Bullets at impact

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by sniper-66, Jan 1, 2006.

1. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Saw that. Notice the 5.56 tumbling? I know there were early on questions as to the suitability of the bullets available, and also that there were some experiments in twist vs. stability. What were the final compromises made, and for a 1:9 twist, what is the best weight bullet?

But that is a bit off topic. The orange juice shot is impressve, but the shot of the 22 cavity more so. The photographic setup had to be tedious, but a spectacular result.

3. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think the 55 gr. is what Ghostrider was trying to say about the 5.56. It tumbles after it hits, which in my book isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless you are trying to line up several people in a row. It still did it's job.

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

While hunting in light to moderate brush, the 5.56 is not as reliable as some other heavier rounds. Besides that, the unpredictable tumble is advantageous like has already been mentioned.

5. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Roger. Actually, I didn't know an M193 would yaw in only the three inches through an orange. Learn something new every day.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7