Buttermilk

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Kamp Krap, Jun 23, 2023.

1. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

I love the stuff and it is great for the body as well. I always made my own when I kept a milk cow. Now days I just buy Prairie Farms Whole Buttermilk, not as good as the rancid stuff I made but better nutritionally than mine was... LOL I tended to ferment mine a bit ;)

So a new friend stopped by today when I was getting ready to eat lunch. So I offered her a pork steak and some grilled squash and glass of ice cold buttermilk. "OMG That shit is nasty and unhealthy!" She says. Referring to the Buttermilk. Now I realize that while I find the taste of buttermilk to be very pleasant mos folks probably do not. But Unhealthy??? Not true at all. After the Ulcer Problem and my body learning how to eat and digest food again, buttermilk was one of the few things I could consume and not feel sick for hours after. I credit it, oatmeal and cream of wheat for getting me back to good health after being near death with that ulcer and scar tissue problem. Doc might have been the one that found the problem and opened things back up, But I fully believe it was the buttermilk that healed everything back up. LOL now days I drink at least a quart every day and often a half gallon per day. LOL sometimes a whole half gallon with just lunch. Before the ulcer and scar tissue I drank a pint here and there and used most of what I made in biscuits and pancakes and was fond of adding it into my sourdough breads.

Buttermilk: Are There Health Benefits?

Zimmy, Hanzo, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Now that you mention that ,, I remember grandma feeding us buttermilk when we were ailing as kids ,, mostly gut problems. I haven't had any in quite a while ,, sure did love them buttermilk biscuits tho.

Alanaana and Kamp Krap like this.
  3. Out in the woods

Out in the woods off-grid in-the-forest beekeeper

It is a living probiotic.

My grandfather swore by buttermilk to settle the stomach and set things right.

It is rarely in stores around here. When I can find some, I mix it with a gallon of whole milk and leave it to sit at room temp for a few days [mixing daily] inside of a week the entire gallon of whole milk is converted into buttermilk.

Dunerunner, Alanaana, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  4. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Only a few stores around here carry it and amazingly Walmart is one of them.

SB21 likes this.
  5. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

My father loved it, when he was young all his family had to do is go down to the local dairy with a jug or jar and they would fill them free, the rest was dumped.

Kamp Krap, Alanaana and SB21 like this.
  6. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

This made me want to pick up some buttermilk immediately. I'm also trying to find Raw Cow's milk. I'm still doing the low carb nutrition so I'll have to make sure that I balance everything out.

Kamp Krap likes this.
  7. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I love buttermilk, especially with a big ole piece of cornbread crumbled up in it, and by cornbread I don't mean corncake that has more sugar than cornmeal in it! It is good with turnip greens, beans, peas, hot mustard, etc.! It is the prefect drink with almost any country meal, be it breakfast, dinner or supper! The hardest thing for me to get used to wasn't the taste, but the sight of the buttermilk sliding down the inside of the glass:sick:...I recommend using a Dixie or Solo cup rather than a jelly glass.:LOL:

CraftyMofo and SB21 like this.
  8. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Don't get caught in a USDA swat team raid while buying raw milk!:eek:o_O:LOL:

Alanaana and SB21 like this.
  9. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

I didn't even know this was a possibility :eek::LOL:. I was just reading about how people say raw milk is so good for gut health. What's the objection? I'm glad we had this conversation.

SB21 likes this.
  10. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Our raw milk source folded but we heard of another nearby. We'll check that out soon. It is the only milk I will drink. I was raised on it.

Raw milk doesn't aggravate lactose intolerance, generate mucus after drinking, or go bad as fast in the fridge. Buttermilk from Swiss Brown cows milk is amazing.

Alanaana likes this.
  11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Just another example of our government trying to protect us from ourselves! They aren't happy unless they are enforcing one or more of their endless rules and regulations!

12. Jaybird

Jaybird Monkey+++

Around here I know of two ways to purchase raw milk. 1. Purchase it for your pet. The milk is labeled "Pet Use Only." Once you get the milk home, whose to say what pet you are giving it to. 2. Since you are allowed to drink raw milk from your own animals, some farms charge a one time fee between $10 and $20 for a share in the herd. Then you buy the milk and it is coming from your animals.

13. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Around here, Mennonite farms are good source

14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

There is a few shops her that sell frozen yogurt in al kinds of flavors one of which is tart which tastes like butter milk.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7