Buying gold, silver when to start?

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by oil pan 4, Mar 1, 2018.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Comparisons are being made to the economy now being like the late 1990s and early 2000s.
    With soaring stock market exploding gdp.
    What was the gold price in the late 1990s and early 2000s, oh about $200 to $400 an ounce. Who knew not even a decade later they were saying "$1,500 gold is here to stay".

I say let's see where this goes before sinking money into gold.
    I almost bought some maple leafs yesterday. But settled on silver instead.
    As of now only about 1/4 to 1/3 of my silver I paid less than $15 an ounce for.
    I don't even care that silver is down, I went into silver intending on up to a 30 year hold.

If the toilet flushes on the gold and silver market I'm going to be buying like I should have been in 1999.

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Now is a pretty good time to start.
    Silver spot is below $14 an ounce for the first time in a long time.
    Probably about a 9 year low.

Wild Trapper likes this.
  3. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

[​IMG]

4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The gold to silver ratio is at like a 20 to 25 year high.
    That means either silver is under valued or gold is over valued.
    Silver being near a 9 year low probably isn't over valued (is at a 9 year low when adjusted for inflation), gold is only at about a 2.5 year low.
    My money is on silver. Meaning I don't think silver has much further to drop before turning around. I think gold will drop more before it turns around.

Other indicators, the last time the economy boomed like this gold fell off a cliff, crashed, burned and smoldered for a while.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  5. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

upload_2018-9-11_21-3-50.

mysterymet likes this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

There are accusations being thrown around about gold market manipulation going back about 7 years in the news today causing the price to pull back.

This is great news for me. I'm very bearish on gold, grrrr.
    Which is weird because at least 90% of people into gold are bullish and want crazy prices.

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I hate to say it but roughly $1,200 an ounce gold might be as low as it goes.

Even if we had cheap diesel prices I don't think it would help much like we did in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well the gold to silver ratio is at an all time high.
    So gold has to come down or silver has to come up.
    Bad timing to buy gold, not a bad time to get silver.

mysterymet likes this.
  9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

The time to buy gold and silver is NOW, because like everything else it might not be available when you need it. We're preppers!

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If you want buy $1,700 an ounce gold for the highest over spot premiums I have ever seen, go right ahead.
    It's likely going to be 4 to 7 years before you can get out of it what it took to buy it.
    I may sell the last bit of gold I have and buy silver and platinum with it.

If you are going to buy silver poured 10 and 100 ounce are the way to go.
    1s, 5s, 0.5kg, 1kg and other sizes pressed or poured are demanding high over spot fees.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I don't look upon gold and silver as investments, instead I look upon them as hedges against an uncertain future. That future may be decades away and I might not be around for it, but I hope that younger members of my family may benefit from my foresight. Many of the preps that I have, or plan to have, will last for generations....I hope! I'm hoping that my nephews will pick-up where I leave off, in about 30 years or so.

13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Be careful what you get, a friend bought some silver and it was not silver it was a mix of something else.
    I melted down or rather tried to melt it down and it was like pot metal.
    I make rods for making colloidal silver. A good test to see if you've been duped or not.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Archimedes figured it out approximately 2,200 years ago, so you might say we have the technology.

Checks break down into to 2 groups.
    Destructive and non destructive.
    Some are a little of both, a small scratch is destructive, but isn't going to effect value as much putting a torch on a minted bar or coin until it melts.

Silver has a density of about 10.5 grams per cubic cm. It's melting point is about 1760 degrees F.

How do I know it's not x, y or z.
    The number 1 way silver is faked is its pure silver poured with a steel packer and steel is magnetic.
    Putting a steel packer in a sliver bar is quick, cheap, easy, low tech and requires no specialized equipment or chemicals.
    A magnet or density check will reveal the fraud. Usually on larger poured 50 ounce and bigger bars.
    Copper is close to the same density, but also close to the same melting point. Other metals have a lower melting point, so you are unlikely to get a silver bar with a copper packer. I have never heard of it happening.
    The number 2 way silver is faked on smaller bars is garbage "made in china silver" is actually 1 troy ounce of copper or brass that's been silver plated.
    It fails the density and scratch test.

