Broken Palmetto State Upper

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by OldDude49, Oct 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

OK for the record this is someones complaint regarding a firearm... I do NOT know much more then that...

I can not vouch for how legitimate this claim is!

[​IMG]

Paul P. posted this in a firearm group. His PSA upper exploded and he sent it back to see if Palmetto State would do anything. Unfortunately they did not but more surprising is the lack of communication. Of course this is one side of the story. I do not know if PSA attempted to contact Paul.

ok, here’s the update. Posted originally 2 months ago, palmetto upper blew up. After 2 months without so much as an email or phone call from Palmetto (and me calling 3 times, told to wait longer) Palmetto sends back my upper with nothing done to it, except they loosened the bolt carrier. It came back without some of the broken parts, and with absolutely no explanation, no report of any findings, NOTHING. I yank the bolt out with help, and find this (pics, one on the left is my other pistol for comparison). So it looks like brass failure, but I don’t really know, because they said nothing. Customer service sucks. F&%$ Palmetto. Just wanted to post this for everyone who might do business with them, beware customer service.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Broken Palmetto State Upper - The Firearm Blog

2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Obstructed barrel comes to mind...Did he even contact PSA before shipping it back?

I don't normally mess with tier 3 weapons...but it also appears to have a poorly constructed bolt carrier.

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  3. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

I have no idea... you know as much as I do on this... just saw the report and placed it here...

for all I know the fault could lay the shooter or the maker of the ammo or ? ? ?

not really enough info to place blame IMHO...

4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I fault Palmetto for poor communication, but the failure does not look like a defect in their product. PSA quality is very good from a functional perspective, and since FNH won the M4 contract and still now that the contract is shared between them and Colt, PSA provides most of the parts that go into the FNH produced rifles.

If you want a quality Mil Spec* rifle you can get it through PSA just not necessarily with the cheapest parts. In particular look for the uppers that use FNH CHF machine gun steel, just make sure you do your homework. You will save hundreds of dollars, but you will wait longer for shipping and customer service is poor. Your choice, just make it with your eyes open..

* No AR is fully Mil Spec including the Colt 6920 - fire control group, barrel length, and lack of govt inspection

Sgt Nambu, chelloveck and Caveman Jim like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Reminds me of an out of battery detonation?

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yea, Gator 45/70 That's what I was thinking too! Possibly a blown case head followed by the next round detonating out of battery due to the blown case head stuck in the breach or close to it! Possibly loaded super hot/ or wrong powder for the case head separation! Would have liked to see a pict of the bolt face too! What ever it was, it happened out side the breach, to split the bolt carrier and the entire upper receiver like that!

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Similar thinking here. Shot taken, cartridge stuck, head ripped off by extractor. Following round stalled by MT still in chamber, fired by something hitting the primer and blowing up. With nothing remaining in the way, the bolt found its way forward and jammed. Just guessing, of course, but nothing else to go on ---

8. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Definetly looks like a case head separation. I had that happen years ago in a Mini-14. But it didn't harm the rifle (of course, it wouldn't chamber another round with the remainder of the case still in there). After examination by a gunsmith, it was determined that the headspace was correct. The round was one of my reloads and apparently had I had simply used the brass too many times. He extracted the case and charged me $5.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  9. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I also concur with either faulty ammo(reloads or imported junk), case head separation, bore obstruction, or the possibility of water in the gas tube.

10. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

PSA has a very poor reputation for a complete lack of communication and frozen molasses shipping speed! I pretty much only order ammo, magazines and accessories from them. I place the order and forget about it for a good long while! That said, I've never had an issue on any order!

11. duane

duane Monkey+++

Looks like out of battery, gas ring blown, locking lugs seem to be intact. Have both 223 and 300 Blackout and that looks like my worst night mare, trying to fire a 300 bullet through a 223 barrel and having the bullet push back far enough in the cartridge to allow it to fire with out it being locked. Use red mags in the 300 and keep ammo in different storage boxes. Have seen a mauser action fired with blocked barrel, action held, barrel blew out. Would love to know what the ammo was.

12. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

I have had serious issues with PSA parts and very poor customer service. Most of their parts are resold parts, many blems or low end, some out of spec. That may not have a bearing on the gun failure of the poster but not everything they sell is in spec and do not expect any kind of customer service.

1. 3M-TA3
  2. Matei
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Yard Dart
  5. hot diggity
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. Dont
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Marvin L. Steinhagen
  12. Ura-Ki