Building an AK:

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Nomad 2nd, Dec 30, 2007.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Check Magnus' thread on AK builds. About the only thing I can think of that might be "special" is something to set rivets with. Or do a screw build, then there's nothing out of the ordinary involved.

2. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

There are a few things that will make all of this easier, but can be done with a Hammer, set of punches and emory clothe a vice is great too.

I would recommend getting a pulley puller from Auto Zone, and a set of 18' bolt cutter from harbor frieght (cheapies). You can make the rivet smasher from the bolt cutters, and the pulley puller will make getting the barrel out pretty easy.

I think EL has mine and if he can ship them you are welcome to borrow them. He may have my pulley puller also...same deal.

3. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I do have the rivet smasher, but not sure about the pulley puller. The other day I was looking for my bolt cutters saw then in the drawer of the tool box, pulled them out and was about to use them when all of the sudden I realized they were the rivet smashers.

We need to do some more building sometime Charlie. That 75% completed AMD is still on the shelf, along with the Romy kits.

4. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

i have a AK kit im working on/ well sorta. i was using the BFH method of barrel removal and i broke the vice i was using to hold it. So as of right now the barrel is about half out
    I wish someone that has done this before was closer to austin i could use some advice.
    ahh back to the knife making

5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

COuldn't find a Polish Tantal kit so I just ordered two Romy kits. We'll see how they go together. What kind of receivers can I use? Are the receivers considered a firearm or just parts?

6. E.L.

They can be counted as part of your U.S. parts requirements, but they have to go througth a FFL.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

In other words, the receiver is the firearm. They can be had in at least three flavors, two thicknesses of sheet metal and one forged (or cast, I can't remember which) Then, if you are ambitious, you can buy them in the flat and do your own bending.

8. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

and if you buy them in the flat and do your own bending then the flat is NOT considered a firearm and dont have to go through an FFL and so long as you never sell, give away or trade it then you dont have to have a serial number or anything else and there is no record of the guns existance.

9. Nomad 2nd

Nomad 2nd Monkey+++

And you CAN sell it if you inscribe your name, town, a serial #, and do a couple other things which I forget...

10. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Correct but it has to IIRC be registered with the AFT and a serial number given for it to be legal to transfer. So long as it is never transfered it never has to exist on any paper anywhere.

11. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

anyone in texas doing a ak build?

12. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Maybe EL and I could get back together one wkend and do this again?

What do you think EL?

13. E.L.

I would love to, just give me some advance notice to clean out the garage, get set up, and schedule some relief at work as right now I am working 7 days a week.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7