Buy another gun, or pay down debt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kckndrgn, Dec 4, 2006.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[touchdown]
    Yes, I know, it's really kind of a stupid question, but here it tis. Recently I have purchased a Springfield XD-9 for my wifes daily carry and a Mossberg 590A1 for home defense. Other firearms that I have include my Glock 27 and my Winchester 30-30.

Since I work part-time at a local gun range and I can get pretty good deals on new firearms purchases, I've really been longing for one of those "evil" "assault rifles", a nice AR-15.

But here is my delema. The wife and I are currently working on paying off our consumer debt. The first one will be paid off in Jan, with 3 more getting paid off by Nov of next year. (there are 2 more debts after that :( ).

Now with bonuses coming up at work plus money from the PT job, should I splurg (again) and buy me my AR, or wait another couple of months until one or two of the debts are paid off?

I'm really torn on this as the rifle is not really a "need", more of a want. And I am really tired of drooling over all the AR's that come in on Sat nights to shoot at the range, I wanna have some fun too!

OK, so I'm asking a bunch of complete (well almost complete) strangers - pay off debt or buy new toy,er 'evil looking, home defense and hunting tool'

Ryan

2. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

More than slightly paranoid rant:
    If you follow any of Mike Rupperts' lectures (www.fromthewilderness.com or check google video) Mike says debt and new bakruptcy laws enacted to favor big money... will be the shackles of the future transferring alot of your freedom to the corporations deciding what you'll pay, who you'll pay ,where you'll work , how much you'll make...( You may be fine with payments now, but if the "peakoil fairy" puts whammy on the economy and consumer credit rates go above 20%???people could find themselves unemployed in an inflation riddled/ depressed economy "STUCK").

I don't't ascribe to all the paranoia.But, personnally I'm trying to get completely out of anybodies debt and not using credit for anything.Even though Iam admittedly short of prepared.

I'll live with my 30-30: Like Sgt maj plumley says in We were soldiers" preparing to fly out tothe Lz:
    the col.asks "aren't you gonnna arm yourself with an m16 sgt major?" Plumley replies " No,sir, time comes I need one there'll be plenty laying around."

I'd like a socoom16 7.62 or m4style 5.56, hell Id feel pretty good about a mini14 now. but we need a kerosene heater , fuel and more food, because the likely hood of a winter icestorm power outtage is greater than my needing more than 4 or 5 rounds of 30-30 and 12ga OO...
    Priorities and realities.IMHO credit is too dangerous in a world were big money gets what it wants..
    Al
    ex jones is even farther out on the paranoid limb.I won't evenstart on his wilda** predictions...

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Always use your resources to pay down debt before any discretionary purchases. Otherwise, the dollars you are using for the "good deal" are actually costing you 110%, 120%, 130%, etc. depending on the level of your debt.

4. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

kckndrgn...... come on now..... you don't want our advice, you know what the right thing to do is, you just want someone to validate your prelimenary decision to do the wrong thing - buy the AR.

So I'm there for ya man! Do it!

I know that paying the debt is the responsible thing to do, but sometimes you just gotta say screw it, I'm gonna play around some.

I'll probably draw fire for this, but that's ok, I know I'm backing the wrong side of the argument. The corporate millionaires will be okay without your money for a little longer, that AR is gonna be a lot of fun, mine is (although I am planning on upgrading to an M1A for more firepower and range).

Keep in mind I'll probably be in debt for the rest of my life, but I'm having a ball while I'm here. Hell, I might not be around that much longer anyway, my father and grandfather checked out pretty early.

What I'm sayin is live well. You don't know how many tomorrows there will be. And for that matter, an AR might be hard to come by in the near future if the dems get their way.

5. Infidel

Infidel Guest

it is spelled dilemma

Pay off debt first. you do not need another toy. shoot what you got and get better at that. get toys as a reward to you being debt free. which is a reward all in itself. otherwise it is just comsumerwhorism

6. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Infidel, I think someone with so many punctuation and capitalization errors in their post would hold back correcting others people's spelling. That can be considered very abrasive.

7. Infidel

Infidel Guest

Ahh, spelling errors hurt my eyes, can not see grammatical errors that well.

8. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

Don't ask me, I just ordered my Rock River AR. Guns have a tendecy to appreciate. Find the best deal you can and buy it. It can always be sold to get out of it what you bought it for.

9. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Now keep in mind that I don't have much of a financial life and no outstanding debts, so here's my two....

