Bug Out Cooking

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Yard Dart, Feb 28, 2017.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

1. canned food does not need to be recooked.
    2. cooking any thing, is going to create interest among all those that smell it cooking, including wild life.
    3. Drying meats only takes the sun's energy.
    4. if you take along a solar means of cooking ,you can save the fuels for more important things down the road.

Motomom34, Ganado, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It's a thermoelectric device. Heat is the source, converted to electricity with thermionic diodes. I have no idea beyond that, but here's some lowdown.
    thermionic power converter | electronics

Dunerunner, Pax Mentis and Tully Mars like this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

TEG technology ,
    thermocouple style generation heat from the twigs burring generates the heat on the thermocouple and it makes electricity that runs the fan and the charging unit.
    This technology has been around since 1770s a german physicist invented it but it did not get implemented tip the late 1950s in water heaters and stoves to ensure the gas was shut off if the pilot went out.
    That pilot light burring against that little thermocouple holds an electromagnet holding the gas valve open.
    the newer tech uses several thermocouples or a larger array that can be put in the sun or against a stove and make electricity that way , They are a fraction of the size of a photovoltaic watt for watt. but depend on heat, not light.

Dunerunner and Tully Mars like this.
  4. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

The Thermoelectric generator charges a battery inside the unit. Power is first supplied to the blower until the generated power is sufficient to charge the battery then excess is sent to the USB port. It works. They have a larger base camp model and even a USB powered LED lamp to provide light to cook by.

5. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Will it survive an EMP? If it depends on semi-conductors to operate, probably not. Cage it!

Dunerunner, chelloveck and T. Riley like this.
  6. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

If it does not, you still have a little rocket stove.

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

There is a small fan that sets atop a stove using the same tech, moving the heat around.
    I use an electric fan at above my wood stove ,and it does both push the heat into the rest of the room and draws the draft on the air intake to the fire box, helping marginal fuels to burn more effectively .

8. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]
    Always packed and ready to go - 4 -6 days of Chow, a dry bed, change of clothing, a 12000 BTU heater, stove and fridge. As a daily driver, its fueled and maintained as recommended, so it remains ready to go. As part of the full kit, there is a hose that allows hooking up 20 # propane bottles to the system for extended heating.

I also have a Trangia storm cook setup for outside of the van cooking.

Makes a fantastic weekender.

sarawolf, Ganado, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  9. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Conversion van? Looks a little like it but wondering if that's the case.

10. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]
    Nope, just an older VW Eurovan camper. They stopped importing these in 2003. The 'conversion' is done by Winnebago. These vans go for insane prices in SoCal - like $80K+ for a reworked van. Despite this, VW just does not see enough of a market here to import these. If the Chicken Tax could be dropped, they could go for about 30 to 40% less, and a market might develop.

One would be better served, IMO, by the purchase of an older US van and installing a set of "kit' components. Enough of a market for more than one vendor to stay in business...

Like this
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Brits and some folks on OZ are way ahead of US vendors.

Dunerunner likes this.
  11. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I don't want to drift the Bug Out Cooking too far out of it's intended purpose, but I am considering a cabover camper for the Jeep Wrangler to pull behind the motorhome as a bug out vehicle from the bug out vehicle. I have seen a few that make me want to design my own. Maybe I will make a new thread when Morpheus isn't calling me quite so insistently.
    [bedtime]

Tully Mars, Yard Dart and chelloveck like this.
  12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

You guys are such newbees - you forgot all about tactical stoves:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seriously, though there are always these guys:

and Dakota Fire Holes if you can't carry all the gear and fuel or need a low profile:
    [​IMG]

The Dakota Fire Hole

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

And.... I'm so full of holes right now if I needed to bug out it would bring the Internet to a crawl if I listed them all. I do keep a BoB ready, but it's my old very non-camo backpack. I have the gear to support everything from one to a small party, but scattered and would take a bit to get together - and what crucial thing (Honey, did we pack the fuel?) would get missed in an emergency.

14. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I have one of those in just about every pack and car tote that I own...the ultimate last resort it will slip in your pocket stove.

15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

16. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Holy cow, haven't priced one in a couple of years. I can't believe how much they are now. I remember my very first one was as a Webelo (last year of Cub Scouts) and it cost less than $2, at the Scout Store no less (which was always actually more expensive than anywhere else).

Ganado likes this.
  17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I really like @DarkLight's purple tub idea. I am re-organizing everything and I think I need to color co-ordinate things. Green is medical, purple bug out cooking or camping. I was doing the put all you need in a tub- hodge podge of stuff but rotation was a pain. I have donated lots of stuff I had collected but realized that it was not practical. I had some of the boy scout mess kits- Classic Scout Mess Kit | Vermont's Barre Army Navy Store . They took up space and everything seemed to burn when I used them.

sarawolf, Tully Mars, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Red for fire evac?

19. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Food is at the bottom of my survival list, shelter being at the top. I do a lot of camping on my motor cycle. I carry a Henesey jungle hammock, a small down sleepin bag, Rain gear, some aluminum foil, first-aid kit, multi-tool, a survival shovel that doubles as an ax, a Kelly Kettle, several freeze-dried meals and energy bars, a sippy straw and camelback, a fishing kit and Colt Woodsman, a baggie of seasonings, a bit of honey,. Rarely have I ever actually opened one of the freeze-dried meals,usually catching a few fish or shooting a rabbit or some frogs or a squirrel. I might borrow a few ears of field corn, I am always scavenging for nuts, fruit, greens, and have had some pretty good meals from fresh road-kill. The purpose and intent of my bike trips is to have no real destination in mind, I just like to ride somewhere I've never been before and see what is there. Food is generally pretty easy to find.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    sarawolf, Dunerunner, Dont and 2 others like this.
  20. nathan

nathan Monkey+++

I really appreciate these topics as they are giving me ideas to fill my many holes in preps. I'm not as advancd as many of you, while I'm gaining ground each month. Thanks again

Dunerunner, Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Ganado
  5. DKR
  6. Dunerunner
  7. DKR
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. ED GEiN