Buy a Beater AR for $350.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by HK_User, Nov 6, 2018.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Get a Anderson Lower for 29.95 and this.

[​IMG]

madmax, Hanzo, Idahoser and 8 others like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Nows a great time, Like 50% off from 2 years ago!

Brokor, oldawg, HK_User and 1 other person like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You know I always give into temptation.

Then I will need another Leopold...

4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I have a good friend who built that kit (in black) on an Anderson lower. He has zero regrets.

HK_User, oldawg and sec_monkey like this.
  5. HK_User

Deals change every day.

6. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

There is a glut of cheap AR's out there now. That's both good and bad, good in that they are affordable to just about everybody with plenty of money left over for a pile of ammo to practice/train with, bad in that you will take a deep loss if you try to sell it.

If you don't have an AR, then by all means buy a kit gun on the cheap and shoot the crap out of it. I've yet to see anyone burn out a barrel or wear out parts with regular maintance.

Alf60, HK_User, Idahoser and 2 others like this.
  7. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

there may be a glut of cheap ARs right now, but I don't see that lasting six months.

8. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Buy now before the anti gunners take over the house next year.

9. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I agree on buying while you can and prices are still ok. Ammo also. Times are a changing. Apparently about half the country has had their ball cut off and received a lobotomy. Makes me sick.

HK_User, 3M-TA3, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

just buy the parts... i mean you can never have too many parts...;)

hot diggity, oldawg, Dont and 4 others like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I got one like from there and it was $260. With the parts kit and all.
    To put it in/on a ruger lower.
    But I never put one together that wasn't select fire.
    I think next time I send off NFA paperwork I will just go on ahead and register it as an SBR.

Mine is out for delivery today.
    My wife asked what was getting delivered...
    She didn't believe how much I spent on it since I have bitched about the price of AR15s for a decade.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2019
    HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I got mine all together with a bare ruger lower.
    Everything went together great.
    Have not shot it yet.

13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm going to have the say the PSA upper is definitely a beater AR upper.
    With a cold or barely warm barrel it could probably do about 4 moa. But when it gets hot you are looking at more of a bullet sprayer. Groups open up to more like 12 to 16 moa.
    So much for the myth that AR15 are always so accurate.
    This is kind of what I expected even with AR15 fan boys telling me it will be super accurate.
    I'm pretty sure my warn out 40 year old mini 14 shoots better.

14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

That's awful not acceptable for an AR or any kind of rifle. If you have the tools I'd consider removing the barrel, clean everything up, lube the threads with AeroShell then reassemble with proper torgue. It also may just be a crappy barrel. In that case I'd either swap it or sell the entire upper.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. HK_User

I'd send it back.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

A suspiciously identical looking upper is available from armalite with out a parts kit for $600.
    So $260 with a lower parts kit, I can't complain too much.
    The lower is made by ruger, so it's not one of the plastic junk home made jobs.
    The optic is my new from 2010 leupold cqt mk4.
    I just need to get a slower rate of fire, time to cool and get some cold to mildly warm shots on paper.
    Try something else besides M193 style rounds, some 62 and 70gr stuff.
    Since I'm traditionally a mini14 guy I only have 55gr and smaller 223 ammo laying around.
    Literally every shot to shit M16A2 I ever qualified with shot better with the A2 peep site. I did shoot once with a almost new colt M4 that was the straightest shooting one ever. It would have likely did less than 2 moa, even after being all warmed up with a real scope on it.

Worst case scenario I lose the barrel and turn that upper into something else.
    I already cut the A frame off so they probably won't take it back anyway.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and HK_User like this.
  17. HK_User

I doubt they would worry about the front sight removal. Send it back and let them take a look at it.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The government calls it accuracy through volume.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The AR guru has spoken. A guy that started working on them in the army, then for his local police department. He has been working on them probably longer than I have been alive. If they ban ARs this guy will probably starve to death because he is old now and that's all he can still do.

The AR guru, a friend of a friend says that it may be a gas port bur those can be shot out eventually (maybe), the head spacing could be messed up or the barrel could be crap. He says the only time he sees ones this messed up is when people who don't know what they are doing try to assemble their own upper, usually without head space gauges and it doesn't blow up.

Going into this I accepted that these things could be made from piles of reject parts and that it's accuracy may be measured in minutes of crown vic.

The good thing about it, it was 100% reliable. Nothing happened besides ejecting the spent brass, and feeding in another round till the mag ran dry.
    Not even the much more accurate .gov M16A2 and M4 rifles I shot could say that.
    So accuracy it sucks, for reliability its up there with AK47s and duct tape.

STGThndr, 3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7