Bug Out Transportation

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Mortis, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Mortis

Mortis Snake Eater

Having noticed folks mentioning a Travois in several threads, I decided to update the concept for your viewing pleasure.

The Travios is constructed from 7/8ths O.D. X 1/2 I.D. steel tubing. It is sectional with 1/2 diameter LaSalle Stressproof steel rod inserted into the connecting ends to support the splices. One end of the rod is pinned into the tubing so it will stay put, and the other part is drilled to match a hole in the tube it inserts into. Pieces are held together by 1/4 inch carriage bolts.

[​IMG]

I then quickly laced 3/8ths diameter Marine line to form a basic lattace frame withint the carry area.

NOTE: The Line should be Pre-Stretched prior to using. In testing, not stretching caused a greater sag in the rope then considered. Also, my frame work was quickly done just to show an example. Each individual will have to pre-test the concept to find which method of weave works best.

[​IMG]

An inexpensive 6 x 8 plastic tarp serves as the carriage bed. It is tied together underneath using 550 Cord. It is also tied to the upper cross member to hold it in place.

[​IMG]

The wheels are your typical lawnmower wheels. The are on 1/2 inch, all threaded axlels. The axle is actually all-thread rod pinned to hold position in the cross memeber tubing. Nuts hold the crossmember to the frame, and another nut hold the wheel to the axle. The end of the axles are drill to accept a 1/8th cotter pin to prevent the nuts from spinning off during travel.

All nuts, washers, cotter pins, etc, are stored in bags. There are a minimum of twice the required hardware to prevent the loss of a single item preventing set-up during a night assembly.

There is also a 6 inch crescent wrench included in the bags to use to tighten the nuts on the cross members.

[​IMG]

For this purpose, I have laid out the disassembled items on the tarp for wrapping and storage. First chance I get, I'll put it all in an old duffle bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, my wrap is crap. Ever try to roll up unlike items into a neat package? Another reason for a duffle bag.

Overall length in storage is 39 inches.
    Overall weight in storage as shown is: 35 pounds
    Overall assembled length is 10 ft, 8 inches.
    Width at the wheels: 36 inches.

Estimated load capacity: 100 to 175 pounds.

I am currently looking for a pair of busted skateboards. I'll use them to make skids to be used in the snow or on wet ground, that will not support wheels.

At the handle end, the tubing has been knurled for a better grip. I've probably forgotten several things, but will add them as the come to mind. Also, I'll get a picture of the rod inserts and crossmembers. The pictures I took did not process as desired.

2. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Light weight tac barrow? I like it..
    Went to the renewable energy festside that in june(?) sat through a seminar on bicycle trailering, perhaps I'lll dig up the pics and get 'em online so I can share 'em. Bicycle "crazies" in madison moved the household of one of their friends across town; futrniture, refridgerator and all on bicycle...( Ok even they admit it was more of a publicity stunt than anything).
    All kidding aside Mortis ,this is a pretty cool invention..

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Very good idea, Mort. The only thing I might add would be larger diameter wheels that would make rolling in rough stuff a lot easier. (Downside of that is more weight, but the end result might work better.)

4. keleko

keleko Monkey+++ Founding Member

i thought you would be going for actual transportation

i.e., a bike, preferably with kickstart (never know just how much EMP is gonna hit you)

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Start circuit is very robust :push button/ solenoid (relay) and the dc starter motor Should be impervious to emp. Emp smokes semiconductors' newer model and older "cdi "ignitions would be toast. fuel injection would also be toast...
    An older points ignition/ carburetted bike would run for many years even after a burst provided it survived blast and thermal effects.

6. Ommega

Ommega Monkey+++

I've built something like it out of tree branches. I just drag the thin ends of the branches and let them wear out as they go. My half Cherokee friend showed me where to find all the parts I need in the woods. It is amazing what you can do with just a good knife and some string or cord.

The British SAS book is a must have item for folks that want to study this craft.

The Boy Scouts are taught many of the things necessary to survive in the sticks.

Still think I'll need a 4X4 wheelechair soon!

Your Bud,

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Drag the thick end, less weight to hold up, replace travois legs less often. You have to experiment a bit to find the best place (up or down the legs) for balance and weight. If you can rig it right against your lower back to stop any lurching, it works very well in open ground. Hills and woods are problematic.

8. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

The tires would be fine on pavement, but me thinks if you went off road with 100lbs of stuff them tires would suck big time. :mad:

OGM

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7