Bug Out Cooking

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Yard Dart, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

So you just received notice that the river is going to breach the levy in an hour…. Or let’s say the large fire on the other ridge-line is moving your way…whatever the scenario, you “have” to bug out from your home and move out quickly. You may have to be on the move for days until you can find safe harbor, reach friends and family, or your alternative BOL.

We discuss many subjects as Monkeys such as your : BOB’s, GHB, assorted gear, rifles, defense and a whole host of other endless topics that are paramount to your survival. Welcome to this TOTM topic, which is cooking and supplies on the move.

Though we would love to hunker down with our home oven and cooking supplies:
    [​IMG]

or the great wood stove:
    [​IMG]

We instead, are going to be doing this for the next few days:
    [​IMG]

How do you plan on cooking on the move? Do you have a camp kit prepared for a means to cook, pans, utensils, seasonings and all the assorted things you will need to prepare meals along the way?

Many have the vision of operating along the way with the minimalist philosophy.
    [​IMG]

But others have the need to plan on cooking for the family and their associated team.
    [​IMG]

You have plenty of seasonings at home, but do you have a kit ready to move that is comparable to your home taste? Good food is a morale booster, especially in tough times. You might like that meal, but without Tabasco.... it is just not right.
    [​IMG]

Will you be the one showing up at the first campsite realizing you do not have a pot to make your favorite baked beans?
    [​IMG]

So tell us, how do you plan to do it, what are your methods and where do you need to improve? It is great to have a years worth of food in the pantry....can you cook it when you have to leave home base for an indefinite period?!

[​IMG]

sarawolf, Ganado, 3M-TA3 and 10 others like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Great TOTM. Depending on the events, We might be on foot or we might be in one of our rigs. I always have a MSR Wisperlight International and a few JETBOIL type cook pots in my GHB/BOB. Our biggest concern up here is Fire!!! As a Professional fire fighter, My job would keep my at the leading edge of any big fire, and as such my trucks are equipped with several weeks worth of food and both trucks also have a mini fridge and a Colman two burner cook stove. I try and keep all my cook systems on "White Gas" and all are also able to use regular gas or other fuels. I can also cook on my engines when needed. For a major SHTF event, my plan all along IF bugging would be to take the bigger fire truck and boogy, it can sleep 2 easy, has tons of food and supplies on board, and 400 gallons of fuel, PLUS 8000 gallons of fresh water in the truck tank, and if I have the tank trailer, another 4500 gallons.

3. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

If I have a vehicle that is operational I'll toss in the dual fuel 2 burner Coleman stove and the camping kitchen box which has pots, pans, spatula, large spoons, aluminum foil, matches, tablecloth, dishes, bowls, dishrags, dish soap, small fire grate, toaster attachment for stove, coffee pot, and also would take whatever stove fuel I had available at the time and when that is expended I can swap over to gasoline, siphoned from the car if necessary.

If I'm on foot or bicycle, it will be my canteen cup, aluminum foil, and a coffee pot, and whatever I can bushcraft rig over an open fire.

4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

But I'm too damn old to pack up and sleep on the ground:D

We have the stuff here to bug out with including cooking supplies BUT to be completely honest since the move here it's scattered throughout several out buildings and would take much more time to pack up than it should. We-I have gotten comfortable here. We've made the decision that we are too old and beat up to bug out in a SHTF situation and have set this place up as a bug in location. As a result, we have the equipment but sad to say aren't really prepped to bug out quickly if needed. Suppose I need to get the basics back into a bug out trailer.;)
    As far as meal prep goes we like our cast iron. I have cooked with it for years, and while it is heavy I feel the trade off is worth the weight. It can be used on a coleman stove, propane burner or a campfire just as easy as on an electric stove. Can't say the same for a lot of the cookware you find in many kitchens. I like the enameled steel plates and cups. Their weight is offset by their durability IMO. We use both white gas and propane powered stoves. Spices were bought at dollar store and a market near by that sells them 4 for a dollar. Foodstuffs are a combination of freeze dried, MRE's, boxed and canned goods. If we had to bail, I would empty as much of the fridges/freezers as I possibly could into a couple of 150 qt coolers.

5. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I recently (and finally, after much procrastination) purchased a Kelly Kettle stainless steel base camp kit in the event that I am prevented from taking the motorhome with it's well appointed kitchen...along with what sometimes seems 200lbs of cast iron cookware. Assuming that I can at least take the Jeep, the Kelly Kettle set along with a supply of freeze dried vittles and my "flavorings box (tabasco, soy sauce, spices, minced onion and garlic, etc) will hopefully do the job. Of course, if I am relegated to feet, it will need be the core items of the KK and a smaller selection of food (but then my body is unlikely to get me far in that case anyway).

sarawolf, Ganado, Gator 45/70 and 5 others like this.
  6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I have three of these and at least a dozen fuel canisters.. I got my stoves locally for around $20... Fuel canisters around $2.50
    They come in their own plastic carrying case. The BoB has several stove alternatives from propane to solid fuel, but I'd rather be able to drag the 5th wheel if I have time... :D
    Also in the BoB, my Sweetwater purifier, two life straws, a nesting cook set and flatware, two camp mugs, twelve packets of Hot Coco mix, a box of Tazo Zen tea, several cans of tuna, a large can of beef stew, a large can of peach halves, several cans of chili and two pounds of rice. On the way out the door I would grab the gallon 6 pack of bottled water...

Amazon.com : Camp Chef Butane 1 Burner Stove with Camping Case : Indoor Camp Stove : Sports & Outdoors
    [​IMG]

Amazon.com : Gasone Butane Fuel Canister (4pack) : Backpacking Stoves : Sports & Outdoors

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    sarawolf, 3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  7. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Like @Dunerunner I have a couple of the butane stoves for luxury bugging out. But for the primitive bugging out cooking, I have a large coffee can that has utensils and seasonings inside. I figure the coffee can will be fashioned into a stove. As for seasonings, I need to rotate them more. One thing is I need to practice cooking on my butane or propane stoves and on a coffee can stove. Last week a monkey showed me their new wood stove (camping) that they were cooking on. The food was charred because they had not got the cooking method down.

sarawolf, Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 5 others like this.
  9. Tully Mars

Well now, if I get to play by those rules all I gotta do is fill the fresh water tanks and hook up. $h!# I feel much better about myself now, THANKS!!:D

10. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Yeah buddy!

[​IMG]

Ganado, Motomom34, Dunerunner and 3 others like this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

For a Gear review, The JetBoil 2 Quart pot I have been using for making coffee since 2008 and it's still just as good as the day I bought it, I use it in the trucks, the snow cats, and camping/hunting/fishing trips all the time. With a heat shield made from garage sweepings, it gets hot in less then 2 min on the WIsperlight! I have yet to find any other high end cook wear that can get water this hot this quick! Another gear review is the LightMyFIre folding plate and soup bowl set, Has lasted about 6 years so far and still looks new.

12. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I actually like these 'emergency events' scenarios as it shows me my holes, some are big and some are small.
    I have two newish vehicles that are both 4w drive, one being a Tacoma pickup (both always are kept full) which we could fill with freeze-dried food (5 gal buckets of and foot lockers, 2 ea. 5 gallon water containers (with spigots), a 30 lb propane tank (it's full) and I think cause I have the room I would take the propane BBQ to cook off of (might as well go in style). Ammo is all in metal ammo cans ready to go and I have two clear & large (~15W" x 21'L x 11'H) plastic cases of first aid/medical stuff plus each vehicle has .50cal plastic ammo case of first aid. I would also grab my big cast iron dutch oven I got at a yard sale, sleeping bags are clean and in the house, grab LED lantern plus my load of batteries, I have my excellent North Face mountaineering tent from my old climbing days (one is new, one is use but still good), 5 gallons of heavily treated E0 gasoline, tons of LED flashlights, tool box is right next to pickup, on and on and on...given an hour we could be easily be set to exist for at least a month...We actually came very close to doing this my first year here in the summer when we had the wild fires so...I also have a very rugged Land End canvas briefcase which contains ALL our serious documents in the gun safe which I would grab along with the guns there and the BOBs sitting next to it. The last thing I would grab would be the two large tarps (~20'x20') sitting next to truck in garage (got small tarps and etc. in both vehicles).

Holes...there are always damn holes...grumble, grumble, grumble...
    1. Need a portable propane cook stove that I can hook a 20-30 lb and smaller propane tank to cook off truck bed or etc.
    2. I still haven't got off my backside to build a simple tri-pod to allow easy campfire cooking with that big cast iron pot
    3. I need another 5 gallons of treated gasoline
    4. I need another 30 lb propane bottle
    4. My sleeping bag must be close to 20 years old. I need a replacement with synthetic insulation that can get wet...
    5. Portable generator... I think one of those small 2000 watt Hondas
    6. Maybe a small propane heater would be handy and should be considered...
    7. We probably need better rucksacks (packs) as the ones we have are Chinese and not great quality.
    8. A hundred other damn things that I will think of throughout the day...but I think we did a hell'va lot better than when that Wild Fire almost chased us out.

