Building a 500 gallon diesel tank trailer

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by oil pan 4, Mar 24, 2020.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I would like to build a 500 gallon diesel tank trailer. I have a 500 gallon propane tank I got from the agg auction for $100 last year. It lacks a valve tree to be usable, which is about a $200+ part.
    I also have a barrel hand pump, mechanical, hand operated.
    The large barrel bung is a 2 inch NPT.
    So I bought a 2 inch NPT half coupler.

I watch Chemical Safety board videos on industrial accidents and cutting, grinding or welding on, next to or over top a flammable storage tank ranks just about at the top of the list for ways to die. Probably pull all the valves, let it air out for a few days. It appears to have two 3/4 inch NPT and a 1 inch NPT.
    So no plasma cutter. I'll hole saw it.
    To make it safe put an air line in one of the existing holes and pump in air from a running air compressor while hole sawing, that should eliminate explosive atmosphere.
    Not a little toy air compressor, probably use my 5hp gasoline powered air compressor.
    Once there is a about a 2.5 inch hole in that tank it should help reduce explosion potential. Then continue to purge the tank with air while welding. Instead of boom it goes wooosh, if it cooks off.

So diesel weighs about 7 pounds per gallon. That's 3,500lb of fuel if I could fill it up all the way. Or around 70 MM btu.
    I bet the empty tank weights 400 to 500lb.
    So just the propane tank filled with diesel assuming I could fill it all the way is pushing 2 tons.
    It should probably have a tandem axle trailer with a brake axle.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

have ya stripped the paint off of it and inspected it fer rust, corrosion, cracks, that sorta thing??

done a pressure test??

a static water test??

and so on??

I may have missed a thing or 2 or 4 .. ..

[winkthumb] [winkthumb]

3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

500 gallon may require a DOT or State issuedd permit/license for hazmat....

4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

AS well as a diked storage area.

5. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

108 gallon limit of hauled fuel without a CDL with Hazmat certification and trailer must meet all DOT specs. We just went through all of it to build an emergency fuel trailer for the transmitter site. Ended up with a 100 gallon tank on a much smaller trailer.

6. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

OH YAAA - 500 gallons on the road - you betcha >>> you couple an unrated & uncertified bulk hauler with a spill and your life is over ...

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I see a lot of home made big fuel tankers in new Mexico.since I'm white and have money therefore the law applies to me and I am liable.
    I do have a 50 gallon tank I can toss on the back of another trailer.

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

No oil pan,Just no.....The tank and trailer are ''Grandfathered'' in since this has been in the family since way before any rules and regulations......

9. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

yep - the big farming ops around here sometimes have their own tanker for re-fueling the rolling stock out in the fields - alot of times it's a 100 gallon fuel tank on their maintenance & re-supply flatbed

10. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Now, if you don't take it on the highway and just use it around the farm, the sky is the limit as long as you're not a commercial operation.

3cyl, Thunder5Ranch and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

You would be better off using Co2 or Argon as a purging gas. I have a squirrel fan necked down to fit into the opening on the tank. I plug it in and let it run for 3-4 days. Gas sniff it and if it's good use the torch or plasma. If not run the fan a few more days and or charge it with Co2.
    You would be wise to hydro test it 1st to be sure it's worth the effort.

3cyl, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

[ditto]

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Pull all the removable valves... Fill it with water, to overflowing, for a few days..... Empty it out and then do you fabricating with whatever you like... When Done, let it Air Dry, in the Sun, for a few more days, and reinstall the Valves, on fabricated ports... then fill, with Fuel....

14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm good with a fixed tank.
    Building a 4k tandem axle fuel tanker was kind of a big project.

The tank has had pressure in it for a year. I figured as long as it has pressure in it water and dirt aren't getting in and there's no cracks or holes rusted through.
    I could pump it up with 120psi of air and see if it comes apart.

All I need to make the smaller stainless tank mobile is some wooden stands cut from something like a 2x8.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

No joke, i got busted for having more then 100 gallons of fuel on board one of my nom CDL trucks! They gave me a pass on it as its not a comercial truck, but warned me that I could expect troubles in other counties and states!
    Had to re engineer the rig to hide the tanks better, which turned out to be a good thing anyway!
    Also, dont ever get caught using a water tank to carry fuel, big no-no! Ask me how I know this!

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

With the oil prices going down I'm going to have to get moving on this.
    Hell I haven't even poured the pad.

17. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Im full and next is to build the roof structure next week ,got all the Fir milled and now its in the drying room.
    Pads here are a Taxable item !!

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2620.JPG

The green paste inside the bowl , is water sensitive and turns pink .
    We use this to sound tanks. Split tank Runing Diesel #1 /Biodiesel .
    Last weeks work !!Quick unions to swap filler hose on all my tidys and tanks.
    Sloth

18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I still got a ways to go. I loaded 960lb of concrete in my Nissan leaf, will need to do that 2 or 3 more times before I have enough to pour the pad.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

For fixed tankage, might be worth looking at TnAndy's installation for ideas.

20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Your stuff is always so neat and tidy. Well done!

TnAndy, Gator 45/70 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7