Business Advice Needed: CS Bowie or Kabar Big Brother?

Discussion in 'Blades' started by AxesAreBetter, May 14, 2016.

Tags:
?
  1. Cold Steel Bowie

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Kabar Big Brother

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Other (Please, do tell)

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. Neither (Save Your Money/They are both Junk)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Bah. Anybody got anything to say on topic, Glad to Hear it.

I actually have a couteau de chasse/cuttoe/cutlass that I carry hunting with me. In the process of browning it, so I',m not going to post a pic just yet. Eventually, I'd like to lay aside enough cash to start carrying some things like it, stuff that is worth spending "sword" money on. I'd like to get in some more custom stuff, but I have been having problems either finding a smith, or agreeing on a price we can both make money at.

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

What is your price range?

3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I am open for seeing what y'all, and by extension, the market might consider for alternatives. I'm currently living on the edge, and trying to get off to one side. Trying real hard not to shoot from the hip, and cut up again.

Suggest away. Anything I can't swing this go round, I can at least use for future reference.

Yard Dart likes this.
  4. HK_User

Can you produce a sheath for a Smith Made or Production Knife?

5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Anything over $70 I have been having a hard time trying to sell, but I am still introducing my market to the idea that a knife guy will be showing up if you have the money. So, preferably something below that I can still get in, pay my taxes on, and still make a profit on. Especially if I can find some living history stuff. I'd love to get my hands on some historical pocket knives that I could turn someone loose in the bush with (them Pakistani ones everyone sells for $20 are butter knives). Maybe a few more things, I know that they tend to like "camp" or "fighting" stuff around here, especially if you can back up that it'll hold together.
    That vid of the Winchester bowie somebody posted is what people are used to dealing with around here, and I am gonna try and turn the corner on that at a reasonable price.

I am trying to figure out how, actually. I am picking up a few sheath making kits some that I can get my hands on them, and see everything in real time, where I can get my hands on it. I also have some books for more theoretical stuff like enlarging and whatnot, but I have to get my hands on a "done right" piece first to be able to apply the knowledge. I can, however, pick up all of the sheath making supplies wholes if I get it figured to where I am comfortable with it.

Thinking about, I also have access to some prebuilt sheaths from one of my suppliers, if I need to go that route.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
  6. HK_User

Bear with me as I suggest this next product.

It is a Puma with a German Blade. As such it is a good looking well finished product "for the price".

Its problem is the handle, it is a wimpy bit of wood, but, if you had an antler and a bit of leather you could make a
    decent handle and a frontier sheath.

That would turn it into a Bowie of the like of the Sheffield from England in the 1800s.

Figure two hours work and you could start by asking $125 and have room to work with.

The handle in the picture is not what you will receive.
    • [​IMG]
    Puma Knives 6116396w
    by Puma Knives
    Price: $38.27 & FREE Shipping
    Estimated Delivery Date: May 18 - 23 when you choose Expedited at checkout.
    Ships from and sold by KnifeCountryUSA.
    • 10 7/8" Overall
    5 new from $38.25

7. HK_User

The frontier sheaths were little more than thin leather put together with twisted grass, sinew or maybe some cut strips of leather lacing.

So I suggest that a bit of cast off scrap leather trimmings would work well unless your are into leather sheaths with bead work.

Of late I have been using Kevlar as a thread for my "home mades" it is usually found in a shade of yellow and blends well with home mades.

Here is a few other options with finished blades in the Frontier Bowie circa 1750s or so.

I do not have any experience with this company. I present them as samples for what was around.
    Rifleman's Knives
    Rifleman's Knives | Crazy Crow Trading Post

Home > Knives & Knife Making > Ready Made Knives > Rifleman's Knives

[​IMG]
    Frontier Rifleman’s Knife with Sheath

Code: 4926-005-002
    Price: $45.00

[​IMG]
    18th Century Kentucky Rifleman's Knife with Sheath

Code: 4926-005-005
    Price: $45.00

[​IMG]
    Rifleman's Knife with Sheath

Code: 4928-005-003
    Price: $189.00

[​IMG]
    French Style Belt Knife with Sheath

Code: 4928-005-004
    Price: $175.00

[​IMG]
    Copperhead Rifleman's Knife with Sheath

Code: 4926-005-016
    Note Sale Pricing
    ON SALE THRU 6/30/2016
    Regular Price: $
    SALE Price: $46.75

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
  8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Doesn't Kevlar mold and degrade when sweat on?

