but other forms of trolling are done to push a specific agenda.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldDude49, Jan 22, 2020.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Yes I know many are already aware of these people...

Internet trolls are people who want to provoke and upset others online for their own amusement. Here’s how to spot the signs that someone is a troll, and how to handle them.

What Are Internet Trolls?
    If you’ve been on the internet for any period of time, you’ve likely run into a troll at some point. An internet troll is someone who makes intentionally inflammatory, rude, or upsetting statements online to elicit strong emotional responses in people or to steer the conversation off-topic. They can come in many forms. Most trolls do this for their own amusement, but other forms of trolling are done to push a specific agenda.

Trolls have existed in folklore and fantasy literature for centuries, but online trolling has been around for as long as the internet has existed. The earliest known usage of the term can be traced back to the 1990s on early online message boards. Back then, it was a way for users to confuse new members by repeatedly posting an inside joke. It’s since turned into a much more malicious activity.

Signs Someone Is Trolling
    It can sometimes become difficult to tell the difference between a troll and someone who just genuinely wants to argue about a topic. However, here are a few tell-tale signs that someone is actively trolling.

• Off-topic remarks: Completely going off-topic from the subject at hand. This is done to annoy and disrupt other posters.
    • Refusal to acknowledge evidence: Even when presented with hard, cold facts, they ignore this and pretend like they never saw it.
    • Dismissive, condescending tone: An early indicator of a troll was that they would ask an angry responder, “Why you mad, bro?” This is a method done to provoke someone even more, as a way of dismissing their argument altogether.
    • Use of unrelated images or memes: They reply to others with memes, images, and gifs. This is especially true if done in response to a very long text post.
    • Seeming obliviousness: They seem oblivious that most people are in disagreement with them. Also, trolls rarely get mad or provoked.
    The list above is by no means definitive. There are a lot of other ways to identify that someone is trolling. Generally, if someone seems disingenuous, uninterested in a real discussion, and provocative on purpose, they’re likely an internet troll.

more here if ya care... (ooooo I'm a poet n didn't know it.... )[touchdown]

https://www.howtogeek.com/465416/what-is-an-internet-troll-and-how-to-handle-trolls/

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Sounds like all man made global warming believes.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

all kinds bought & paid for political trolls out there >>>>> if there's regular "anti" candidate or party postings you can expect trolls ....
    they estimate Prez Trumps'd Twitter responses at a 30% paid troll rate ...

Gator 45/70 and OldDude49 like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Thank you for your public service announcement. I shall now be able to identify an internet troll when I see one. ;)

Gator 45/70, hot diggity and oldawg like this.
  5. magicfingers

magicfingers Monkey+++

You is one!!!!! LOL

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

all Chell needs to do is look.... in the ..... However, he is Our ..... and we still love him...

7. chelloveck

I like to think of myself as the irritant that keeps the immune system active and functional. An often unappreciated role in this place ;)

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Even good dogs need a touch of the rolled up newspaper (if you all remember what a newspaper looks like) now and then. Ol' chelly has felt it on occasion before ---

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. chelloveck

Sometimes justifiably....and sometimes less so....where IS Minuteman these days???? Some mods are a little more sensitive than others, lol :p

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Days like this, makes me really miss Gunkid...

11. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Not Gunkid again.

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Ah, fond memories of Falcon15 & GunKidd.........

oldawg, Sapper John and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I still love you man!

14. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Let's not forget the infamous Gecko 45!

oldawg, Sapper John and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7