Buying Land

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Nov 30, 2018.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Stay safe Tornadoes on the menu today.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Where at are you looking? Get the hell out of Denver and move ether south or west, ideally up the Plateau, water is about the only issue as long as there is 'lectrc already ran! Well depth can vary greatly, my well only went 600 feet, the ranch down at the end of the road had to go 1300 feet, the other side of the highway went to 900 feet and a little further up only went 200 feet, weird!
    I paid $5000 per acre on 186 acres on top of the 20 acre lot and homestead with cabin for $26,000! I had water and power, but needed to drill a second well, total drilling cost was $12000!
    There are several places up by us available for those kind of prices, there is a really nice cabin ( House) on a two acre lot with tons of parking and a nice 2 car garage currently listed for $89000! Low fire danger, lots of snow on a county maintained road, and only 20 min from Woodland Park!

Motomom34, 3cyl and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Oh, have friends in the area, Today I'm on the road 100 miles away

chelloveck, Motomom34 and HK_User like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Good luck @Motomom34! Only thing I thought of was water rights if applicable.

5. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

One last thought: If the property is accessible by big rigs, or even frame-over tanker trucks, have the soil/water tested. Around here there are large contaminated parcels where illegal dumping of chemicals has occurred. Typically a farm with absentty owners.
    Good luck to you!

6. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Wells and Dividing Land

You must have water... you can always do Solar.
    The County will tell you what you can build to live in.
    The Electric Company/COOP will tell you how much it will cost to bring in Electric.
    Just walk in/drive in and talk to the neighbors .

Realty Agents are one small step above a used car salesman, that's why when you buy a piece of property through them you have to initial off on about 16 pages of legal crap that basically covers their ass.

Always best to go directly to the owner even if not currently for sale. The Title Insurance Company keeps you safe, they are the ones that insure that nobody else has a lien on the property, not the agent.

Go to the County Assessor to learn who might own a piece of property in the same area that you are looking to buy.

Wells that are 300' deep are normal around here, I just paid just over $8K for one last month.

Rancher

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Ura-Ki three plots, two are in Park County and one is in Teller. The one I am really liking is in Park County.

Thank you all for the info. I spoke with the listing agent today. She was on her cell phone and not great cell service up there. I did learn that you cannot camp on your land more then 100 days. She also said that a dwelling could not be less then 200 square feet because they do not want tiny houses being built. I was just asking about water and perk test when she lost cell service. I will be talking to her tomorrow and calling my real estate agent.

Thank you for the links @enloopious and @azrancher.

That is why I am focusing on the one lot. Colorado is booming and people are moving further out of the city. I can see the area becoming developed in the future but the lot has a view that could turn a profit if it get too crowded. I do not plan on staying in CO forever but the kids are. But I do know I could look at the view and happily live in that area.

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

@Motomom34 I'm in Teller County, but Park is just a few miles away! Be careful, Have a good look at the trees around the lots, they had pretty good fires last spring/summer there! A lot slower moving then other areas, but still! Teller and PArk do a pretty good job managing the forests up there especially since the Crown Peak fires in 09 that that Ranger set!

9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

So true , and some SOME drillers will pass the first aquifer just to bill more ..
    I have 3 wells ( But Canada is all Rules & BS to the MAX .
    Permits and licences will KILL you

Just as we call them , LOT Lizards !!
    They will talk without knowledge !

TR5 also hit the NAIL . (Their Land)
    ALSO here we had a few wells drilled and arsenic was found in some , SO they had to re-drill & that cost & cost . !!

Slow & sure
    Sloth

Go up and spend a week at a dinner / coffee shop & do yur own legg work !!

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Water and purity is a concern of mine. I was checking other properties and found a place a few miles away. It had a well already drilled but they stated it was for livestock only. Not sure why they would put that. Safe for animals but not humans or is it because of the flow/recovery.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. HK_User

Often it has to do with the depth. Too shallow and it may not flow at a decent rate or may not ever make a pocket of clear water or taste good.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. HK_User

You should be able to find a report like this for your area.

Google Maps: Trinity Aquifer

Trinity Aquifer | Texas Water Development Board
    Trinity Aquiferinteractive map | cross-section
    Summary
    The Trinity Aquifer, a major aquifer, extends across much of the central and northeastern part of the state.

Trinity Aquiferinteractive map | cross-section
    Summary

The Trinity Aquifer, a major aquifer, extends across much of the central and northeastern part of the state. It is composed of several smaller aquifers contained within the Trinity Group. Although referred to differently in different parts of the state, they include the Antlers, Glen Rose, Paluxy, Twin Mountains, Travis Peak, Hensell, and Hosston aquifers. These aquifers consist of limestones, sands, clays, gravels, and conglomerates. Their combined freshwater saturated thickness averages about 600 feet in North Texas and about 1,900 feet in Central Texas.

In general, groundwater is fresh but very hard in the outcrop of the aquifer. Total dissolved solids increase from less than 1,000 milligrams per liter in the east and southeast to between 1,000 and 5,000 milligrams per liter, or slightly to moderately saline, as the depth to the aquifer increases. Sulfate and chloride concentrations also tend to increase with depth.

