buck knives

Discussion in 'Blades' started by sasquatch91, Oct 28, 2011.

1. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

how many of you all use buck knives? thats about all i buy, i noticed some of them are made in china (yuck, a chinese knife!!!) i make sure before i buy em that they have usa stamped on the blade.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I have a couple one is an older folder, but the hunting fixed blade is chinese!
    They don't let ya see the markings inside the packages!

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I still have (and occasionally carry) my old Buck Model 317 two-blade folder - it was discontnued many years ago. Went around the world with me in the Navy.
    I like Bucks, but their prices have gotten silly/stupid. I see the fixed blade hunting knives in stores, and am tempted - but NOT for the price they want!

4. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

I just use a single lock blade, not sure onu the model, its camo.

5. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

I still carry my Buck 110 my father gave me when I enlisted in the Marine Corps.It survived the Marines, and the Army and I still carry it.Just wish I could find a new sheath for it .

6. Seawolf1090

Haha. My Buck 317 is on it's fourth sheath! They only last a few years of constant use. Leather or nylon, same-same. I have found sheaths at gunshows, and have ordered from cutlery catalogs. Non were as good as the original Buck leather sheath.

7. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

make your own, just recently bought a backwoodsman magazine, seems like they always got someone making em.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

That's the TICKET! Make what you need and it will be exactly what you want and at a reasonable price! I used to buy those leather bundles ( can't find them around now)...but they were great for these projects! Tandy has some nice leather products, but you have to know what you want, their catalog is a bit off!

sasquatch91 likes this.
  9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have a 2 bucks with 4 replacable blades...one saw, one drop point one clip point and a fillet blade....

10. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

I carry a Buck Vanguard on my side every day. The 420HC blade is a pain to sharpen so I've found that keeping it sharp works far better than trying to resharpen once its dull. Yeah I know, Who'd have thunk it, right?

Any idea which model it is?? I've yet to see any from their hunting line that weren't USA made. The "Tactical" and "Outdoor" lines it seems are mostly imported.

11. GeneC

GeneC Monkey+

I own and use the Buck #107 paring skinner.....definitely made in the USA...the sheath was well made, with w plastic liner.

12. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace

Buck knife was the 2nd knife I ever owned after my Boy Scout pocket knife. both were gifts from my Dad. The Buck was for hunting and I still have it 30 years later. The Boy Scout knife was barted off for something during one of our moves. It's main blade was scored from me trying to saw thru a light cord when the light was on ( I remember the spark ( arc weld ) and the shock to this day ) Sometimes I wonder how I survived my idiot childhood....LOL

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I have an old Buck 110 and a newer one.

14. Seawolf1090

Hehehe...... my Model 317 has it's main blade about 1/4 shorter than normal - I let my ET1 use it to strip some wires once - he forgot to shut off the circuit breaker - "ZAP!" Glad it was right on the tip. I filed and resharpened it, and it has soldiered on. You just can't kill a good Buck Knife!

15. Goblin

Goblin Monkey++

I have the 110 folder and the sheath knife. Both USA made.

16. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Where I buy my knives, you can examine the knife from the case prior to purchase. If it is stamped "CHINA" anywhere on the knife, it is not purchased. Unfortunately, how I learned my lesson was, I bought a Gerber folder and did not notice the small stamp at the base of the blade. You guessed it...China. I abuse the garbage out of that knife, and the blade steel is decent, but the overall construction is a bit shoddy. I try to buy German or American made blades. These days it seems that Chinese steel has quietly invaded many of the manufacturers and they are not openly advertizing the fact.

17. I have a 119. I like it for what it is.

At the moment I have the knife my Dad gave me when I was 8 years old on. I'm taking a trip down nostalga lane. It will still shave and cut and do what I ask of it. Soligen steel , shows a hand holding 3 arrows but no idea more about it.

18. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I have a Buck nighthawk that over the last few years has replaced a near 30 yo Schrade as my primary belt knife. Says USA on it and has stood a lot of abuse. Takes and holds an edge pretty well. Don't know if it was made here though.

19. Buck 119. Great knife!

IMAG1403-1-2.

IMAG2347-1.

IMAG2345-1.

20. HOP

HOP Monkey+++

I have the Buck Hoodlum , a carbon steel knife designed by Ron Hood a bit before he died, same style knife was made by TOPS.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7