Bushcraft Building on Discovery Channel

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by DKR, Nov 17, 2017.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

So - new TV show. Still 'reality TV' - but this one seems to have a bit of real life, non-fiction involved.

Production values are reasonable, the HS drama that seems to infest these kind of shows was missing for the most part.

Would I take any of this (stuff shown on the episode) as a good idea or even a good example? So far, not a chance.

I'm actually looking forward to the next episode, and it has been entertaining - something really lacking these days.

Anybody else catch the show? Your thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Didn’t catch it, but still Discovery is known for some dodgey Shows... A lot has to do with the Production Company... Gold Rush, Alaska Bush People, Alaska, The Last Frontier, and a few others...

Gator 45/70, Brokor and sec_monkey like this.
  3. yeti695

yeti695 Monkey+

I did. It was ok, just seems like a tv show for people that need that attention. If there was nothing else on, or I didnt have anything else to do I might watch again.

4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Watched about 10 minutes and knew what they were doing was a waste of time for any full time shelter.

DKR likes this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

In a way, it's a morbid fasciation for me, kind of like a train wreck, you just know it's all going to fall apart. I'm kind of watching to see if any one learns the right ways to do things.

6. DKR

Yup. When the one group just leaned a couple of logs against a live tree - an Aspen no less, to hold the roof up -- I told my wife- "I wonder who dies in this episode?"

DuxDawg, 3M-TA3, chelloveck and 3 others like this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

As a caveat, I caught Mr. Bruce on TV not too long ago for a moment. :)

Yes, lots of garbage programming with these "reality" shows on television. I do like this guys YouTube Channel, however: Primitive Technology

Motomom34, chelloveck and DKR like this.
  8. BTPost

Your welcome to Pizza Wed, anytime you want to show up Brokor.....

Meat, Brokor and sec_monkey like this.
  9. BTPost

I caught the BushCraft Aspen Shelter episode, last night... Very interesting... I noticed the Double LeanToo Shelter could have been a lot more stable if the builder, had fitted the Main supports into the Verticle Trees, with a mortice & Tendon Joint, similar to the other fellows structure, and used the other fellows Wooden Nails, to pin the Joints, to secure them against movement... Depending on just Gravity, just isn’t stable enough...

DuxDawg likes this.
  10. DKR

OK - episode 2. Better.

Both builds were a bit more realistic. The 'bog' location made more sense as water was nearby as was a fair amount of dry wood etc.

What I didn't understand is that one guy would fell a tree, then the log would cut once to twice again - seems like a lot of wasted effort, if they had a bit more careful in felling.

The saws there are using are small - almost like a pruning say. Why not a good sized buck saw?
    Also - the rules say one tool per person - yet each seem to have a guy-normous knife - damn near a gladiolus (Roman short sword) - this in addition to an axe etc.

It was fun seeing the one crew salvage the leather from the dead cow. Finally - neither shelter would be worth a damn in any kind of rainstorm. Shade - yes. Weather protection - not hardly. I expect to see "the game" being raised as the season goes on.

DuxDawg and Motomom34 like this.
  11. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I’d love to hang out there with you folks. Sounds so cool. :D

12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

It's like watching The Three Stooges Go To The Alaskan Bush. I have the same morbid fascination like others have expressed.

DuxDawg and chelloveck like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Did catch part of a HGTV show the other day on container homes, Interesting.

14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I thought that was interesting, too. Also the earth based cooling/heating system.

DuxDawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. DKR

Episode 3 - an hour of my life I will never get back.

If these two are "the best Bush-crafters" in the US, I think we need to look at the definition of 'best'.

Neither raft would have held up for any length of time - and to cross a lake, they could have knocked together a few longs and paddled. I also found the - almost obsession - with the pegs to be...a waste of time. There was nothing that could have used as cordage?

Worse part of this episode was no teaser for what might be covered in the next session. It will likely be one I miss.

16. BTPost

and on a lake that size one would just walk around it to get to the other side...

1. chelloveck
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Aspiring_Caveman
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. Dunerunner
  9. DKR
  10. AxesAreBetter
  11. The_Prepared
  12. sdr