Building my first AR

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by wags_01, Aug 26, 2011.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I don't understand: are you saying if you have 5 uppers that you've built over time, just as a hobby...or for whatever reason, there's a law that says you have to have a lower for each upper you're in possession of??

Hispeedal2 likes this.
  2. ISplatU

ISplatU Monkey+

That is what I did too, and I am happy with my gun!

3. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Guit, it "CLAIMS" 350 hours battery life at Normal Settings, BUT the Batteries it uses, are mere AA batteries. Cheap Easy To Find Batteries. Bet I could even use Rechargables, & a lil Solar Battery Recharger to charge the batteries. :)

4. kansasrebel

kansasrebel Monkey++

here's a pic of the m4 that I built using Bushmaster parts. I did it over time. The paint job is Duracoat. The can is an elite iron.
    m4 and goodies 001.

NVBeav likes this.
  5. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Yes. It's not just a good idea, it's the Law.

This law is actually less expensive than the WHO recommendation of less than 5 parts per billion H2S emissions, so go ahead and get as many uppers and matching lowers as you can (and let your wife know how many $Millions you are saving!).

Good luck! I'll be out for a few weeks, so any questions will have to wait :^)

Sincerely,
    Fred Flinstone

6. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I disagree with this statement--perhaps you were trying to be funny.

Unless you have some funky state law (like CA, MA, MD, or NY--whatever the states are now that require a fired case for ballistic fingerprint), only the stripped lower is considered a firearm by the BATFE and what goes on the 4473 as 'any other weapon'. You can buy as many uppers as you want, without having to go through an FFL I might add, and use them interchangeably on the one lower. Maybe you have an upper with a heavy match barrel for one hobby, and a few other uppers for other hobbies.

If you were correct, then Thompson Center's Encore/Contender line of guns are blatantly illegal since you can have one frame and buy almost any barrel/caliber combination that you want....with the exception of those states listed above.

7. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

I see you're a very serious person. I was giving Kckndrgn excuses to buy more equipment and must have replied to you by accident.

Next time I won't invoke the quote from Ben Hur 5:56, but will use the less-abrasive Sparticus 2:23 -- "Go in peace and buyeth your AR setup with or without lower receiver since most art interchangeable nor art there heinous laws to add flies to the fragrance of the apothecary."

[aiw]

8. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Me...a serious person? Not at all.......but, I do get a little nervous if I think I'm in violation of the King's decrees. I like waking up to an alarm clock....not a flash-bang.

Inside joke...I see. Carry on....[beer]

9. hammer502

hammer502 Monkey+

i have purchased 2 stripped lowers from psm and the quality on them is great. a buddy on another board recommended them to me after i saw the sale around fathers day(49.95 ea.). i would recommend them to as the lowers look excellent,although haven't assembled either one yet. i built my pistol on a delton lower and these look as good. i am currently looking for a big bore upper( 450 bushmaster,458 socom, or 50 beowulf) to make a pistol out of,as funds allow.

10. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

11. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

If you can use a torque wrench, you can barrel an AR. Its cake.

12. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Anyone have a Wylde chamber?

14. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

No, I use 5.56 chambers. I buy 5.56 practice ammo, but reload .223 spec ammo for storage/hunting/SHTF type stuff.

People do rave over the wylde for precision-type builds where one is more apt to use .223 match loads, but still wants the ability to shoot 5.56.

As a side note, I don't notice terrible accuracy when shooting .223 out of a 5.56 chamber. For example, my .223 pet load (69 gn OTM behind Tac) shoots about 1" out of my 5.56 lightweight profile, chrome lined, unfloated barrel. Go figure. Optics are mini-ACOG. That same chamber with a better bore would probably be well within .75 MOA, especially with better optics. All the match chambers I had were .223 minimal-dimension. Of course they were excellent shooters. I currently don't have any match barrels.

Side note to the side note: I am running these pet loads off a Dillon 650 with standard primers and a Hornandy case-activated powder drop. Its as automated as I can make it.

15. wags_01

wags_01 Monkey+

Guit_fishN likes this.
  16. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Monkey+

I may be a bit biased...

But I have not seen anyone mention Del-ton? I have been a customer of theirs for a while and they have been getting better and better. I am not trying to advertise. I just really like their rifles for the money.

These barrels are also 4150
    Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" M4 Rifle Kit

NVBeav likes this.
  17. Truman

Truman Monkey+

18. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

I helped a friend do one of these a few weeks ago and it works real well .Put it on a DTI lower and all went together as planed !!
    Myself I always go with a .308 but each their own .

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7