Caches in the forest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mongovb, Feb 20, 2012.

1. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

If I were you, I wouldn't lose any sleep or shed any tears over not getting land in Hawaii....isn't it an area that will be at serious risk for possibly cataclysmic damage if the Pacific Rim decides to let go with some or all of its "firecrackers"? Not to mention (but let's do) Tsunamis after the earthquake events.....and so very far away from any kind of help or evacuation areas. AND, the strong possibility of large parts of those islands falling off into the ocean.

2. mongovb

mongovb Monkey+

Yea, it was never really a thought. I have family there and dont understand why they stay. My uncle works 2 sometimes 3 jobs and my aunt works one just to make ends meet and cover my cousin's college tuition. I guess locations are more important to some than others. They live pretty high up on Maui so It would take a whopper of a tsunami to reach them.

3. xls

xls Monkey

we have 1 original container that is on my personal land and we checked it annually for fun after 3 years it was fine after 7 years it is starting to show surface rust simular to one might get sitting in a home cabinet and not being oiled.

I see it as 7 years of time and fresh air/moisture being introduced. it is light, surface rust not pitting I figure its occuring from the time we put the lid on until the crystals absorb the moisture.
    the others I simply walk by to check them durring hunting seasons or while scouting to make my presence seem normal if I was spotted.

oldawg and chelloveck like this.
  4. xls

xls Monkey

We have done alot of testing on them and our base. It is an acre of underground bunker and make of car tires and using 55 gallon steel drums.

5. xls

xls Monkey

depending on your area you may find recently logged land that has been planted in pine , this is an area where a cache is possible considdering it will be 20 years before anyone cuts them.

6. mongovb

mongovb Monkey+

Good point.

7. xls

xls Monkey

and the worst places you can add a cache.

in the back yard of a stranger......when they are home......and there is a cop in the household and its 2 A.M.when you find this all out.( I had to have fun lol)

8. mongovb

mongovb Monkey+

If you would have gotten away with it, at least you know it would have been safe. You were supposed to wait until he was gone.[peep]

9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Having a third eye is god's way of letting you know....

Having a third eye is god's way of letting you know that your fieldcraft isn't up to scratch!

Your surveillance and fieldcraft skills may need just a little brushing up. ; )

10. xls

xls Monkey

I felt obligated to post where not to do it so future readers dont get the wrong ideas of where to hide it, considering most young reader can only associate prepping with zombie video games and their SHTF scenario is mom comming home late or the power cutting off durring Resident evil,call of duty.

STANGF150 and chelloveck like this.
  11. chelloveck

good to see that you have a nice sense of humour....power outages at critical MUD gaming moments can be very alarming!!! ; ) That's why I have an UPS, so that I am never caught mid upload of a missive to the SM forums.

12. xls

xls Monkey

I do have a good sense of humor what I dont have is the ability to talk to guys that want a plasma rifle or a non recoiling .50 cal. They just cant separate their game life from reality. No SM guy would consider a plasma rifle or his mommy as a real asset in that moment. (sorry back on topic)

13. I wouldn't go that far... I've seen some bad ass mommy's out there that tend to be very nice assets (my wife included) ^^ but I fully understand where your coming from :)

14. xls

xls Monkey

here,here a toast to TheyCallMeBruce. THOSE MOMMY`s are not my refferenced mommy`s. LOL
    and a second to the mommy`s who`s assets are simply her assets because even if they cant do much they will keep us warm in the night (self-edited)and watch our backs personally.

after re-reading my last post my wife would get all over me for it with her "I see how you feel, now watch what happends now" eyes. LOL

TheyCall MeBruce likes this.
  15. xls

xls Monkey

This is my firs reply in a long while, I hope the members is still frequent.

I in fact have opened 1 this year just to check out the long term storage of it and it is all well . Some things was unexpected but still acceptable to the system.

chelloveck and BTPost like this.
  16. chelloveck

The acid test is whether or not the colon finds kindly the stuff that you manage to force down your gullet. :eek:

17. xls

xls Monkey

I have a new twist to this also that others may have considered

I have avalible most summers a chance to buy used camping hulls for pickups. I frequent flea markets, swap meets and junk yards .
    In doing so I get most hills for under $100.00 cash.
    On public lands my wife and I will walk it into an area off the trail and place it on the ground, place a marker flag at the corners, remove the hull and proceed to clean leaf mass then we dig the square about 1' deep over the entirety of the flagged area. Then centering in this space we dig all but the last foot of the square out to about 5' deep, placing all of the dirt on tarps( a lot of dirt)

We now place the hull on the lip of the hole assuring its stable then we burry the hull top with 4"-5" of dirt then burry the windows of the main door and sides leaving only the sliding window open of dirt. With this done we round the remainning dirt to form a more natural contour (not a hump) pack it down good and cover the earth with debris.
    I take a can of camo brown and paint out the area unearthed to prevent glare and easy detection.

Once this hole is finished we return with the preps vacuum sealed and readied then I enter the hole, shovel in hand and a 5 gallon bucket I dig at the floor level a shelf out to place the buckets once cleared of debris. Now we mix the buckets and stack in the spaces .
    I honestly have done enough now I dig with a backhoe and the shelves at the same as the main hole

If money is not an issue and you don't fear being looked in on by the neighbors you can also use a pool liner and plywood to seal the structure and create a hard floor,bench.
    I did this in a low profile spot near a place, where I have a complete ammunition reloading station.

I did this for my families protection, my house space is limited and I felt small children could be endangered by ther own mischievous , or my family in general if a fire started in the home, with no room for an lawn shed this was my solution.
    Happy digging

Sapper John and BTPost like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7