Buying gold, silver when to start?

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by oil pan 4, Mar 1, 2018.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Platinum, rhodium, palladium, black rifles, seeds, put in a well, any under valued asset.
    Right now the big sellers are doing hundred or multi hundred dollar minimum order so I'm targeting the little guys.
    Sell some silver for at least double what I bought it for, wait a few months buy back nearly twice as much silver when it goes back down.
    Just think sloth, if you sold 10% of your silver in the 1980s when it went stupid high of nearly $50 an ounce then bough back in when it was back down around $5 an ounce. You could have nearly doubled your silver hord because of a weird market glitch.
    If you could have found some one to buy it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I pity the fool that exchanges his silver (and gold) for fiat paper money!

TnAndy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It's only temporary.
    Leaving it in a pile to collect dust isn't a great idea either. If I could move it around and have it pay for it's self to increase in size, why not?
    I can't sell all my silver for the price I want there's too much to move and not enough time.
    Let's say I do my 50 free auctions and list 100 ounces total. That barely puts a dent in my silver pile.
    100 ounces for sloth probably isn't even a scale rounding error.
    Let's say I averaged $15 an ounce, I bough a lot while I could get it in my hand for about $12 an ounce.
    I sell that 100 ounces and clear $2,500 worst case scenario, the auctions with 6 left days are already at that.
    Buy back in at $17 an ounce worst case scenario. 100 ounces becomes 150 ounces.
    Or keep everything I have and add another 50 ounces for $900. Which for me after taxes, more taxes, even more taxes, medical insurances, retirement contributions, HSA, is most of a paycheck.
    Then several years later I sell that 150 ounces of silver for $4,500, buy back in at say $22 then it goes up to over 200 ounces. A portion of the silver hord grows by 30 to 50% every few years is nice.
    The goal is to get as much silver as possible.

Plus that begs the question what is the value of silver?
    An ounce of silver you bought for $6 in the 1980s is now worth $24. Well the buying power of a dollar is 1/3 what it was in the 1980s, so adjusted for inflation that ounce of silver was more like $18 in the 1980s.
    If in the 1970s an ounce of silver will buy several gallons of gasoline 100 ounces will buy a rifle, then in 1990 an ounce of silver will only buy you several gallons of gasoline and 100 ounces will buy a rifle, in 2019 an ounce will buy several gallons of gasoline and 100 ounces will buy a rifle, what have you gained form buying silver and using it as a dust collection surface for 40 some years?
    Your silver hord needs to self multiply to gain significant real value.
    In 1980 if you would have bought and sold your silver several times over the years and not even did that great that one ounce could be tuned into 3 or 4 ounces pretty easy.
    So that $18 you spent in the 1980s is now 4 ounces of silver worth around $100 today.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Ah it may be over already silver is down a $ today.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Platinum, rhodium, palladium all industrial metals, so you have to believe industry is coming for them. Looking less and less likely, but a possible play if you like to play.

Have plenty of rifles, seeds, a well, and about anything else I need.....so I'll be saving my real money for a rainy day for something I did not anticipate. Am able to fund current projects like my solar expansion out of retirement income, or saved fiat....no need to convert metals.

6. TnAndy

Yes, I'd say you're right. 5 dollar silver is just around the corner. :rolleyes:

VisuTrac and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That would be great for me and any one else who still has at least 30 years before retirement.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. TnAndy

Then silver (and gold) is doing exactly what it is supposed to do from a monetary standpoint......acting as a store of value. One of the main properties of money, and why fiat currency is NOT money.
    There are two ways of looking at silver and gold.....one is a "money" (fiat) making opportunity or investment, and the other is it is simply savings. We are clearly on opposite sides of that coin.

Back when one could get a fair safe and decent interest rate on fiat, metals did not shine as well. Warren Buffet is noted for saying "Gold pays no interest".....which is true. But today, and I think going forward for the rest of the time the current fiat system remains, fiat will not only pay no interest, but is actually negative when you factor in purchasing power and taxes on the pitiful gains you can get.

