Bunker Expansion

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BenP, Jun 28, 2020 at 14:46.

1. BenP

BenP Monkey++ Site Supporter+

The kids are getting too big to share a room so I am adding 2 bedrooms and a bathroom on each side of the house. I'm doing everything myself with a little help from my friends.

IMG_20200624_071712.
    IMG_20200626_081558.
    IMG_20200627_140629.

2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Nice ,, how thick are you pouring those walls ???

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

Got to be at least 4” to be viable under its own weight.. more likely 6”.... I would be interested in the answer as well...

BenP, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  4. BenP

Outside walls are 12" the inside walls will be 8"

Tully Mars, mysterymet, ghrit and 3 others like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

Nice...

BenP, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

One things for sure ,, you're building a quality home. What type of form system are you using ?? Kinda hard to tell from the pics. Just curious,, I haven't really done much concrete forming since the late 80s ,, mostly built plywood and 2x4 forming back then ,, used Symons forms a few times ,, man ,, that made things go quicker. Just haven't kept up with all the different forming systems over the years.

BenP and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Nice, I'm seeing.....Look out towers...Cough,Cough

BenP likes this.
  8. BenP

This is a plywood clamp system by a company called Gates. A bank in WV was selling a complete system they had repossessed and I bought it. I bought the plywood at Menards, it is wall forming plywood and has some sort of really smooth surface.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. BenP

We got really frustrated dealing with contractors on the main part of the house so I decided to do the new additions myself. It has been a bit of a learning curve but it is rewarding seeing the results of your labor and will probably save us 50% on costs.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yes sir ,, if you've got the time and a little knowledge,, you can save some money. Especially in concrete,, some of them guys make some really good money , but you've got to know how and when to work it ,, or it'll work you. Looks like you're doing well. (y)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Bars on the kid's windows?
    Smart choice:D

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7