The aquifer is one of the most extensive and highly used groundwater resources in Texas. Although its primary use is for municipalities, it is also used for irrigation, livestock, and other domestic purposes. Some of the state's largest water level declines, ranging from 350 to more than 1,000 feet, have occurred in counties along the IH-35 corridor from McLennan County to Grayson County. These declines are primarily attributed to municipal pumping, but they have slowed over the past decade as a result of increasing reliance on surface water.

Reports
    Show
    entries
    Search:

ID
    Date Type Description
    R-380 7/1/2011 TWDB numbered report Aquifers of Texas
    R-377 6/1/2011 TWDB numbered report Groundwater Availability Model: Hill Country Portion of the Trinity Aquifer of Texas
    R-353 9/1/2000 TWDB numbered report Groundwater Availability of the Trinity Aquifer, Hill Country Area, Texas: Numerical Simulations through 2050
    R-350 11/1/1999 TWDB numbered report Changes in Groundwater Conditions in the Edwards and Trinity Aquifers, 1987-1997, for Portions of Bastrop, Bell, Burnet, Lee, Milam, Travis, and Williamson Counties, Texas
    R-349 11/1/1999 TWDB numbered report Updated Evaluation of Water Resources in Part of North-Central Texas, 1990-1999
    R-346 3/1/1996 TWDB numbered report The Paleozoic and Related Aquifers of Central Texas
    R-339 8/1/1992 TWDB numbered report Evaluation of Ground-Water Resources of the Paleozoic and Cretaceous Aquifers in the Hill Country of Central Texas
    R-331 7/1/1991 TWDB numbered report Ground-Water Quality Monitoring of the Trinity Aquifer in the Vicinity of Erath County
    R-322 3/1/1990 TWDB numbered report Ground-Water Evaluation in and Adjacent to Dripping Springs, Texas
    R-319 1/1/1990 TWDB numbered report Evaluation of Water Resources in Part of Central Texas
    R-318 1/1/1990 TWDB numbered report Evaluation of Water Resources in Part of North-Central Texas
    R-308 8/1/1988 TWDB numbered report Occurrence and Quality of Ground Water in Jack County, Texas
    R-276 6/1/1983 TWDB numbered report Occurrence, Availability, and Quality of Ground Water in Travis County, Texas
    R-273 1/1/1983 TWDB numbered report Ground-Water Availability of the Lower Cretaceous Formations in the Hill Country of South-Central Texas
    R-269 4/1/1982 TWDB numbered report Occurrence, Availability and Chemical Quality of Ground Water in the Cretaceous Aquifers of North-Central Texas, Volumes 1 & 2
    R-235 7/1/1979 TWDB numbered report Occurrence, Availability, and Chemical Quality of Ground Water in the Edwards Plateau Region of Texas
    R-224 10/1/1978 TWDB numbered report Occurrence, Quantity, and Quality of Ground Water in Taylor County, Texas
    R-195 11/1/1975 TWDB numbered report Ground-Water Resources of Part of Central Texas with Emphasis on the Antlers and Travis Peak Formations, Volumes 1 & 2
    R-174 7/1/1973 TWDB numbered report Ground-Water Resources of Blanco County, Texas
    R-160 11/1/1972 TWDB numbered report Ground-Water Resources of Navarro County, Texas
    R-109 3/1/1970 TWDB numbered report Ground-Water Resources of Bastrop County, Texas
    R-102 11/1/1969 TWDB numbered report Ground-Water Resources of Kerr County, Texas
    R-058 8/1/1967 TWDB numbered report Occurrence and Quality of Ground Water in Montague County, Texas
    R-046 5/1/1967 TWDB numbered report Occurrence and Quality of Ground Water in Brown County, Texas
    R-029 9/1/1966 TWDB numbered report Base-Flow Studies, Upper Guadalupe River Basin, Texas, Quality and Quantity
    Showing 1 to 25 of 147 entries
    Previous123456Next
    Contextual Promotional Navigation

Other Navigation

Agency Info
    Other TWDB Websites
    Inside TWDB
    W

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  13. HK_User

The Colorado Geological Survey Water

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Biggest problems I've had with lots that I can't keep a daily eye on has been thieves... elected and non-elected.

SB21, STANGF150, 3cyl and 2 others like this.
  16. HK_User

Yup, I returned to where I now live and found 45 T post removed before I could put up the fence.

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

\

That is way we sold our Utah property. All the 'good neighbors" stealing every not nailed down....come to think of it, even the stuff that was nailed down got ripped off.

Ganado, Zimmy, oldman11 and 1 other person like this.
  18. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

WTH is a "Land Bank" ?? An why do those two words together send the same shiver down my Country Soul as "HOA" does???

SB21 and oldman11 like this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This lot became a no go. Someone else knew the area would be a hot spot in the future and they have set up an HOA. They want me to pay HOA fees of $6 for nothing and they have guidelines. They area is basically undeveloped. The realtor I was talking to stopped talking, I guess she did not like all my questions and requests for all info up-front.

On to the next lot I am looking at

20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Don't put the heat,hard questions to realtors,One step above a used car salesman in some cases.

oldman11, HK_User and Motomom34 like this.
  1. Motomom34
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Yard Dart
  10. phishi
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7