Bow season

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Kingfish, Sep 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Michigan's opening day of archery deer season kicks off this Saturday. Ill be taking to the woods with my new Crossbow. Im pretty excited as I had to give up bow hunting due to blended bi focals but this new scoped crossbow gets me back in the game. Accurate, powerful and fast it should prove to be a great asset to our family in keeping venison in the freezer. As a 30 year veteran of bow hunting I have missed the 6 week season for the last two years due to diabetes messing up my eyes. Now even with rifle I have to use a scope to shoot accurate. Making a good clean shot is the most important aspect of hunting to me. I sold my old Bear Compound with a HEAVY HEART yesterday . Im going to be hunting farmland deer which have been destroying bean fields and corn for the last 20 years. Ive taken near 40 deer from this farm in the last 20 years and the herd is still bigger then when I started. I did a little scouting today and the sign looked real good. Might even get a shot at a nice 8 point buck. My season starts Sunday as Im watching my grand kids on Saturday. Kingfish

2. beast

beast backwoodsman

yup time to lock up the kids in the house
    put all your livestock in the barn and bolt the doors shut
    around here we call it asshole season
    and i wont leave the house for 3 days except for emergencies
    same for gun season
    sorry guys, but for the most part, id love to shoot one hell of a lot of hunters

3. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Beast, I work in manufacturing, an can assure you. Asshole Season is 365 days a year with a Bonus day every 4 years. One guy at work if he sees deer or turkeys on sumone else's land during the right season will park on side of road & go hunting on their land without permission. I call it poaching. Another hunts with a pack of dogs to run down anything he hunting. So trust me, asshole season is year round.

4. beast

beast backwoodsman

lol, yeah but its the worst here for deer season

5. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I have been hunting with a crossbow this year. After 20 or so shots, I was dead on out to 40 yds with hardly any practice. I checked the scope BDC from 10-40. I think it’s much more humane than a regular bow (at least with me shooting the bow).

So far, the deer haven't cooperated. I own a bit over 8 acres and there is one deer I want to shoot before I go over to the state forest. I was within 10 yds last Sat, but I was on the ground at an angle that wasn't conducive to me swinging and shooting (probability of her moving- high). I held off and now I haven't gotten another opportunity. Oh well.... still plenty of days left in season. She is my goal for archery if nothing else.

6. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I got the first deer for 2011 with a medium size doe but My wife scored the first Buck of the season with this nice little three point. Both of us are now shooting Crossbows. She liked my Wicked Ridge Warrior so much I had to give it to her. So I have a new Wicked Ridge Invader. Both of us are shooting 100 grain spitfire mechanical broad heads. It was a 20 yard quartering away shot. Tough track with little blood as the wound was high angling into the Liver and lungs with no exit. It helps when you know the area. It took us about an hour to find it. Good shot placement dead deer. ;)
    P1010028.JPG

7. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I got my second deer this morning. Small doe and am now out of Doe permits. My wife has one tag left and I have my first archery tag. Hers has to be a doe or a buck with at least 4 points on one side, mine can be any size buck or another doe. So far the harvest has been great. My wife's buck is the biggest body deer so far. Im after a nice 8 point that Ive seen twice in a small creek bottom where a brushy fence line intersects it. He comes down that fence from a huge corn field ,hits the creek and goes east or west. Im set up now right where that fence line hits the creek. I just need the right wind. Kingfish

1. AgentPickle
  2. Gator 45/70
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Bishop
  5. Bishop
    The 48 inch hobow [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Aug 14, 2019, 0 replies, in forum: Functional Gear & Equipment
  6. Bishop
  7. DKR
  8. Bishop
  9. Bishop
    Here is how you make a warfbow. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 17, 2019, 0 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  10. Bishop
  11. Motomom34
  12. Bishop
  13. Bishop
  14. Big Ron
  15. OldDude49