I'd pay off the debt first. The interest alone will only keep you in debt that much longer. The faster you pay it off, the faster you can get money together to buy things that are wanted. Right now you are having a difficult decision, pay off debt or buy an AR. When the debt is gone, you will still have a difficult decision, ammo or mags.

10. ridgerunner58

ridgerunner58 Monkey+++

I agree with Blackjack.If TSHTF the day after you made the loan payment,
    you'll wish you had listened to your inner voice(and Blackjack's).

Three men were discussing when would be the best time to cut a hickory sapling for a wolking stick:

The first man said "In the Spring when the wood is supple."
    The 2nd replied "In the Fall,the wood will be stronger."
    The 3rd man replied,"Cut it when you see it...it might not be there the next time you pass by."

11. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm an accountant so can you correctly assume that I'm fairly conservative and my opinions are formed from that conservative perspective. Consumer debt is at an all time high because we have allowed our wants to gain more importance than our needs. We all make value judgements when it comes to our wants. If, in your mind, the new gun purchase is worth its cost plus the expense of the interest on your existing consumer debt, you'll buy it. On the other hand, when your consumer debt is resolved and you are debt free, you will experience a wonderful sense of freedom. Its then that you can satisfy your needs AND some of your wants without feeling any remorse. Just my $.02

12. kckndrgn

Ah yes, somehow I knew cooler heads would prevail. I think I may hold off on the purchase (though I will not stop looking) until 1 of 2 things happen.
    1) The Dems decide to push through some sort of new ban, then I'm in
    2) After about 10 months, 2/3 of our debt will be gone (if not sooner than that thanks to the PT job), then it will be time for a new gun since I can pay for it, in cash, by saving one month for it.

Thanks y'all!

Ryan

13. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Dangit! The good guys win again :mad:

14. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Maybe you should have used more subliminal messaging there Blackjack. Mwahahahahaha [reddevil] [LMAO]

15. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

ar15,mdl29, remington700adl.270,ruger 2.75" stainless security six.357,ruger redhawk.44, ruger superblackhawk.44, smith model 13, smith k frame .22mag ( mdl?), ppks, satin finish commander,10/22, ruger t512,ruger single6convertible .22/.22mag.mossberg 8 round 500,wish i still had each one ( to be fair usually traded in one to get the next). Currently down to win 94, s&w aircrew 4".38, 87012ga, old marlin bolt .22

Ask somewho has turned about $2500 in firearms into a small sporting battery and $25.00 cash...Something's worth what somebody else will give you for it, if its a dealer you'll get less than half because he wants to resell it...If you've got it its not worth crap, if he's got it in his display case it'sa rare opiece of gold...I never sold agun, handgun especially, to a private party...because I never trusted what they would do with it. It was originally purchased under my name( fed paperwork) . Didn't want it to turn up in atlanta at a murder scene... I used to look at what I actually had a use for and what I could pick up and carry( backpack "b-o" days),

Guess I was an idiot [smsh]never had a bunch of cash for toys; had a bad gun magazine habit, Magazine articles,advertising and tests are written to make a toy particularly desireable." Gotta get one of these."..

Well you can certainly see a broad range of advice and experiences here on the 'monkey. Dare I say a "live in the now, today", versus a little more conservative wants/needs analysis??? S'ok, its' just obvious, bet you could plot a fairly accutrate curve of response v age? I admit I think like an old(er) fart...

16. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Subliminal, Ok, let me try it this way:

kckndrgn, you should definately do the responsible thing buy the AR and pay down your debt lots of fun first. It's important that you take care of your responsibilities it'll get you chicks and get on solid financial footing before spending hurry before it's too late any more money on frivolous things like the price will go up a new firearm. You can always buy it now make these purchases later and guilt free what if the Chinese attack after you've paid off those credit you neeed the AR15 cards.

17. kckndrgn

Blackjack,
    How about a compramise? I'll buy the AR and you pay all my bills? [touchdown]

NO? OK, how about a few of the Bills get paid off, like I said in 10 months (possibly quicker) I'll have 4 out of 6 debts paid off. Then I can buy the AR, for cash, and continue to pay down my last 2 debts.

I may get one sooner, but I don't want to push my luck with the wife. The sooner we get our debts gone, the sooner she can be a stay at home mom, something she REALLY wants to be.

Ryan

18. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[banghead] , if you have to ask yourself the question, you already know the answer.

Pay off the debt, toys will come later.

19. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Pay your bills, heck, I can't pay my own..... I've got too many guns :)

but then that was the point, eh.

20. RightHand

Think of it this way - every time you pay interest on consumer debt, you are taking dollar bills and running them through your paper shredder. That's a sobering thought!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7