Buy a ten year note.....0.55% this morning. WHO would invest in a 10 year note at 1/2% when inflation is clearly running 10 times that ?? You'd be buying a guaranteed loss.....even before figuring tax on that 1/2% gain. I don't think it will ever hit 1% again in our life time, because it would break the federal govt on the 25 trillion buck debt. The FED will buy (print/monetize) whatever amount is needed to buy the federal debt to keep it from ever getting a true market rate. Gold and silver manipulation is peanuts compared to what is going on in the bond markets.

So what that means is there are NO safe, conservative investments for your fiat. We have a jumbo CD at our credit union we renewed 4 years ago at 2.8%.....which is lousy enough....but when it comes due next year, based on today's rates...about 1 to 1.2% is what it's going to renew for. It makes my wife happy to have that cushion, but as I've pointed out time/again, we're going in the hole on it at 2.8. Should have bought more gold.....she finally did see the light this year, and we added 20 oz in Feb @ $1630 (all in) and 11 oz in June @ $1814 (all in) to add to our pile.

And the EFFECT of artificially low rates on bonds has this effect on people (like me).....we're going somewhere to preserve the purchasing power of our capitol. And for a lot of folks, that is precious metals....which will be the driving force going forward in the price (of fiat) rise that is currently underway.

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I would be pissed if I sat on thousands and thousands of dollars of investment for 30+ years and it only made 20-25% over that entire time.
    That's only like a 4% return.

I hope it's a long time before I decide over $1,600 is a reasonable buy price.

I'm just making silver pay me some interest.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Just hope that you aren't left holding the bag while waiting for PM prices to go down.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have been doing this for a while and that's never happened.
    Silver is seeing resistance at breaking $24 and just a few months ago we saw it had strong support at $14. With dumb luck and no skill any ape should be able to buy back in at $17 to $18 delivered for bars and under $20 for coins. I only buy coins when my dealer has a hair across his ass to move some coin. That's the only reason I have any. Coins come with higher spot fees but are easier to resell I'm finding.
    But strangely enough shot is demanding somewhere between bar and closer to coin spot fees. Never thought that would happen.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. TnAndy

That would put you <40, which explains much of where you are coming from. When you get to retirement age (I'm 70), your outlook on matters financial is liable to change a whole lot.

mysterymet and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well I put all my 1/2 ounce bars for sale. Assuming the bids are maxed out now, with 3 to 4 days left on them each half ounce bar will replace its self with at least 1 and a half ounces, or 2 ounces if I cover the spot fees.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I got a wave of bids and went to check prices and it's back up over $24.
    I guess that's the public trigger point.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Cruisin Sloth

What are e-bayers bidding on your 1/2 oz ?
    .999 im assuming or is it 999.9
    @oil pan 4

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Most of them are around $25. I know I didn't even give $20 for 2 of them.
    No one's touching my 10 ounce bars.
    If I can make dealer money on my fractionals, coins, 1 and 5 ounce bars then turn that into way more ounces in the form of 10s and kilos I'm good with that.

Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Cruisin Sloth

I'm set to ride the distance ,, been working on the setup for years , 60's till now ..
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well people are fighting over spending stupid amounts of money on silver.

It's definitely a sellers market.
    Sell the little stuff like 1oz coins that have a bigger profit margin now then when the price goes up and people really start to panic sell 10s and kilos.
    Buy back in with poured 10 ounce and kilos.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Cruisin Sloth

These guys are just saying all the crap !!
    I can't see a V coming !

Sloth

1. VisuTrac
  2. ED GEiN
  3. Ganado
  4. Motomom34
  5. oil pan 4
  6. T. Riley
  7. oil pan 4
  8. Bandit99
  9. oil pan 4
  10. thegoldlock.com