Budget Backup Firearms

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by GOG, Apr 16, 2016.

1. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

There are some pretty amazing low buck 1911's out there.

Brokor likes this.
  2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Some years ago I ran into a deal for a CZ-52. Normally it is chambered in 7.62 x 25. But you could order them in 9mm x 19 conversion also, which I did. I then purchased a 7.62 x 25 spare barrel for it. Now it's dual caliber with just a barrel swap.

The 7.62 x 25 is a pretty hot caliber with standard mil issue loads. It'll crack out a 93 grain FMJ at around 1500 fps, which is what I clocked it at.

GOG and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

You can get 9mm and sig 357 barrels for the Glock 22 it uses Glock 17 mags for the 9mm and Glock 22 mags for the sig 357's...

GOG likes this.
  4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Force multiplier is the key. No offense to anyone; however, if I'm defending my family; there is no stroking a bolt, lever action or pump in the equation.

Although I "love" an AK; it is hard to beat an AR unless the AK is chambered in 5,56.

In pistols. 9mm or 45 ACP. I prefer more rounds in the 9mm for the obvious reasons.

GOG likes this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Witch Doctor 01 Love Hickok45 videos. Saw his DP-12 video- good one.

Very much agree that backup to things that go bang. Due to having a few in the family, we have three guns that can all share the same ammo. That is the direction we are working towards. Guns that can limit the different ammo that we need to stock.

Witch Doctor 01, kellory, GOG and 2 others like this.
  6. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I just never warmed to the AR platform. I admit I'm a bit odd, but I prefer the ergos of the AK and around here the 7.62x39 round pretty much works for any varmint, pest or suicidal game.

'Zactly @Motomom34, caliber consolidation is large part of the equation.

svjoe and Motomom34 like this.
  7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I've used a M-series in war and out to 350 meters it is hard to beat,

Even in an AK, the 5,56 is more accurate and its effective ROE adds range to the 7,62 or 5,45. My preference is SCHV or BCHV. That means I'm old and lazy or I prefer a flatter shooting round.

In addition, the 556/.223 is a lot easier to forage than either the 7,62 or 5,45.

8. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

A backup gun "on a budget" implies to me that the backup gun does not have to be as good as your main gun.

I think that is a mistake. It's kind of like getting the best, most expensive parachute available and then for a backup 'chute you go on Craigslist and buy any old cheapie that comes along.

A backup gun should be as good as your main gun, however you define that. Ideally, it would be the exact same make, model, and caliber as your primary firearm to avoid having to cross train and learn two separate guns. Since space/weight may be an issue, that's not always possible.

In any case, I do not endorse lesser standards for a backup gun.

GOG likes this.
  9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I really enjoyed my Rock Island Armory 1911 until space aliens stole it.

VisuTrac and GOG like this.
  10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

In this case, I believe the topic is budget back up firearms.... not your primary tools.... those that you can stock up on as additional firepower on the cheaper side of things.... maybe even used as barter items.

11. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I'm also thinking about the possibility of arming some extra hands and I'm not independently wealthy. That's why the budget part, but I understand wanting and stocking top of the line weapons.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  12. Yard Dart

That would apply to most of us... how do you extend your prep dollars to arm your team!!!!

3M-TA3 and GOG like this.
  13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

To my mind, that does not mean cheap junk. Used quality stuff makes better sense, of course with due caution and inspections.

14. Yard Dart

But of course...... without saying... quality tools are paramount. :cool:

15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My main Hangun is my FN Browning HiPower in 9mm.... My Backup is a S&W Model 29, Blue, with 8" Barrel.... and NO, it is not carried for "Bear Protection"..,

GOG likes this.
  16. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Have a couple SKS's and beater AK's for the neighbors since they are unprepared for SHTF and will be needed when the zombies come.

GOG likes this.
  17. yeti695

yeti695 Monkey+

Yes for handgun the SCCY 9mm is a great gun. We bought one for about 200 4 months ago. We love it.

18. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Altoidfishfins
    The 7,62 x 25 in a pistol is amazing against body armor. Although it didn't pass through Level IIIA, it did stick out of the other side. In a SBR, it did penetrate Level IIIA.

Do a YouTube search.

GOG likes this.
  19. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

IMO...Backup to me should be the same makes as main carry guns....If your main carry is a Glock 17 and AR carbine.....your backup should be also.....If your backups are totally different guns then you may make loading, unloading or clear a jam the wrong way or take one second too long to get shooting again....being very well trained on one pistol and rifle take a lot of range time....even seasoned competitors who shoot 1000's of rounds a month make mistakes....only a small percentage is well versed and trained with the main pistol/rifle they carry....If you will have backups for friends/neighbors ? I would rethink that....I will not arm someone who could turn it against me...how well do you really trust the neighbors ?

Mountainman and GOG like this.
  20. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

For what a vest and plate setup costs now just buy what most round won't even dent.....

1. 3M-TA3
  2. Motomom34
  3. Matei
  4. Ganado
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Yard Dart
  7. hot diggity
  8. Oddcaliber
  9. Dont
  10. oil pan 4
  11. Oddcaliber
  12. Yard Dart