. Next year I'm going to plant some berry bushes up there. They do great at my house so I figure why not give it a try. Did some work for a couple who lived north of Lake George. The land was mostly loose gravel. Their garden was amazing. Only thing they did to the soil was add horse manure.

Ura-Ki and chelloveck like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I had to till it a few times to get the larger rocks out, and burn feed grass stubble after the first season. We havnt had to add any thing to the soil! Only thing is the winters ruin the fruit trees! Berries grow crazy, but also bring in the bears, so be careful what and where you plant. Wolves also frequently stop by and harvest all the vermin and like to get into things they shouldn't around the crops! Had a big Alfa bitch and cubs dig up my potatos first year, now we have anti predator fencing around the house and garden!

5. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Didn't know we had wolves. Bear is pretty common. I might have to rethink the berry bushes. It's taken me a few years to learn gardening down here. Definitely going to be an experience up there

chelloveck likes this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@sdr Plant the Berries, and then see what shows up... That way you will know what critters are around your AO, and most are not a real problem most of the time... Wolves are NOT an issue, contrary to Popular Belief... Black Bears, are good eating if the do NOT live on fish, in your area... I live in Bear Country, both Black & Coastal Brown Bears... and have a significant Berry Crop every year... It isn’t to hard to live with them, and share the Berry Patches... If you plant Fruit Trees, once they start bearing fruit, they make a great incentive for the Deer to come visit your yard in the fall... Dinner on the hoof... Such a deal...

chelloveck likes this.
  7. sdr

sdr Monkey++

I don't mind the critters. Do worry about my 10 year old girl though. Although she's good about not wondering. I think it's great we have wolves again. Bears seem very skittish. I've never seen an aggressive one. I like the dinner on the hoof idea. Was thinking about storing a couple salt licks up there. I assume once they are placed outside it would attract them

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Game Warden may take issue with a SaltLick if you do NOT have Livestock... Some States call that Baiting... However, Fruit Trees are just that Fruit Trees...
    10 Years old is old enough to learn to pack a firearm, around the place when Critters are in the area...

1. AgentPickle
  2. CaptainCalamity
  3. DurdenJames
  4. saki monkey
  5. old_code
  6. OlSarge
  7. TheRightToBearArms
  8. AR15gunbuilder
    New one from west Florida
    Thread by: AR15gunbuilder, Sep 28, 2020, 19 replies, in forum: New Member Introductions
  9. Bunker Bob
  10. Modus Operandi
  11. Northern california
  12. Murfylang
  13. Waydah
  14. Kruel J
  15. johnwintergardener
  16. JazzeeJ
  17. Kavode
  18. ArtVandelay
  19. MrBadExample
  20. Wildbilly