Bows? What to buy?

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by mage2, May 10, 2010.

1. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

So i am going to be getting a compound bow today for my bday.
    any tips from you archers out there?

2. gettingoldsucks

gettingoldsucks Monkey+

For Male or Female, target or hunting ?

3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Mathews makes some fine bows. Would recommend going to an archery shop and trying a few out to get a feel for what you want.

4. mtscott

mtscott Monkey+

There is a lot to getting the right bow. One of the most important items is your draw length. I would find a reputable archery shop and have them measure your draw length. I would start with a used bow from the local shop or buy a last year model off ebay. I would stay away from big box sporting goods stores.

Could go on other topics if you are interested.

I really like hoyt equipment. Over engineered and way tuff.

- Scott

5. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

parker

I ended up with a 2010 Parker spitfire compound bow.
    i tried it out and it fit, put a whisker biscuit and it came with pin sights.
    i read alot of reviews about the bow before i purchased it and it looks good so far. will be trying it some more today after work.

6. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Glad you found one. I am a recurve guy myself. I was shooting instinct, but I may put some pins on this year. I'm headed back to AZ and the open land makes for tough instinctive shooting. I can't tell you how many whitetails I've seen there at 100yds with absolutely no way to close the distance (open ground).

7. KHAN

KHAN Monkey+++

Parker makes a fine bow, I currently shoot a Martin...with my long draw length there aren't too many options for me. Now go shoot the heck out of it!

8. Seacowboys

Arrows! Buy lots of arrows! I can't tell you how many arrows end up in trees, ponds, under Bermuda grass, between cracks in the fence, in stray cats, stolen by cattle...well...get lots of arrows anyway.

9. KHAN

KHAN Monkey+++

AMEN!!!! It's silly though how attached I get to the blasted things, I get so depressed when I lose one and I've lost or broken my fair share! biglaff

10. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Amen. I got really upset yesterday. I dusted off my ole' bow and finally got some time to practice. I was just over a dozen when "it" happened. I tore into one right at the nock. Literally made a hole through the thick part in the nock of the arrow. Oh well, I guess my grouping is coming back [winkthumb]

11. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

bow

So i have been shooting my bow, started @ 10 paces/yards and was tearing up the carbon arrows cause of them hitting each other. After talking to a bow tech, i lost 5 arrows to damage after they told me what can happen if a carbon arrow breaks on release. nasty stuff that.
    i am currently down to 7 out of 12 arrows still usable. one is missing a vane due to thick grass.
    I am now at about 20 yards and working on it. I hope to take it hunting this bow season.

It is alot different from rifle shooting. but it is fun and very much a challenge.
    I think its all about practice

Due to life i have not made it back to the forge in awhile.(new baby on the way) i still have a blade that i finished (mostly) that is currently without handle sitting covered in oil on top of the forge. but i look forward to unearthing my forge area soon and getting back to that.

12. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Love my bows but hung them up for hunting. Drew back on a really nice buck just before he came clear of a Cedar tree. He stopped while I was at full draw. Didn't take long till the shaking dislodged the arrow, hit the bow, and mister big buck took off like a rocket. I have gone back to my "06" compound and 357 sidekick. I may bow hunt again but will still carry. Will never miss a nice buck like that again.

13. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

biscut

i am using a whisper bisket, so no matter how much i shake the arrow should stay where its sposed to be. well thats the plan anyway.
    we will see i plan on trying to take something with it this season.

14. Seacowboys

You need to get a fletching jig. You can find them on ebay or at a good archery shop. I never use carbon arrows for practice until just before hunting season; they cost too much.

15. BigO01

BigO01 Monkey+++ Founding Member

mage2 If you have plans for hunting with your bow and live in a typical place here in the U.S. or Canada when hunting season rolls around you will be hunting in cold weather which of course means heavier more bulky clothing .

This is one area most people don't think about when buying their bow and thats making sure you can adjust the draw lenght down to adjust for all this clothing that will get in the way and hit your string .

In the summer you're wearing something often as light as just a T-Shirt and get to stretch out and use a long draw but it wont work with winter wear , you will either wind up changing where you hold the string at draw which will effect thins or you will need to shorten it up an inch or two .

Make sure your scheldue allows for practicing in this heavier clothing or you'll wind up kicking yourself after a blown shot on game and find yourself rushing trying to adjust things while hunting time passes away .

As you gain skill you will learn that you need to hold your draw at one point and shoot from the same point in the draw ever time . You will learn to consitently shoot "in the Valley" or "off the wall" if you don't understand these terms you have some more learning to do LOL .

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7