Buying sovereign territory through "Go-fund-me"

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by GhostX, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

1) you cannot sustain 1300 people on that small of an island

2) it was lease hold not freehold

2. GhostX

GhostX Monkey

Well I thought about this and if all of the island could be sectioned off into a grid, every person could have 2 acres to themselves... so yeah it would be a little crowded (and I don't know how everyone would feel about being stuck on an island with everyone else) but I still think it would be possible. If everyone ran a solar power system I can think of a way that they all could be linked together to compile energy for the use of the entire community. (But yeah, now that I think about it I can see a potential Lord of Flies type of scenario unfolding)

Oh, I missed that part. So it would never really work then anyway. Gotcha[touchdown]

What would make this idea unique compared to anything that has been tried before is the use of technology. If every member of the community was to be given something like a smart phone to stay connected with, everyone could constantly receive updates for happenings in the community. Once a week there could be a voting period held to make necessary changes to make the community stronger and everyone would get a say. The majority decision would rule. Anyone could suggest a change and be heard by the majority through the use of simple forums like this and apps that will send out alerts. No one's say would be more important than anyone else's and no one is forced to support anything they don't believe in supporting.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2016
  3. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

On a related topic, "co-housing" incorporates a lot of the ideas in this topic.

Everything is organized, run, and paid for by the community. There is a lot of common space and shared resources, kind of like a modern day version of a hippie commune.

Welcome! | The Cohousing Association

It's not anything I'd get into myself but I can understand the appeal. Many prepper groups are a loose form of co-housing.

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I don't see a lot of difference between this scheme and a frat house. No, thanx, been there, seen it, done it. (Tee shirt wore out long ago polishing a car.) I will say the frat house was cleaner than the commune, but we hired a cleaning lady (and a cook.)

Ganado likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7