How do I know if someone didn't melt grandma's Stirling silver set into bars?
    Stirling is harder and more durable than pure.
    It looks different too, Stirling is 10% copper, you put 999 fine silver next to Stirling and the difference is very obvious.
    Also that person is a moron because grandma's silver set was likely worth substantially more in the form of a set even if incomplete then as a block.
    Early junk silver has the same appearance.
    Late 90% junk silver is made from silver, copper and nickle. Because late 90% junk silver is alloyed with nickle its really hard to compared to pure, but they look simular.
    Late junk silver differs from early because has a whiter appearance, but not like pure, it's substantially harder and the really high nickle found in very late, 1965 and up coins would fail a density check by a lot.
    Early junk silver looks more like Stirling.
    If in doubt try to scratch a piece of Stirling with pure and vice-versa.

How do you know it's not plated shit, density check, if some how it's right at 10.5 and you are still in doubt just gouge the surface. Likely to find a very soft lead-tin alloy even compared to pure silver and with a very low melting point.
    This is a pretty elaborate hoax, the fraudster would have to be able to do math, work out the correct lead to tin ratio to achieve 10.5, work with welding equipment, have chemical and electrical knowledge. It really would be a waste of tallent.

The time and energy it would take to pass junk silver as pure would nearly match the cost of producing the hoax. You would have to round up a bunch of junk silver which is typically sold around 90% of spot, but with no over spot premium so it is cheap compared to pure silver, melt it down, pour it into legitimate looking bars as not to draw further scrutiny, then plate it with pure silver with a plating durable enough to perpetrate the hoax for an extended time.
    You're better off melting down junk silver, marking it as such and charging a small premium. You could ask 90% of spot then charge $3 or $4 over spot, make some money and not end up in the bottom of a river with rocks in your pocket.
    Or sell your junk silver and buy real pure silver.

So your tests are non destructive.
    Look at how shinny it is.
    Magnet.
    Weigh it, if it says one or 5 or 10 ounces but isn't then something is fishy.
    Density check.
    Hell just dropping it on a hard surface and listening to the sound it makes.

Destructive.
    Scratch test. With a knife to reveal copper or some lesser metal or against a known pure bar to check hardness.
    Melt it.
    Hammer it out, look for hidden surprises.

If it density checks at 10.5, melts at mid 1700F and is really shinny it's going to be real.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

[​IMG]

I use one of these and a scale that reads in 5 decm's
    Just closed my latest 's buy of AU in Bar and Leaf ..Last night
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

Exactly how I view things, except my 7 kids instead of nephews.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Ultrasound is good it will detect chunky non homogeneous stuff inside your gold.

Asshats like to drill out gold and replace it with tungsten rods. As tungsten is about 99% the density of gold and you're not going to catch it by density check.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Gold sales to central banks, investors and jewelry are way down this year but the price is way up so it's likely when people feel safe again the price could drop up to $500 an ounce.
    At least then the gold to silver ratio makes sense again. Either that or silver has to come up a lot, for no apparent reason.
    Like a werewolf uprising?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I was poking around on the net and the price of silver is up about a $. But the sale price has hardly changed.
    10 and 100 ounce poured bars delivered are about the same price they were at when silver was close to 15 an ounce about a week ago.
    I'm going to try to grab some more tens.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oh you can watch fake versus real silver how to tests for hours on youtube.
    Get some scales and watch a few.
    I watched some at work to kill time during the holiday.
    The most popular fake shit coming out of China appears to be silver plated steel.
    Pretty easy to catch, if you get fooled by it you ain't fit to prosper from commerse.
    Or if its made out of brass/copper the weight is consistently wrong.
    On one ounce and bigger the weight is right but the size or density is way off.
    On fractional bars the weight is consistently wrong.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. VisuTrac
  2. ED GEiN
  3. Ganado
  4. Motomom34
  5. oil pan 4
  6. T. Riley
  7. oil pan 4
  8. Bandit99
  9. oil pan 4
  10. thegoldlock.com
  11. Game Ends