Bunny hutch from scraps

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by ditch witch, Jan 23, 2013.

1. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

As usual, I have more animals than I have pens for, and with two does due to kindle on the 28ths, I needed somewhere to stash 3 baby bunnies that I want to add to the breeding pen later on. Except, I'm out of pens and out of money to build more.

HOWEVAH... I got to staring at one half of a 55 gallon plastic barrel that I'd had left over after cutting a bunch up to put under the other cages... and some 2x4s ... a scrap of OSB, and thought, I'm gonna make a cage. I had to buy the wire, and no one in town had the 1x2 square mesh so had to go with the smaller hardware cloth type.

Pros: big enough for the kits to grow out in, wire floor up off ground so the droppings fall through, hard plastic shelter will keep out rain and wind.
    Cons: there's a lip around the edges where the 2x4 runs that will collect poop, didn't measure too great and have a gap at the rear so will need to plug that to kill drafts, low ceiling at 12" so not suitable for grown rabbits who won't be able to stand up
    1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7.

KAS, chelloveck and kellory like this.
  2. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Necessity is truly the mother of invention.

Way to take care of your need!:cool:

ditch witch likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7