Recipe Bread in a can

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Falcon15, Nov 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Who knew that a coffee can could have such a use? Adding this one to my preppers bible...

Yeast Bread in a Can

• 2 pckg. active dry yeast
    • 2 tbsp. sugar
    • 1 c. warm water (110 F.)
    • cornmeal
    • 1 tsp. salt
    • 5 c. all purpose flour
    • 1 1/2 c. warm milk (110 F.)
    • 1/2 tsp. baking soda dissolved in 1 tbls. water

In a large bowl, combine yeast and sugar in the water; let stand 15 minutes or until it begins to rise.
    Grease the inside of 3 – 1 lb. metal coffee cans and the underside of their lids. Sprinkle cans with cornmeal, shaking off the excess.
    With electric mixer, gradually beat salt, 3 c. flour, and 1 c. milk to the yeast mixture; adding alternately and beating well.
    Add 1/2 tsp. baking soda to 1 tbsp. water and dissolve. Add this to the beaten mixture. Beat well.
    With mixer or spoon, beat the remaining 1/2 c. milk and about 1 1/2 to 2 c. flour to make a stiff dough that is too sticky to knead.
    Spoon enough dough equally into cans, top with lids. Let rise in a warm place until the lid pops off (about 45 – 60 minutes).
    Carefully remove lids. place cans upright on stove rack and bake at 375 degrees F. for 25-30 minutes until the bread top is golden brown.
    Slide out of can to test. Take loaves out of cans and stand upright on wire rack to cool.
    Store airtight and keep at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 4 days. Freeze for longer storage

2. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I wonder if it has to be animal milk, or if milk substitute would work, cause I can't do animal milk anymore. Well I can if I want horrible stomach pains for hours...

3. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Sub water for milk, add 3 tsp of sugar for the milk sugars.

VHestin likes this.
  4. beast

beast backwoodsman

i like to use pancake syrups instead of sugar
    maple syrup keeps well and isnt as bad if youre a diabetic

dragonfly likes this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Goodness, this thread takes me back in the day

When I was a boy scout.....they are years long in the remembering, but instead of cooking bread twists on sticks or cooking damper over the coals of a fire (which invarioubly seemed to get burnt).....I saw the potential in using an empty of powdered milk tin to use as an improvised oven.

I used to make soda bread (damper) with and it worked very well...it impressed the other boys at the time as I recollect.

It has been a long time since I have tried it out...but I may give it a go with my grandchildren....pass the flame on, so to speak, to the younger generations.

6. Kannonman

Kannonman Monkey+

Now that's an experimental recipie I might just actually try. Thanks for posting that Falcon.

7. jungatheart

jungatheart Beginner's Mind

When I hear bread in a can, this is what I think of.

51o7NvBObqL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.

1. Ganado
  2. Ganado
  3. HK_User
  4. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  5. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  6. DKR
  7. DKR
  8. Ganado