Buy a Beater AR for $350.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by HK_User, Nov 6, 2018.

1. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

LOL...I like that!

But seriouly, that upper assembly needs tlc big time. I've only seen one shoot that poorly, and that was in boot camp. Noone could get it on paper at 100 meters.

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm pretty confident I could get it on paper at 100 yards at least until it warmed up.
    Then I would need one of those full size pistol targets, then move it closer as it gets kind of hot.

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  3. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

I had a PSA kit that had problems. Turned out the BCG was out of spec and bind causing bullet spraying. Sometimes those really cheap PSA parts are from unknown to us sources, with possibly no quality control.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

5. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Running two PSA BCGs and both looked good with good staking. Both run flawless. One did originally have a problem going into full battery but was found to be a slightly out of true gas tube. Changed it out and problem solved.

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

PSA does sell different grades, including much of what they supply to FN for their part of the M4 contract to .mil . Regardless even their cheap stuff should work, even if not up to the demands of military usage.

oldawg, HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I have observed maybe even seen "shooters" take a brand new AR15, load up a mag of 30 and let it rip. After 200 rounds the AR was put back into the plastic box it came in. Things got hot maybe too hot and the rifle never shot right for the shooters.

OTOH I watched as a friend unboxed a CMP M1, he carefully inspected each part and over a period of 4 hours he cleaned the preservative from each part and reassembled each sub assembly. Fully reassembled he placed it back in the shipping box.

A couple of days later the M1 was cleaned, oiled and greased per Mil Spec. A test clip was fired and all was well with the world.
    Later he did the same with a new AR15.

He never had a problem with the AR15 or the M1.

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I took my psa cheapie did a basic bore brush and swab and put 30 rounds through it over about 20 minutes.
    I didn't try to melt the barrel.

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I ended up selling that messed carbine length psa barrel for nearly $100 on gun broker. I put it on gun broker starting bid was $20. I put on the description that's all it was worth imo and they wouldn't be able to get it to shoot under 6 inch at 100 yards. Replaced it with a mid length $160 Delton barrel. The 1:9 twist Delton barrel on the psa upper makes 1 hole at 25 yards reliability, no problem until it gets kind of hot.
    So yeah head spacing matters.

HK_User likes this.
  10. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

I bought a complete Delton for $339 I have ran 100 rounds through it with an older scope and mounts that need to be higher. I easily got 1-1/2 groups at 50 . With decent optics it should do that at 100 yards I haven't shot it since . I am not a big AR fan but at that price I figured I couldn't go wrong

11. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

FWIW, I have the PSA 16 inch 5.56 upper on a PSA lower and it shoots as expected. Even after a few boxes of ammo it is still under 2 or 3 MOA (some of that is likely me, I don't bench shoot the AR)

I always say people should contact the seller/manufacturer when they are unhappy with a product. I have had some companies go way above and beyond what I expected when I was unhappy with a product.

-JediWoodsman

12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Bolt carrier group vid, probably the best one I have seen.
    Still I see no problem with 1058.
    The "weakest" carpenter 158 bolt typically is still 100% fine even after the barrel will only shoot keyholes.
    When you buy a new barrel, buy a new bolt, imo.

HK_User likes this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

With all the sig fan boys and army larpers trying to get a sig speer it looks like AR prices are going down.
    They are selling off and stopped buying AR shit to get to try and get some mcx related anything.
    Right now 277 fury is about $4 a shot. If I'm spending $4 a shot it better be 338 lupula. Not hot loaded 7mm-08.
    Eventually they might come to their senses and go back to ar15.

Gator 45/70, HK_User and 3M-TA3 like this.
  14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Great observation! One of the first legitimate MCX reviews I watched included a recoil spring failure. It was reminiscent of a cassette tape failure and required manufacturer repair. That's always bothered me. There is nothing on an AR-15 I can't repair with my parts kit and tools on hand.

15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If I was going to run 227fury, 6.8x51mm or super hot 7mm-08 I would run it in an AR10 with direct gas impingement on a rifle lenth barrel, possibly use a magnum length gas system. Just as Saint Stoner intended.
    The difference between a rifle length gas system and magnum length gas system is rifle length gas tube is about 15 inches long and a magnum gas tube is about 17 inches long.

Gator 45/70 and BTPost like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7