C.E.R.T. Class FYI's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tracy, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

In a previous thread about CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) classes, I felt there was some concern about "resources" that might be listed or taken - for the greater good - in the event of an emergency.

Well; I've picked up my manual and read through it. It does have an "Equipment Resources" Form. The items on it are: Fire extinguisher, Wrench, Flashlight, First Aid Kit and Blankets. That's it. No explanation on how to break into your shed and borrow the big stuff.

The class covers (based on manual overview):
    Emergency Preparedness
    Fire Safety
    Emergency Medical Operations
    Light Search and Rescue
    CERT Organization
    Disaster Psychology
    Terrorism and CERT
    Disaster Simulation

I'll be taking the class beginning next week through the end of March. If you Monkeys are interested, I'll keep you posted on what's taught so that you might determine whether you're really interested in finding a class in your area or would rather stay away from this type of training.

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Seems like more info is always a good thing, so by all means keep us posted, the info should help with folks decisions either way.

3. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thanks Tracy. Knowledge is Power.

4. Tracy

Well; class this week was a general overview of what's to come. I told my Mr., "It's like hanging out at Survival Monkey, only with audio."

A lot of what they talked about, I read here first. Preparedness, 72-hour bags for each family member, tools, fuel storage, medical needs, etc. How the infrastructure would be affected. The number of Emergency services for our area and where they'd be focusing their efforts. Different situations to be aware of. The most immediate local threats and what we might do to handle them.

Make sure your family's taken care of before trying to help anyone else seems to be the main idea (so far). It seems to me to be a good-neighbor class. Get the skills, use them, type of thing.

"It will be the hardest thing some of you have ever done", says the instructor, regarding deciding who to help (or who to not help).

My classmates are a mix of society, including the one gal who was dumb as a box of rocks - no joke. "So, will the stuff my son left at my house help in case of emergency? He's in the military" Instructor: "You can't just grab his air packs and equipment, unless you've been trained to use them. They fit him, not you, so they wouldn't do you any good." DAABOR: "No, I mean stuff like his jacket." Oh yeah. This is gonna' be a fun one! Took all I had to keep a straight face![LMAO] I don't know how the instructor maintained composure while looking right at her.

Next week, I get to put out fires. I'm pretty jazzed!

5. sci

sci Monkey+++

CERT is definitely a nice class to submerge oneself in. Plus, you get free stuff... [touchdown]

Of course, the program isn't necessarily teaching SHTF situations, but at least it gives some knowledge on emergency preparedness. Even though most sheeple don't know what the hell CERT is, I think it adds something to be able to say you're ready to take action in your neighborhood.

I took the certificate they gave me after completion, scanned it, resized it, and laminated it so I can carry it in my wallet.

I'm sorry to hear about the dumb person in your class; my class was filled with Army veterans who would constantly challenge what the instructor taught: "I never leave one of my own behind..." "If they have an open mid-section wound, you've got to piss on it to keep it moist and then throw a cloth over it."

But, then again, they ARE my family members, hahaha.

6. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Thanks, helps shed some reality on all the tinfoil hat "terror storm" anxiety inducing crap( I like to post)..

7. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Thanks Tracy.
    I really think most of us will see minor local disturbances 1000:1 over major stuff.

Keep us posted

8. Tracy

Week 2

He taught about different types of fires and the extinguishers that are most effective for each. When to try and when to get out. Then we got to put out a fire.

It was the first time that I've ever put out a fire with an extinguisher. It was also the first time I put out a fire that I didn't start (except a campfire, of course).

I'm really glad that I had that opportunity when it wasn't an emergency. I found that I had grossly underestimated the ability of fire extinguishers.

9. Tracy

Weeks 3 and 4

Emergency Medical Operations were covered.

They did not cover what you get in a First Aid/CPR class. They covered major, catastrophic, do-the-most-good-for-the-most-people stuff: Getting the walking wounded out of harm's way; Tagging injured people by severity for removal and medical treatment; Triage; Emergency splinting; Stopping sever bleeding; Opening airways; Using what you can find for stretchers and helping severly injured persons evacuate a dangerous area.

10. Tracy

Week 5

Light Search and Rescue. A little book time, then hands-on.

We did an indoor Search & recovery. I got to be team leader (too many people are afraid to speak up and take charge of unknown situations). Be prepared for frantic parents and "helpful" onlookers as potential hazards to an expedient search.

Rescue of someone trapped under a concrete slab. Required team work and direction. Our team leader for this project was wishy-washy and unsure of himself. I feel this caused a loss of valuable time for our victim.

Outdoor night search. I think that I had more fun than most of the people in this section, as I "played" it like hide & go seek in the dark (a family favorite). We found our victim and several hazards that other teams didn't notice, which we could report to any heavy-rescue teams that came after our initial search.

I really thought this week's class was valuable for it's hands-on simulations.

If you are faint of heart or not a leader-type; an emergency situation is not a time to "test" your abilities. There are a lot of tasks on the team that will not put you in a situation that you're not ready for. Know your current limitations. Expand your comfort level. It may save the life of a loved one!

I would suggest that, for those that haven't, you practice fire drills and even searches in your own home/yard. The kids love a good game of hide and go seek - and it will give you that extra "edge" that you might need in an emergency situation.

Pay attention to homes in your area. Structure and layout. Is there a house just like one of your friend's (that you've been in)? This will give you an idea of how you might search out an unfamiliar house (compare/contrast). It will help you identify living spaces and sleeping areas where people might be found or trapped.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7