Buying silver, where to start

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by rush81, Feb 3, 2010.

1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Nah, won't crash comex.
    If people bought a contract and then headed to NY to pickup their silver ingots they are going to be surprised that they'll be handed a check and told .. you should have read the fine print about force majeure provision in the contract. Just be glad you are getting the check.

mysterymet and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

last buy was last week @ 30.60 CDN per 1 Troy oz of Ag @999.9 Maple.
    If we had a AU thread , id post it in there .
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Cruisin Sloth

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I was trying to read thru this and find which on line dealers are good to order from, Not seeing names so who do you guys use on line. I already have a local guy but his supplier jumped the commission to 5 an ounce.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Apmex, pinehurst mint, bullion exchange, silvertowne from the silvertowne dealer.

Avoid liberty gold and silver out of Washington state unless you specify have to deal in rhodium. They appear to be incompetent.
    Avoid anyone who advertises on cable tv. Their spot price is about 3x higher than anyone who is reasonable.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. VisuTrac

SDBullion usually has good prices but best to check the all the online dealers when you are ready to purchase.
    But also call your Local Coin store to see what they have in stock.

because the prices change daily some times by the minute.

Gator 45/70 and ghrit like this.
  7. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I buy silver whenever I have some extra cash regardless of the price (there is an upper limit), because I will be holding on to it until SHTF or I die. Hopefully, my family will be smart enough to hold on to it and not cash it in for some of that funny money.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  8. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Same here. Ridiculous to let it build up in savings at a faction of a per cent they now pay and inflation running 5%.....or 12% if you use the method to calculate it they used to.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Buying at an 8 year high with a nearly $10 an ounce spot fee is a great way to end up with less money than you started with.

10. TnAndy

Yeah...heard the same thing when it was 6 bucks an ounce. At least then you could get 5-7% on a CD. Today, my credit union is offering a whopping 1.05% on a jumbo CD (100k +) for 4 years.

And don't confuse currency with money.

11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I didn't discover silver till it was $20 to $30 an ounce and didn't buy any for years i dont know what the spot price was since i didnt buy any. Cause my family was/is po so I didn't know about shit like that growing up.
    I think enabling the gougers is stupid. No I know enabling the gougers is stupid, I had lots of people very eager to pay $35 or more an ounce.
    Not buying any back around 2008 and waiting I got about 3x more silver for my money, assuming the spot price was at least $5 an ounce.
    Think I'll wait till it's down and get twice as much or more silver for my money. It worked last time.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. VisuTrac

Hey, they shipped my box to the wrong address. Please repackage and send to me. I'll cover the shipping. Keep a couple of tubes for your troubles. LOL

JK, Nice score @TnAndy

Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. VisuTrac

I'm pretty sure that @TnAndy has been dollar cost averaging for quite a while. This probably hasn't move is cost basis much even at today spot plus premium.

Investors take the long term view and compare silver to something like say a cow, land, a gallon or barrel of oil. And it's pretty much been holding it's own in terms of purchasing power.

speculators look at how little can i pay to obtain and how much and how fast i can sell it for fiat. And fiat by default looses value continuously.

Completely different reasons for having stacks. And different goals.

@TnAndy isn't wrong to purchase this. He just has a different use for it than you do. Which is also valid. It's just that you have different time horizons.

Gator 45/70 and mysterymet like this.
  14. Cruisin Sloth

I'm With @TnAndy since the 60's
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I was only trying to buy at the 1 to 2 year lows.
    Right now a thousand dollars probably only gets 30 ounces or so.
    I can wait and get about 2x as much.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. VisuTrac

Not sure if we'll see 15 dollar silver again. the lower the paper market goes the higher physical demand goes. Maybe we'll see 20 but i wouldn't hold my breath as it could be several years.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Last time it took several years.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Maybe... depends on what the fed does and what the international community does. Fed coin anyone???

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. TnAndy

Well I wondered why it had your name on the shipping. Don't worry, I signed for ya.....and the other two boxes as well. :D

20. VisuTrac

[LMAO][winkthumb]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. chelloveck
  2. Yard Dart
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Motomom34
  5. oil pan 4
  6. UncleMorgan
  7. oil pan 4
  8. AD1