Bug Out Bag Ideas for Beginning Preppers

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Legion489, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Bug Out Bag Ideas for Beginning Preppers
    by Dale
    [​IMG]We hear all the time about what we absolutely need in our bug out bag, and for the most part it’s true. Is putting together a bug out bag for a beginning prepper without a mag bar or a water filter a waste of time? I believe the answer is twofold. Yes, these supplies are critical to putting together a good bug out bag, but are not going to do us any good if we have no idea how to use them.

I recently had a conversation with a friend who is a beginning prepper, and he asked me what should go in a bug out bag? Before I go into detail about what I told him to put in his bug out bag, I want to give a you little backstory. It is becoming a success story about how to get someone interested in preparedness, and it applies to all areas of preparedness…not just bug out bags.

SPP154 Bug Out Bag Ideas for Beginning Preppers
    [powerpress]

We have been friends for a very long time (even before I became interested in preparedness) so when he asked me about my website, and why I was prepping, I was a little surprised. What surprised me even more was his willingness to learn about it and set aside his preconceived notions. It’s also because of the way I approach our conversations and not go overboard talking about doomsday scenarios.

Addition & Subtraction
    Read more of this post

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  2. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Some water, and something to carry it in, food - oatmeal works for me, a can or small pot to cook in, something to start a fire with, a poncho to ward off the rain and also serve as a hooch, some kind of cordage - small rope or whatever, map of area you will be traversing, a cutting tool - small hatchet or old butcher knife, and if your rich then throw in a flashlight and blanket, the rest is all fluff.

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Legion489 and Motomom34 like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Start simple, that is my advice. Also I have tailored my bag so that the items in it usually have more then one purpose. Learn/think of all the uses that one item can do. It you learn to think and see something as a multi-tool I think that is the best education. Some people will get a BOB list from the web, buy all the stuff and can't carry the bag. I have seen lists that have pounds of suggested stuff.

Legion489, Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  5. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

On someones advice, I spent a weekend with just my bag. I walked 7 miles to a friends house on Saturday, stayed in the woods that night, and back home Sunday afternoon while trying to avoid roads as much as possible. Probably 10 miles. Once home, my bag went from 37# to 18#. I had so much in there that was cool, or could be useful but wasn't needed to preserve my life. It's back to 20# as I added a light coat and a pair of socks. My bag is a "get home" bag anyway.

Meat and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Excellent @Tempstar that is so cool that you could do that. I bet that was a great experience and learned a lot.

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Use what's in your bag regularly, and replenish it regularly .

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You all might just want to take a squint at @Falcon15 's Booklet about BOBs... to get some ideas.... or listen to his "In case of Emergency" Internet Radio show on Sunday Afternoon/Evening.... http://shtfseries.com/radio-show/ All good stuff....

Just leave his Bananas alone, You have been warned.....

kellory likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Media

Hi_I'm_Carl

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 17, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Gloves!

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 7, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Motomom34
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Ganado
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. hot diggity
  10. OldDude49
  11. OldDude49
  12. DKR
  13. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  14. Motomom34
  15. Yard Dart
  16. Bishop
  17. DKR
  18. DKR
  19. DKR
  20. Bishop
    Here is a song can you relate to it. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jun 15, 2018, 1 replies, in forum: General Discussion
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7