British Government refuses to accept their own currency

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by Minuteman, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I still feel like your missing the point of the article. It is not about this one incident and whether he should have made it an issue and what other means he could have used to accomplish it. That is all irrelevant to the point of the article. It is pointing out the irony, and the absurdity, of a government refusing to accept the paper currency that it prints itself as payment for services. It illustrates how governments do not like people using cash as it is can be used anonymously and they have no records or means of tracking it. The gift card is a novel idea and would work in some instances but I have been in many consulates around the world and they ONLY take credit cards. So if you do not have one you are denied services that you are entitled to.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I rather suspect that the reason behind the credit cards only is to avoid graft/corruption somehow. Embassy and consulate personnel are not the cream of the crop. That said, there is a bit of absurdity in this --

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I didn't miss the point, I sidestepped it. Finding solutions to problems is what I do. I've dealt with many conpanies who will not deal in cash for several reasons. Employee theft, smash and grab theft, no safe on site, or the danger of making cash deposits to banks. (A friend of mine was brained with a brick as she tried to make a nightly bank drop. She has permanent brain damage as a result).
    Is IS about control, but not about controlling people. It is about controlling your revenue stream. Checks and credit cards can be direct deposited, without slowing down or risking your life. That money can be put to work immediately, to buy of pay as needed.
    I prefer cash myself. I prefer brick and mortar shopping as well, but I do understand it. It is a tool that cleans up your money stream, to run cleaner and faster.
    I don't like it, simply because it is all ones and zeros, and could disappear at the touch of a button. Like bitcoin, it is only real if it is proven and can not be stolen, or syphoned off. At least with cash there is proof it exists.
    Now, does it sound funny to not take your own currency? Yes it does. Is it sinister in some way? No. They care about the money, not you.

vonslob and chelloveck like this.
  4. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

You say it's not sinister, then go on to say that they care about the money, not us?!

5. kellory

Correct. It is a business decision. No business is in business to make jobs, they are in business to make money. People are only employed when it serves to.increase the money.
    That is not evil, or sinister. There is no covert force working to harm you. It is indifferent to you. You do not matter to the equation.
    It AFFECTS you, because you have to conform to their method, but it is not about you.

Capt. Tyree, vonslob and ghrit like this.
  6. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

The gift / prepaid cards are now requiring you to register with you name, dob, and ss number. They say it is required by homeland security and for irs identifying reasons.

I call [BSf]

7. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Haven't heard that about regular gift cards and "visa" gift cards, but with prepaid CC from a financial institution, yes. Why they need it, well I'm sure it's just going to the guberment DB someplace for "our protection".[LMAO]

8. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

"Next time I am confronted by some pencil pushing A-Hole who refuses to accept cash, I will leave quietly only to return with exact change to pay the bill and will start the conversation by requesting management and informing him this transaction is being recorded. He will accept payment with no excuse acceptable or be recorded failing to accept US currency full payment, at which time I will be properly prepared to have the debt forgiven in court. I am an olde contrary phart with plenty of time for tilting windmills.
    I will state loudly and on tape, this is your last chance to accept cash payment in full, should you decline I will consider the debt null and void, do you accept the cash or not?"

What you should have said is: "This is your last chance to accept cash payment in full, should you decline I will consider the debt PAID IN FULL AS PER FEDERAL AND STATE LAW, do you accept the cash or not?"

Yes, it IS worth it and the older I get the more it is worth it. If war is to come, let it come in my life time that my children and grandchildren can live in peace.

BTPost likes this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this conversation .... cash isn't real either... .. it's a financial instrument based on a huge lie we tell ourselves as Americans about our national debt and our domination of the oil market. ... so arguing about doing business in cash or not is like whistling in the dark while the axe murder is at your back. Ya'll really think cash is going to be any good long term?

Kellory is right, there are businesses that don't take cash to keep their income safe and their employees

Ss# is not required for visa gift cards unless you want to register your card for you protection (supposidly) just don't put in ss #

10. Legion489

Absolutely right. PAPER money (aka FRN and backed by air) is NOT real money. However it is easier than carrying around silver and gold which has been accepted everywhere in the world. US silver dollars were, and are, accepted everywhere in the world as good. By the Constitution, ONLY gold and silver is considered actual money. Until the time comes when we go back to silver and gold, or barter, then we are stuck with what we have available to us. Of course PAPER money is worthless and soon it will be turned in for new paper money (as has happened in the US at least five times, go look it up if you doubt this, it is probably more than that, but at least five) that will be worthless too. The Bible says that gold will be thrown in the street as worthless too, but not yet.

I'd be interested in what you use for money if not FRNs which is not real money, and as you point out, is not going to be any good in the long run.

Someone has to stand up and tell the truth and fight what is wrong. Of course it is not fun, not easy and everyone hates you. But what happens if NO ONE stand up to fight evil?

11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I just use what is there at the moment, barter some for now. .. and have 2 or 3 alternatives. It's the best any of us can do. Money is a system and you have to know how the system works to use it. Credit cards aren't good or bad but we can get in trouble if they aren't used properly and they are a financial instrument that when b used properly make your money go further.

12. kellory

No. Credit cards are at best break even, and that is if you pay them off in full each month. If not, you are paying to use their money, at interest.

ghrit likes this.
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I see you don't understand financial instruments.

14. kellory

You see nothing of the kind.

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

@kellory @Genado
    Just agree to disagree and get on with life.

kellory likes this.
  16. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

It is not wasted, it comes with the full satisfaction of knowing your rights and taking care of business.

BTPost and kellory like this.
  17. Legion489

Please expand on this and explain what you mean by that. I for one am interested.

18. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Simon Black write some very thought-provoking articles. I recommend subscribing to his Sovereign Man blog. The cashless society is exactly one step away from implementation. Even thirty years ago, more than 98% of all transactions were cashless, most related to government and Big Biz, of course. It's even more, now. The last step is to simply outlaw the possession of cash.

19. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

If you want to have some really serious fun, make a purchase some place that arbitrarily refuses to take cash--then offer them the cash. But make sure you capture a video of you attempting to pay, and of them refusing to accept the money. Legally, you "tender payment" when you offer money for a debt.

SURPRISE!!! A tender of payment discharges the debt. (Look it up. it's in about CH.1 of any book on business law.)

That means that once you offer cash, your debt has been PAID. They don't have to accept the cash. And if they refuse it, you don't even have to leave it behind.

Now the double-fun is that if they then try to drop a cop on you, claiming nonpayment or theft outright, you can cheerfully sue the snot out of them and win.

And better yet, if they accost you physically to prevent you from leaving, you can charge them with anything from battery to false imprisonment, according to the circumstances. And sue them for that, too.

I wouldn't do this to an honest person, but pencil-pushing anuses in general, and certain big-name chain stores in particular, are fair game.

20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

And that includes " Pennies" or any other "Coin of the Realm" even in Wheelbarrows.... Saw a case adjudicated in Court, once, where a fellow paid off a Loan on his House, in Quarters, Delivered in Boxes, at the Mortgage Company's Headquarters, and demanded a Receipt. They refused the Payment, and called the Police. He was arrested, " For Tresspassing" and when they got to Court, the Judge, Dismissed the Charges, With Pedjudice, found the Company, in breach of Contract, Filing a False Police Report, Gave the Fellow his Boxes of Quarters, back, and by Judicial Order, ruled the Debt " Paid in Full".... The Company then amended all it's subsequent Contracts with language that "All Final Payments, must be made with Cashiers Checks, drawn on a National Bank". That then, solved their issues.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7