I've had some dealings with those blades before. The more expensive ones can be pretty good, but a lot of their stuff is untempered crap, and I am trying to dig myself out of that hole..bought some on some bad advice.

Appreciate it though. I will look into the puma.

I'm really on some tight funds right now, and trying to get bang for buck at the moment...very hard to have good ideas and no moneys. Haha.

The groups I am in with run pre-1800, pre-1850, 1850-1865, and whatever you prepper boys take a shine to. There is not enough locally to support just one interest, but I loose out when I don't have something for everyone to look over. Haha. I could easily get used to this though. Vending is fun, if you can handle the sunshine and the lack of grilling permits. Haha.

9. HK_User

Kevlar is about as tough as it comes in the thread world. I figure the leather sheath would be gone long before the
    thread that holds it together. Most days I wear pants made of a 60/40 combo (kevlar/nomex). Around 90 degrees it starts to feel warm but not oppressive.

10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That's cool. I find myself wearing more and more of my "Injun" kit as time goes on, unless I am making a trip into town. Seems to keep me the most comfortable, and the old timey stuff does a great job of keeping the bugs off.

11. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

@HK_User , Do you have personal expierence with one of those Miyabi blades? I may need a new carry blade..

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I like to buy American whenever possible. That said, I will say that Cold Steel knives, if they are actually Cold Steel knives and not fakes, should never break on you. I have dozens of CS blades, machetes, and one of their swords. As for China, let's try not to live in the past. The Chinese have come a very long distance with quality, and aside from the cheaply made counterfeit items, the actual blades sold by Cold Steel, Kershaw, and some other big name makers are actually pretty damn good.

But, if you really want the best, you simply must go with custom from the ground up.

fighter_dl1. Llewellyn knives, our very own Valkman (sadly no longer making knives)

My own fighter, 60RHC and made of my favorite steel on Earth, CPM154 --
    DSC00369.JPG

Witch Doctor 01 and Yard Dart like this.
  13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

The Chinese stuff I referenced is so junk, it is listed as "From China", not even a brand...

There are some clean lines on that steel.

Brokor likes this.
  14. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yeah, much of the no-name mass produced Chinese items are utter trash. And some of the counterfeit blades are surprisingly good, too. It's "hit and miss", depending on who manufactures the stuff from China. Too much risk involved if you ask me.

This reminds me of a story NutNFancy did one time about some Hinderer blades...

But NutNFancy ended up removing his video on the Hinderer Chinese clones because it drew a large amount of contempt even though it was an honest review. The reason why is because the Chinese cloned blades are literally rip-offs, using the makers logo, name, and advertising it as actually being heat treated by the same company, which isn't true. The actual Hinderer knives are still better quality, but the Chinese really are getting close. This should serve as an example (and possible warning) of how far they have come.

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  15. HK_User

Yes, I bought the model you see in the post. I was looking for a Blade that is large yet slim, concealable but right for defense. The Miyabi covers most of what I see as a need. I am just starting to go into a daily carry and have the leather I need to make the sheath to carry concealed. This is not a true fighter but is a slicer and dicer type knife. It is a Japanese production copy of a self defense blade that was used to make a strike and then break contact.

The sheath provided is sufficient for shipping or storage, which is always a good thing.

The steel is of good quality but I have yet to do any real work with it.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  16. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

All my knives are tools and are used, be it dressing out game or cutting up a steak, and could see some hard use.. Thanks for the recomend..

17. HK_User

I could see this knife as a great butcher knife, long enough to slice out a rack of rib from an animal on the ground or as butcher blade in the kitchen.

kellory and Dont like this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. GOG
  4. Andy the Aussie
  5. JLRhiner
  6. Hanzo
  7. Hanzo
  8. Andy the Aussie
    ...it's my excuse anyway... ;) [IMG] [IMG]
    Thread by: Andy the Aussie, Dec 21, 2018, 8 replies, in forum: Blades
  9. STGThndr