EDIT: While in the garage with the vehicles, I would also grab the wife's large roll of polyurethane twine (think that's it) it's weather/UV proof, strong and good for about anything, not as strong as 550 cord but very strong. A shortfall (hole) is a portable shortwave radio of sorts. I have VHF/UHF radios but need something that can capture the full spectrum of Emergency Broadcasts.

sarawolf, 3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and 5 others like this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Why 30lbs? I have a bunch of 20 lb tanks. I get them at yard sales for $5. They are easier to carry and do not stick up as much. I am wondering if your wife can easily carry and lift a 30 pound tank? Also since the 20 pound tank is shorter, I think it could sit in a truck bed and not be seen easily.

Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

No real good reason except it holds about 2.3 gallons more... I purchased it new with the thought to use it for a number of things to include a propane heater if we were to lose power for any significant time (it's been a hard winter here). So, thinking in that manner I got a larger one. But, I admit I never thought to buy these at yard sales...just goes to show you I am still learning on how to be an American again. And, you are right, 20 pound tanks would definitely be easier for the wife to lift, 37 pounds (full) compared to 55 pounds (full). But, on the other hand, it does give her a good reason to keep me around. LOL! :)

But, your right, they are more common, lighter and would be less noticeable in the truck bed. I will get a pair of 20s and keep an eye on yard sales for them. Thanks for that tidbit. But, I'm blaming you if the wife puts me out in the cold! :)

15. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Stove:
    2-burner propane stove w/backup 1 burner dual-fuel stove (I actually don't have a fuel tablet stove anymore)
    8-10 1lb propane tanks + 2x 20lb propane tanks and adapter hoses (as well as distribution tree)

Cooking implements - Stored in the large Purple rubbermaid (yes, it's really the purple one)
    Tea kettle for boiling water
    Medium Pot
    Griddle
    Spatula
    Couple cooking spoons
    Couple of "kitchen" knives
    Can opener
    Cutting board
    Cleaning stuff (soap, scrubbie, two containers for soapy and rinse/sterilization water, small bottle of bleach that we rotate, etc.)
    Baby wipes

Eating gear:
    Paper plates and bowls (not a lot but multiple meals worth of each)
    Plastic plates and bowls (for re-use if possible, preffered)
    Roll of paper towels
    Sporks for everyone
    Couple of butter knives (shared)

Seasonings...oops:
    Salt
    Pepper
    Cholula hot sauce

Clearly I'm lacking in spices.

Food in different packaging varieties is spread out in various containers for quick grabbing.

***ETA***
    By large rubbermaid, I mean the 18 Gallon Roughneck Tote, similar to this one.

[​IMG]

sarawolf, Ganado, Gator 45/70 and 5 others like this.
  16. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Geez, light!! You're so organized! [​IMG]

17. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Nah, just used to be a Cub Scout leader and then helped out with Boy Scouts till the boy burned out. Got tired of "where the (*#&$ is the THING". Purple rubbermaid is for the cooking stuff, Gray with the black lid is for the groundcloth, mallet, fire starting and "sundry" stuff, Green has the air mattress for the wife (yes, we have one of those), the battery powered pump (because...air mattress), LED lantern, couple flashlights...hmmmm, now I need to go look because I can't remember what else is in there.

Purple one has a tiny bit of food, mostly granola bars, hot chocolate mix, oatmeal packets and the like.

Ganado, Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  18. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Love this topic! Yard Dart, excellent pics. Mindgrinder, you da man! Tactical wheelbarrows are da bomb! At least according to one well known figure who will remain nameless. :)

As I've said before, down here in SENM, there's no really good place to bug out to. Desert, desert and more desert. A couple of nice camping places along the Pecos river not too far away and another place or 2 where roads go by/over which would be packed as well as indefensible. Soooooooo, but in it our choice (not to mention I'm getting to be an old fart and like my comfort!)

Love seeing and hearing from everyone on this topic.

Kajun

Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  19. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

[​IMG]
    Biolite stove. Unlimited fuel stove and USB charger all in one. Charge GPS, radios, gun sights, flashlights and has a hot, blower assisted flame.

Dunerunner likes this.
  20. Tully Mars

How is the blower powered? Battery, or does the heat from the fire turn a fan blade?

Dunerunner likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Ganado
  5. DKR
  6. Dunerunner
  7. DKR
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner