California Monkey Check....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Witch Doctor 01, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

All you northern California Monkeys ok?

AmericanRedoubt1776 likes this.
  2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Was wondering the same although on my last CA trip, nobody even seemed to pause at the earthquakes I felt. I looked it up later that evening and found that there were 16 earthquakes during the past 24 period in that area. They rocked me to sleep all night long...

3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I wonder how @JABECmfg is doing down there?

4. AmericanRedoubt1776

AmericanRedoubt1776 American Redoubt: Idaho-Montana-Wyoming Site Supporter+

Having experienced this brief but big quake (I was awake during it, but we were 75 miles away from the epicenter) Recent Earthquakes for San_Francisco -
    6.0 Quake 2014/08/24 03:20:44 38.220N 122.313W 11.3 7 km ( 4 mi) NW of American Canyon, CA -
    Info for Eq nc72282711 that knocked out the power for only a fraction of a second (enough to flicker the lights), I am glad I follow Nutnfancy's EDC advice: I ALWAYS wear a EDC MountainSmith brand VibeII fanny pack: , , . All it did here was make all of our coffee mugs hanging on hooks below the kitchen cabinets to start swinging back and forth. The subtle aftershocks were not detected by me under-feet, yet the coffee cups kept swinging strongly for several minutes, indicating the baby aftershocks kept the momentum going.

Here is an interesting excerpt from a prepper who was near the epicenter.

"Contributed by a patriot in California’s earthquake-struck Bay Area. As most of you know, the 6.1 Magnitude quake occurred just after the 0800hrs (ZULU) Sunday morning T-Rex/AmRRON radio nets.

Early Sunday Morning I was startled awake, my eyes wide open! I absolutely believed my house was coming apart. I was experiencing the largest earthquake I have ever been through. Was this the big one?? I leaped out of bed and on to the moving floor. Making my way down the hall I passed a window facing south. I noticed in the sky, there were flashes of light. They looked to be either the glow of lightning… or was it explosions? I wasn’t sure. I had no time to think about it. BUT was this more than an earthquake? Was my house shaking from the compressive force of an explosion? Was this an attack? Was this “it”? No time to contemplate, I had to go NOW.

As I reached the middle of the stairs, I hesitated, realizing with all the preparation I had made, I was standing there without my go-bag, weapon, shoes or even pants. Yes, I always keep all those things ready and waiting in a corner of an upstairs room. All that would have been needed is some last minute additions and decisions, like whether I needed shoes or not (which I did). But I didn’t have a minute. I needed to get out NOW. Things were starting to fall off shelves. If only I had kept my go-bag right in the way of my exit path; I could have just scooped everything up on the way out; no time to consider that now. I made a few more steps then as suddenly as it started… it stopped.

I stood in the middle of the stairway. It was over. I glanced out the window. A couple more flashes in the sky and they too stopped. Was that lightning? There had been no thunder. What was that? I slowly walked up the now still stairs. I was annoyed with myself. In my haste to escape an imminently disintegrating house, I left my go-bag and all my quick exit preparations. You would think I would have practiced an earthquake emergency; this is California after all. But I had not. Still annoyed, I glanced over at the corner where I keep my go-bag… it was gone. It was not there!!

I stared for a minute. Now that the pressure was off, I realized that I had moved my go-bag into a closet in preparation for a visit from family, and I had not returned it to its “normal” place. Even if I had gone to the opposite end of the room to collect this gear it would not have been there. In “the heat of battle” I doubt I would have had the time or presence of mind to remember and track down where I had put it.

I stood there pondering all that had just happened. Soon my concentration was broken with the sound of texts and phone calls that were starting to roll in. After an hour of assuring everybody I was OK and sharing of this earthquakes “war stories” I returned to sleep.

Next morning, I went over to start up my radio gear, picking up a few items that had fallen along the way. I mused as I waited for the AmRRON traffic to start, this time I have a story to tell. In the past had never actually transmitted to AmRRON members, I had only listened. Once the predetermined time arrived, I was easily receiving digital communications from all over Idaho and the West Coast. But, as you said, there was no mention of the quake, let alone the flashes of light. So I excitedly made several attempts to make contact. But no station could copy. Even though my equipment was on and working, I could not make the trip. My system just did not have the efficiency it needed; exposing yet another flaw in my system.

So in the end many lessons were learned this weekend as well as notes made for further preparation."

Fair Use Source: T-REX EARTHQUAKE!!! : AMRRON

Brokor and kellory like this.
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I think I'll go see old Shakie Town! Maybe next week. If I don't post again then just assume the worst or maybe being dead in Cali would be a plus, better than being there without a source of "tools".

Brokor likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7