California power outage to prevent fires

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hot diggity, Oct 9, 2019.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

the people of kali are being prepped for the newest form of government...

and the voting system there is set up to keep one party in power so...

I do not see things changing there soon...

in fact... bet the people will continue voting in same or similar pols...

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

only the sheeple will vote the same way... The smart one have already voted with their feet, and left, and the ones that can at least smell the coffee, will be voting with their feet, real soon...

mysterymet and Tempstar like this.
  3. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I have a few cows I need to process and I have been debating doing it myself. I would be curious to know what equipment you use to process your meat.

4. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Gotta ask, what's with the flyswatter and hacksaw on the same hook?

5. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Calif has a Public Utilities Commission that has regulated power and costs for 40 years. Telling utilities yes or no to rate hikes and increased costs, I have to believe this has impacted operations and upgrades over the years helping create the issue.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

All they have to do is to let PG&E adequately clear the growth. They have no alternative but to periodically cut the power until CA pulls it's head out. We's been waiting for ths to happen for decades, so it must be going to happen soon...

Ganado, Mountainman and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Only had one nail. :D

SB21, ghrit and oldawg like this.
  9. TnAndy

Rifle to stun, 10" knife to cut throat to bleed out, big heavy duty gambrel to hang from tractor front end loader to 'field strip'. Haul from pasture to my shop drive where I have water hose to wash carcass. Skin/gut it there. Use knife to skin, a wood working sawsall to remove hooves at first joint, saw thru pelvic arch, breast bone, remove head, and split the carcass into halves sawing down the spine center, then I haul the halves (still on the gambrel) up to the house. Made a big wood table I can lay the halves on out in the driveway, further cut the halves in half to separate front and hind quarters. I use a 20" bone saw + knife for that. Have to quarter them, can't handle a 400lb side. Shift the quarters to a large utility kinda cart one at a time, roll thru the garage to the meat room on the back of the garage, and hang each quarter on hooks mounted in the ceiling of the cooler.

When I start working them up, I roll that cart under one of the quarters, today, for example, started with one front quarter, and use the bone saw/knife to remove the front chuck section from the quarter between 5/6 rib, let it down on the cart, roll out in the room (now down to about 100lb or so) and slide over onto a stainless steel work table to work it on down.....just keep going with the rest of it.

You can get by with pretty minimal equipment.....if you pick your weather right, you could even get by without a walk-in cooler, but I like to be independent of the weather, which a cooler allows you to do. The meat room I set up on the back of the garage let me have nice deep commercial sink+ hot water for keeping everything clean, I added a small bandsaw later so I could cut things like bone-in chops/steaks. Plastic meat lugs are handy....use a 15x20x5" deep Rubbermaid type, with lids, I think we have around 10 of them.

Cutting on that chuck section this morning so far has yielded a full lug of what will be hamburger, (lug holds about 30lbs of cubed meat) about 1/2 lug of what will be dog food (the more gristle cuts and what has dried out on the outside of the carcass or looks scrappy, we put into dog food....can it up in quart jars. Beef this size will probably yield 50 quarts or so for them). Also packaged up a large brisket section for BBQ, one chuck roast, with several more still to work up. The rib section is still hanging that will yield short ribs, more hamburger trimming, and the ribeye section for steaks. That will complete that quarter.

You'll need a grinder....mine is a #22 size, 2hp, Weston....does a good job. You many also want a vacuum sealer. Mine is a Weston Pro 3000.....500 buck sealer, but if you're gonna do this, don't cheap out with the Walmart Seal-a-meal versions......they don't last.

10. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

We did things a little bit differently at my family's small meat processing plant, but the end result was the same...good eats!
    I'm assuming that you are not state inspected.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  11. TnAndy

No inspection because it's only for us.....I don't sell or process for anyone else.

12. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Oxygen-dependent man dies 12 minutes after PG&E cuts power to his home

some folks just never get the memo...

A Northern California man dependent on an oxygen supply died Wednesday, shortly after power cuts by Pacific Gas and Electric Co. affected his home, fire officials said Friday.

Robert Mardis, 67, died roughly 12 minutes after PG&E cut power to his home and the surrounding area. An autopsy report concluded the man died of severe coronary artery atherosclerosis, according to the Sacramento Bee.

Fire personnel responded to a call around 3:40 a.m. and found Mardis unresponsive on the floor of his home, according to El Dorado County Interim Fire Chief Lloyd Ogan. He was found wearing a nasal cannula, used to deliver oxygen to the nose, and was hooked up to a PPAP machine for that purpose. Mardis' family told Fox 40 he couldn’t reach his battery-powered tank in time.

13. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Our place was state inspected. My Father asked the inspector what he would have to do to get a rating of 100, and the inspector told him that he never would, even if he (the inspector ) had to shit on the floor. He claimed that giving a perfect rating would ensure a follow-up inspection from his boss, and maybe his boss's boss.

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It would be instructive to know if the powco had been advised of his needs (which should have been done) and if the outage was announced (as I think it might have been.) In these parts, if the power goes out, welfare checks are supposed to be carried out. Dunno if they do, but they are supposed to.
    It would also be interesting to know who made the call at 0340, and how that 12 minutes was arrived at.
    All that aside, it's a damn shame the outage resulted in an unnecessary death. RIP Bob.

GOG likes this.
  15. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Thank you sir!

16. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Here we go again!

17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of folks...

18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7