Bug Out Cooking

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Yard Dart, Feb 28, 2017.

1. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Holes? Dang it, I knew I was forgetting something!

[​IMG]

2. shaman

shaman Monkey++

I've got several cooking kits. I have two Coleman Stainless kits that are good for 2 people. I have a Mirro Aluminum kit meant for 6 that I've had since the mid 80's, and a couple of small light aluminum mess kits for backpacking that work over an DIY alcohol stove. I also have a fully equipped kitchen at my BOL with Coleman stoves and oven backup. My Coleman stoves all have propane adapters so they can run gas, white gas or propane as needed. If SHTF, I'd have the means to survive until I could build a long term solution out of the abundant fieldstone.

It all depends on what the situation is and how many folks are bugging out with me. For general purpose for 2 for extended periods afield, you can't fault the Coleman Stainless with the copper bottoms. They're heavy, but sturdy and they show zero wear for 30 years of use.

Depending on the situation, I like to take either a heavy cast-iron griddle, a light aluminum camping griddle or an aluminum no-stick pan along for pancakes. These seem to me the best way of utilizing flour. You mix up a mess of batter, drop it on the griddle and the last few pancakes get peanuts thrown in as a mid-day snack.

Most of the time, I've taken a sturdy camp grill along when I could. However, if I have to go light, it's just a matter of setting the fire up differently.

Tully Mars, Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  3. The Patriotic

The Patriotic Ten generations of fighting.

I take this which is fully equipped and I mean fully equipped.

IMG_0532.

IMG_0783.JPG

Gator 45/70, sarawolf and Dunerunner like this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I can't imagine how those windshield wipers work ---

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you look close the wires are UNDER the Screening....

Tully Mars, Pax Mentis and Dunerunner like this.
  6. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

Some very good ideas and suggestions.
    We to wouldn't like to have to bug out and right now we could get out of here in about an hour. Big thing right at the moment is our big truck is down that is our hauler and needs fixed :(. Dh thinks it is the power steering lines. The snow has been to deep to do anything with it.
    We have several different ways to cook away from home. Coleman stove, 2 burner scout stove , can dig Indian fire holes if the ground isn't frozen, fire pits etc etc. I love my cast iron and have cooked with it for many decades. That's all we had when I was growing up.
    Bugout bags are normally always ready to go and have small folding camp stoves in them and fuel tabs.
    We will be doing another Preparedness class in May with the main theme on 72 hour kits (bugout bags) this time.

Motomom34, Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  7. At the moment all I have is a little hobo stove that I made and a cast iron skillet that I'm going to set up over a fire. I do admit that I need a better plan though but atm it's not at the top of my list.

8. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Dakota fire hole green sapling for the fire grate and canteen cup

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Ganado
  5. DKR
  6. Dunerunner
  7. DKR
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner