Building and Stocking a Retreat

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Clyde, May 20, 2006.

1. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

The Basics of Stocking a Retreat For One Year, by Buckshot - SurvivalBlog.com

this is right up the alley of recent discussions I have been having with myself (yes, I hear voices in mind and I don't see dead people) as well as others. I have been considering for years buying some land and building a "hunt camp" which would double as a bug out. I have now saved enough to get a decent 80 acre parcel and want to build some sort of shelter.

My perfect world is a nice log home with all the wind, solar, etc. My current thinking is to build a decent sized pole barn with a toilet, well, and wood stove and add the other items later.

Food for Thought

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Great link Clyde, I have been there before but not in a good while. I spent a lot of time just searching their web site. I may have to try that clothes washing trick with the five gallon jug. Good stuff.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Nice article.
    Kinda make you look at what your dream is vs What You Got Now huh?

That's why I usually am more interested in an upward move than a lateral or backtrack move when it comes to sniffing out new retreat locations.

It's got to have more than what I have now or at least a firm plan to get there

4. melbo

Here's what I'm thinking is still needed at my place:

• Solar/Hydro grid-tie with bypass to a dry battery bank
      Greenhouse/s Earth banked with Hydroponics system
      Manual well pump for my virgin, second well
      Better way of heating, be-it a wood stove that we install whenn needed or an insert into my existing FP
      Composting Toilet/s Either remote system or self contained. www.envirolet.com
      More stored fuel and some small critters raised on site

Problem for me with the 'hunting cabin' type scenario is that I almost already live that one. My further preps seem to need tending and I'm hesitant to move stocks to an unattended locale. I'd also like to get the greenhouse up and running and that takes daily tending as well

For a short term, (Under a month or 2), a 'winterized' cabin that a few parties manage to get to and activate would be fine. Anything longer term and you need to start 'living' to replenish what you are using. IMHO, that is much easier to already have running before the crash.

But, How to convince the wife and kids to move to the sticks and liva Backwoods Home lifestyle? That is the real crux that keeps many of us from being able to do it the way we really want to.

Good food for thought

5. E.L.

Good food for thought. We just got back from Sam's and Lowe's, another $175 in canned goods, plus five gallon buckets with tight sealing lids from Lowe's that we use to store flour, sugar, and rice. Slowly but surely.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

For better or worse, I don't have that problem. I know the restraints that you are dealing with. Conveniently, my kids and ex are pretty well on their own. At least to a point: The kids are welcome, ex not (tho' her current hubby is pretty handy with wood.) My holdup is financial and employment. What I do just about requires living in a populous area, and acquiring a bit of land has to wait. In the meantime, I'm betting on BO to save my skin. There are several "where to go" places depending largely on hazard assessment at the time of occurance. Eventually, there will be a fixed base. but even then I'll need a backup in case that spot becomes untenable due to circumstance. This again points to some of the discussions we've had along the way that indicates some cooperation will be very desirable.

7. melbo

Yes. The regional BOLs with an open door policy...

I would love to have a net like that set up. Badly
    Perhaps we should discuss What We Have Now. Even if not perfect, would be a start.

If we had a few places in range, we could pool some $$ to make further improvements instead of each of us looking at starting from scratch.

I think Clyde is looking at Eastern KY NE TN. G, how far are you from say Lexington?

8. ghrit

Very roughly 525 miles. Or at least that's what mapquest says. EZ enough to make that in a day, especially if pressed and traffic is willing. The Marylanders are a bit further up the pike, say all within 2 hours of me here. [winkthumb]

I could make a pretty good case for adjoining land holdings, keeps the "pool" cool, so to say. Around here, there are shared wells and septic systems that serve separate properties. :dunno:

9. melbo

In TN, We drill one hole for the septic AND well. Saves on labor [gone]

10. ghrit

Owie. :evil: :eek:

11. E.L.

:shock: [gone]

1. mechstdr
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Coyote Ridge