Buying the wife a gun and bad circular logic.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by wideym, Jun 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

I've worked part time at local gun shop for seven years and I've heard the same conversation over and over again.
    Customer: I'm looking for a gun for my wife/girlfriend/daughter.
    Me: Bring her in and we can find the right gun for her.
    Customer: She's not interested in guns, just show me what's cheap.
    Me: If she's not interested in guns then why buy her one?
    Customer: So she can protect herself, so a 22 or 25 ought to do.
    Me: For 50 to 100 dollars more you could buy a decent pistol in a decent caliber.
    Customer: That's okay, she won't need it anyway.
    Me: If she won't need it, then why buy it?
    Customer: Because I want her to be able to protect herself.

And it keeps going in circles. I love her enough to want her to be able to protect herself, but not enough to spend any real money on.

Another employee actually had a good saying. "You don't buy your wife's shoes do you? Then how do you know this gun is the right fit until she tries it on for size."

I always suggest they involve the significant other in the process. They always feel more comfortable and sometimes they find out that buying them a gun is the last thing they want.

Zimmy, STANGF150, arleigh and 9 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Or... Try and convince someone who didn't grow up with guns in the house, doesn't believe there is any threat to themselves or their family, someone who can barely handle a sharp kitchen knife that they need, what they perceive to be a very dangerous object, to defend themselves. My situation... :rolleyes: :whistle:

Zimmy and sec_monkey like this.
  3. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

.380 if perfect for a handbag pistol

4. Mindy Sue

Mindy Sue Monkey

Along with her being involved in picking it out should be a gun safety course.....concealed weapons course and lots of practice time at the range. Safety. Safety. Safety. The proper gun for her is important but she has to want it and carry it to actually protect herself so I agree do not waste your time or money otherwise. Maybe a home defense gun would be the better choice if they still don't want to listen.

Motomom34, Dunerunner and sec_monkey like this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

If she doesn't want it,,,,chances are , she won't use even when she needs it,,,,

Zimmy, ochit, Alf60 and 4 others like this.
  6. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

I prefer women as customers over men, because they tend to ask questions and WILL READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL!

Factory instruction manuals tell you every thing you need to know about your gun, including safety rules.

The point of the thread is that many men will profess their desire for the "loved one" to protect themselves when they are not around, but provide the poorest excuse for handgun for them to do it with. Although they will spare no expense when it comes to their handgun.

Zimmy, Dunerunner and Oddcaliber like this.
  7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I much prefer teaching a woman to shoot than a guy, especially young guys. The guys want to go into tacticool stuff right away, they try to shoot the way they see their TV heroes do - pistol sideways, or some other nonsense.
    A woman, on the other hand, when she decides she needs to learn to shoot, she is totally serious. She listens, and follows instructions. The toughest part is getting her past her fears, of recoil and noise. I start her on a .22, then progress to a .38Special or 9mm.
    Above all, make her comfortable, don't yell at her, help her to acclimate. At the end of the day, she will outshoot those "tacticool boyz" all day long.
    Once she knows her way around the gun, then take her to a gunshop and let her testfit various guns.

8. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Realistically you need to ask what the chances it will be used on the male customer... he may need it to be a .22 short or a .25....

Zimmy, STANGF150 and ochit like this.
  9. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Or a pocket pistol when it's 100 F and 110% humidity. There's days I just cannot wear a cover garment more substantial than an untucked golf shirt.

Zimmy likes this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Started AlaskaChick out with my 1903 Colt Pocket Pistol in 38ACP... We were Dirt Poor, back in those days, and just getting by on my Wages... Couldn't afford Store Bought Ammo even if they still Made It, so learned to make my own, and invested a Tax Return in the RCBS Rock-Crusher Press, that I still own today... She progressed nicely, and about six months later I bought her a nice little LLama .380ACP Pistol, and she went and acquired a Washington State Carry Permit... Then I made my First BIG Mistake... I let her shoot my Shiny NEW Belgian Browning Hi Power in 9mm, that I had purchased to replace my 1903 Colt Pocket Pistol in 38ACP, as my Travel FireArm.... She loved the feel of that weapon so much, that she INFORMED ME, that whenever I wasn't traveling, this was HER GUN... That lasted until I got my first FFL, and bought her a Dan Wesson .357 Magnum Stainless Pistol Pak... and reclaimed my Browning HiPower... I swapped Instructing duties, with a customer of my High Accuracy Ammunition... He taught AlaskaChick, and I taught his wife... Worked out really well, as both ladies are crack Shots with their Handguns.. AlaskaChick still like to take the S&W 29 in .44 Magnum, out for a spin every once in a while, but usually after 12 Shots, her wrists start to hurt...

11. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

Isn't buying a gun on behalf of someone else (who is not preset), like, totally illegal??

The customer is being very cagey and talking in circles. That alone is grounds for refusing the sale even if the law says it's ok.

If you need to try that hard to get a straight answer...run away! Why are you even indulging these dolts?

Zimmy likes this.
  12. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

You can buy a gun as a gift for anyone, as long as you don't knowingly buy for a prohibited person. Buying for a prohibited person is a "straw purchase" and could result in all parties involved going to jail and is just plain stupid if you do.

We did have a guy look at various pistols and decide on a Glock 21. When I handed him a form he said hold on a minute and went out to his car. I thought he left his ID or wallet in there, but he lead in the oldest, blindest, man I had seen in a long time, stating that the old man was buying if for himself and he would be filling out the form. We quickly ran him off and notified other gun and pawn shops in the area.

Pyrrhus, Zimmy, Alf60 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

When my Wife first came here, she already knew her way around a few firearms, curtasy of the Ukrainian women's auxiliary forces VVIS, so, when the subject came up of her wanting self protection options, we naturally discussed all her God given rights as a new citizen applicant. I let her try every one of my hand guns, and we had several friends and friends wives let her try them out. She initially settled on a Taurus 24/7 compact .45 and became quite proficint with it. Then she fell head over heels for a "Cute" little STI Double stack .45 2011 series 1911, and all was right in the world! Later on she decided she liked the S&W shield, so she picked one up and ran it for about a year and a half, until my Dad picked up a M&P 2.0 series .40, and she loved it so much, she went and picked one up for her new carry rig! She also carries a sweet little Beretta Cougar 9mm some times, it makes a nice open carry when she and I are out and about on the town!

14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

The whole concept of buying a weapon for someone else is ludicrous. Fit, feel...as was mentioned above you don't buy her shoes...

Now my wife did buy me a carbine...until she fired it, then it became hers...I suspect that was her plan all along, but a minty, early, correct, non-reimport M1 carbine for two bills - couldn't go wrong.

Zimmy, STANGF150, Oddcaliber and 2 others like this.
  15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Gotta keeper I did! She has laid claim to a number of firearms that were "Formerly" mine, to include said STI, and a few nice rifles! Even better, she has been known to go gun shopping on her onesome with out my input, knowing what she was looking for, or at least an idea of what she wanted!
    I knew it was a forever deal when she came home with a Tikka T3 in .243 win, she wanted a .243, tried out a Tikka at the shop, and loved the quality, fit and finish, so she bought it and proudly showed me Her new rifle when I got home! I don't know who gets more excited to go gun shopping, me or Her! I do know neither of us can pass by a new to us gun shop! Lol
    If I do buy her a firearm, it's something I know she wants, or something I know she would really like, and chances are, if it's something I like, she will like it too and claim it Hers! Lol!

Zimmy likes this.
  16. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Beretta model 21 --22LR double action single action no racking the slide has a tip up barrel small but fits a normal hand very concealable 8 rounds fully loaded.

[​IMG]

Zimmy likes this.
  17. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I made my wife a gift certificate for a conceal and carry class for her birthday one year. After she went to the class and bought her license she was excited about it and bought a conceal and carry purse, she take it with her everywhere. I gave her my .22 Taurus Ultralight revolver to carry. I used it as an excuse to buy a new .22 for myself. :)

Zimmy likes this.
  18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I normally make an argument centered around "If she doesn't like it, she won't carry it, I don;t want you to waste your money man"...works 50% or so. Can't fault them, because they are genuinely concerned, but letting fear make your decisions instead of arguing with your wife until she will look at a gun...I married a gun chick, so I have to talk her into staying home...

Zimmy and Oddcaliber like this.
  19. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

My wife tells me to either shoot people or says someone should shoot someone else. (mostly liberals) So the fact that she doesn't want to learn how to shoot is better for everyone everywhere! I feel safer!

Ganado, oldman11 and Zimmy like this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Don't buy any thing for some one else your wouldn't want your self.
    That way , if they turn it down you've got something you want any way.

1. 3M-TA3
  2. Matei
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Yard Dart
  5. hot diggity
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. Dont
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Marvin L. Steinhagen
  12. Ura-Ki