Butchering the Xrock meat birds

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by sarawolf, Jun 21, 2017.

1. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

Pictures of our day of butchering. The neighbors had theirs in with ours to be raised here at our place and had to come later in the day. His daughter wanted to learn how to butcher birds as well. Sorry this thing doubled some of the pics but when I take out the double it takes out both of them.
    IMG_2079.JPG IMG_2076.JPG IMG_2093.JPG IMG_2084.JPG IMG_2080.JPG IMG_2081.JPG IMG_2087.JPG IMG_2090.JPG IMG_2105.JPG IMG_2106.JPG IMG_2107.JPG IMG_2079.JPG IMG_2076.JPG IMG_2093.JPG IMG_2084.JPG IMG_2080.JPG IMG_2081.JPG IMG_2087.JPG IMG_2090.JPG IMG_2105.JPG IMG_2106.JPG IMG_2107.JPG

2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Looks like you had a clean and efficient set up!

Aeason, chelloveck and sec_monkey like this.
  3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Nice Ms
    Sloth

Ganado and Aeason like this.
  4. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

Thank you, yes we try hard to keep things clean and organized.

Ganado, Motomom34, Aeason and 3 others like this.
  5. duane

duane Monkey+++

Thank you, it so much more enjoyable to see a slice of reality and people working together to improve their lives, than all the destructive things on the mass media.

Ganado, sarawolf, Aeason and 2 others like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Nice and very organized. Thank you for sharing.

PS- love your wagon. someday I will have one like that. I never thought to cart chickens in it.

Tully Mars and sarawolf like this.
  7. Cruisin Sloth

Dog Crates @ garage sales is what we use X 10

Motomom34, Tully Mars and sarawolf like this.
  8. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

We raise 25 or so CornishX a year for our consumption. Raise them in a couple of 5x10' mobile pens that get moved daily on fresh grass.
    [​IMG]

On processing day, I move them in a dog crate mounted on a pallet with the tractor forks. I screw a homemade killing cone (made of aluminum coil stock), put the bird in it, and slit their jugular so they bleed out good.

[​IMG]

Then scald
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And into the homemade Whiz Bang plucker.....takes less than a minute to de-feather almost completely, versus me hand plucking for 20 minutes and still not doing so great.

[​IMG]

Now from cage to freezer ready is about 20 minutes total.
    [​IMG]

9. Cruisin Sloth

We do it very similar , Nice cone
    Sloth

Ganado likes this.
  10. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

Love the whiz bang plunker :)

11. TnAndy

Yeah, we only do 25 or so birds/yr, but I decided it was worth building one even for that amount....turns a 2 day job into a 1 day job......and get better results.

Seawolf1090 and Tully Mars like this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Did you buy this book Anyone Can Build AWhizbang Chicken Plucker for directions on how to build yours?

sarawolf likes this.
  13. TnAndy

Yes, and bought some of the parts from him as well. I already had a motor laying around, and of course the barrel/wood parts, but I bought the round aluminum plate with pre-drilled holes, axle, bearings, etc from him. I also modified his plan so the bottom of my barrel remains (he cuts the whole bottom out in his plan), and made a chute for the feathers to exit.....seems cutting the bottom out would fling water/feathers everywhere underneath as it hits the big reducer gear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also drilled a set of holes under his base plate with the fingers pointing down, and mounted the plate enough above the bottom of the barrel so those fingers 'sweep' the wet feathers around and they fall into the exit chute.

Bottom plate, normal view with fingers pointing up....x marks spots for new 3/4" holes.

[​IMG]

Unibit to drill holes

[​IMG]

Mounting row of downward fingers:

[​IMG]

sarawolf, Tully Mars and BTPost like this.
  14. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

I'll have to show this to hubby tomorrow :)

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    These quail egg clippers are a game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    Media

First_eggs

I was so thrilled to find that first set of eggs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Media

Free_range

It was a dream come true to have a free-range flock!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 2 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
  9. TnAndy
  10. Motomom34
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Yard Dart
  13. TnAndy
  14. Benjamin A. Wood
  15. Benjamin A. Wood
  16. TnAndy
  17. Asia-Off-Grid
  18. Asia-Off-Grid