BREAKING NEWS!!! TOY GUNS BANNED! First in Oregon...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ColtCarbine, Mar 3, 2007.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

This came about because of recent shootings by police mistaking toy guns for real firearms

Beaverton adopts state’s first replica gun ban

Police plan outreach campaign before they start writing tickets

By Christina Lent

The Beaverton Valley Times, Mar 1, 2007, Updated Mar 1, 2007

BEAVERTON – It’s official: Airsoft guns and other realistic looking toy firearms are prohibited in Beaverton’s public places.

The City Council passed a new ordinance Monday night regulating the use and possession of replica firearms in public.

It goes into effect March 31 following a public outreach effort by the Beaverton Police Department, Beaverton School District and city to educate students and families about the new rules.

“In passing this ordinance we are being proactive and taking a step in the right direction before a tragedy happens,” said Beaverton Police Chief David Bishop. “We’re hoping it will deter some people from displaying these guns in public and causing alarm.”

In the next month, Officers Andrew Halbert and Mike Hanada will launch an education campaign and distribute brochures about the ordinance to community partners.

The approved ordinance regulates possession of replica firearms in public places including highways, streets, schools, places of amusement, parks, playgrounds, public transportation centers and common areas of apartments and hotels.

Under the ordinance, a replica firearm is any toy or imitation that substantially duplicates a lethal firearm or can reasonably be perceived to be an actual firearm.

The rules would not apply to brightly colored toy guns or those constructed of transparent or translucent materials.

It also does not restrict the use of replica guns on private property, including backyards.

Anyone violating the ordinance could get a citation.

Beaverton is the first Oregon city to adopt a replica gun ban for public places.

Link

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

One step closer. :sick:

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

What is the correct name for "fear of what it looks like" (_________)phobia?[troll]

4. FalconDance

FalconDance Neighborhood Witch

Here's a better idea: how about not making toys that look like the real thing?

When I was a kid, toy guns could not mistaken for real ones, no way, but we still had a blast playing Cowboys and Indians and such. (In my version, the Indians were often better armed ;)) Nowadays, the toys imitate life a little too closely - and in the heat of the moment, it isn't always easy to tell the differense at a glance.

I will say, though, that for much this reason, my kids were not allowed to play/have toy guns except for obviously toy ones like the water pistols/super-soakers type. Pissed the grandparents off, but so what. When they got a little older (around 9 or 10ish), they began learning safety and usage on the real thing. Worked well. (One of my sister is using this approach with her 6 yr old son. He just got his first BB gun. He's already learning safety as they have 2 full gun safes at home. My other sister, a former Marine in Desert Storm!, doesn't want her daughters near guns at all. *sigh*)

Our oldest son prefers black powder, middle son (thanks to mm and Titmouse) has a rifle as well as full use of our .22s. Daughter shoots and knows where the guns are, etc., but doesn't own any yet herself. Her temper is a little too uneven for my comfort on that one.

Go after the manufacturers and then re-teach the cops.

~Falcon

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7