Bushcraft blades

Discussion in 'Blades' started by zulu54, Jan 21, 2010.

1. zulu54

zulu54 Monkey++

Any views on bushcraft blades? I was watching a BBC doc bout some fellow named Ray Mears. I noticed his knife right off the bat and took a fancy to the shape of the blade.

No doubt he has a custom piece with a price tag to match. I'm looking around for production pieces priced for the working man.

I saw a nice piece from europe, an F1 Fallkniven. I believe it is the survival knife for the Swedish airforce.

Anyone have any experience with these or can suggest sometning similar in a similar price range.

Thanks in advance

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If you really want to get your hands on a great carbon steel blade that will last a lifetime and function for just about any bushcraft needs, get yourself a Swedish Mora. There are all kinds of varieties out there, and nearly every one should run you no more than $30.

The F1 Falkniven is a sweet blade, but more costly.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  3. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

I make my own bushcraft knife but have not made any for a few months now because of other work commitments.

[​IMG]

4. hog

hog Drinking Mampoer.

have a Woodlore knife but use my S65 knife and another sent to me by a member on another site.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brokor likes this.
  5. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Very cool blades.

I'm a fan of anything 4-6" and carbon steel. I wish I had pics of the Helle blade I handled.

I am a fan of the Mora knives too. I keep a couple around for butchering.

<------ Check avatar photo for my latest knife.

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

7. hog

hog Drinking Mampoer.

I have this this Mora and is a favorite of mine, do nearly all my wood carving with it.
    [​IMG]

8. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Moras are real good knives,ive had a few.

This is the one i have now its from the 1940s and made by Carl Anderson.
    [​IMG]

9. sharpeblades

sharpeblades Monkey+

Bushcraft knives

It would be hard to beat a Mora knife for the money. If i can find out how to post pictures i will post some of my favorites
    IMG_3117.JPG IMG_3118.JPG IMG_3120.JPG

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Pretty simple, if all goes according to plan. Hit "reply" and up comes a message window. Below that, you'll find a box that will allow you to upload a pic from your hard drive or other widget where the pic is stored. Quick reply won't do it, you gotta go the full monte.

11. sharpeblades

sharpeblades Monkey+

Pictures

Thank you i will give it a try after supper (Home made hamburgers with all the trimming and home made fries)

12. azranger

azranger Monkey+

Moras are good knives, especially for the price. While I have many of them, the new craftline series for about $30 look especially nice and have a better tang on them.

13. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

This is my main bushcraft knife,I made it from old english carbon steel with a 4" blade and white oak scales.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. chelloveck
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Aspiring_Caveman
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. Dunerunner
  9. 3M-TA3
  10. DKR