Buying gold, silver when to start?

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by oil pan 4, Mar 1, 2018.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

"So worst case scenario I buy back in at $20 an ounce. I just grew that portion of the hord by 50%. Definitely worth it."

Definitely NOT the worst case. Worst case, you never see the prices you sold for again. But I have to admire your confidence, putting your money where your mouth is, so to speak. You're putting your faith in things repeating past patterns.

See that near vertical climb in the money supply beginning March, 2020 ? That is a huge supply of new 'money' chasing goods and services......the classic definition of inflation. Some of that is going to chase precious metals and continue to drive the price higher and higher.

[​IMG]

Trump just signed an EO (we'll save the arguments about whether he has the authority to do so for another time) that extends the federal unemployment 'gimme' at $400wk thru the end of the year. (That is another 10k excess that will flow into our household personally) AND suspended the payroll tax.....7.65% to employees, another 7.65% to employers.....a 15.3% tax CUT in one stroke of the pen !! Another 15.3% that will have to be "borrowed/printed" to cover social security.

As I've said before.....the price of metals is being driven by printed money and the inability to ever raise interest rates again (in fact, they will go lower yet). I wouldn't be surprised to see silver jump 5 bucks next week.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

So hold em is what I'm reading ?

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You need to go back in time a lot further.
    In my lifetime silver has gone for about $150 an ounce when adjusted for inflation and it's dropped below 1/10th of that.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

No the gold/silver ratio always corrects after 2-3 years.
    If you got money burning holes in your pocket buy platinum. The Platinum to gold ratio is near a 120 year low.
    So you know gold is way over valued or platinum is way under valued.
    With one being at an all time high and the other on the low end of its normal price range it's pretty easy to sort out which one is which.
    If you buy gold now you will be sitting on a loss for up to a decade.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Noooooooo, I have these 2 plus one more...1 oz Silver Buffalo Rounds | Silver Buffalo Coins | APMEX
    APMEX 1 oz Silver Bar | .999 Fine Silver | APMEX®
    Thinking about cashing in and buying another boat,Like a 18' Sea Ark
    Or do I hold off selling ?

6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I know @TnAndy and many others are watching !! MANY
    Keep us posted , either way Sir
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well it looks like people are warming up to or getting desperate enough to pay well over spot for silver.
    I'm guessing the big sellers have been milked dry.

If silver is definitely going to and stay at $40 or $50 why don't the big silver sellers hord it by the train loads at $30 and sell some when ever their standard of living drops below like what you see in a typical rap musical video?When infact they are locking people in by selling silver they won't even have it for 2 or 3 weeks?
    Seems really stupid if silver is definitely going to 40 or 50 and staying there.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I think it will drop here to 20 for a week or so before it is off to the races...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Silver does crazy things. If it peaks out around $30 this time then it could do more harm to the industry than good. $10 silver may be possible and $15 silver is definitely back on the table at least for a little while.
    All I know is the silver bulls, silver fan boys are always wrong. Every time silver seems to perk up a little they have been calling "runaway bull market" like a broken parrot, or "silver is going to break $40 again" for 9 years. And this is the first time in about 8 years it looks like their predictions may bear some fruit and now everyone is listening to them for some reason.
    They probably are share holders in or are employed by PM retailers.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have people buying 5 ounce bars and 5 packs of ones for pretty much what I paid for a 10 ounce bar.
    They are running up auctions and paying immediately. It's crazy.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm evil. I waited for spot prices to tank then I accepted all the pending offers for over $30 an ounce.
    So I might not get paid for all of these.

When I buy back in I get 1.5 to 2 times what I sold in poured 10oz bars and poured kilos.
    I'm only going to sell about 4 kilos, I should be able to bring that back as at least, 5 kilos if I know what I'm doing, 6 kilos and a 10oz if I'm good. If I'm lucky bring it back as 7kilo.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Yep,Tank day has arrived.

13. TnAndy

Should be fine.....once again, spot price and real price disconnect. Only way you get generic rounds at APMEX for example under 30 bucks is to buy 100 or more......then they drop to 29.50. Silver eagles are 35.39 when you buy a 1,000 or more. Spot can be manipulated, but it doesn't mean one can actually buy at those prices.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Same thing happened 3 months ago when the price dropped to $12-$13 an ounce.
    I found shot for $17.40 delivered when the spot price was about $14. Because that's all I could find unless I wanted to pay a $12 spot fee.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

In a few days all my silver selling will be over and I can calculate the damage.
    All the auctions end, take a day, maybe 2 for that last person to pay, add it all up, subtract fees, shipping, supplies, probably have it all sorted by next weekend. It's probably going to be just shy of $30 an ounce.
    I am very pleased with how well its went.
    Buy back in 1 to 5 years from now, might not come back as silver.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Some more ended tonight. The silver spot price is down but people are bidding on stuff like it's still $30 an ounce.
    I guess there's value added in same and next day shipping.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. TnAndy

If they can't buy it cheaper, then price REALLY IS what people will pay. The whole concept of free market.
    Ebay, being an auction type place, is really one of the best examples of the free market in action.

"Spot" price is merely some mythical price that few ever obtain.....it perhaps can be used as some guidance as to where buying and selling may go, but mostly it's a joke.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have bought silver bars at and near spot, you have to catch a dealer panic sale when the price is going down, down and down.
    Last time this happened was 3 years ago it was down around $14 and falling, no bottom in sight with spot fees nearly 40 cents an ounce on bars and I wasn't buying hundreds of ounces.

I also learned don't have your auctions end late at night or early in the morning.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oh and gold is no where near its all time high. In 1980 gold hit $2,800 when adjusted for inflation.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Well i have been lining my inside vault with shinny stuff..
    Fiat buys day-2-day and items I like . Saw 70 panels of 96 cell 48VDC /500W for 400 each or grouped at 21K for all ..
    Investment !!
    Sloth

1. VisuTrac
  2. ED GEiN
  3. Ganado
  4. Motomom34
  5. oil pan 4
  6. T. Riley
  7. oil pan 4
  8. Bandit99
  9. oil pan 4
  10. thegoldlock.com