Cameras-Everywhere Culture, Science Fiction Becomes Reality

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Yard Dart, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

In a cameras-everywhere culture, science fiction becomes reality - LA Times

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The article is correct, technology is impossible to stop. What I question is why and when people will start questioning this technology. I find it alarming that people allow computers and technology to run so many aspects of their life. I was in an Apple store this weekend. I was a very uncomfortable experience. The place was packed, everyone concentrating on their device and checking out the latest. Looking at the shelves I noticed there were 2 different drones. Then I started checking the other gadgets. They actually had a thermostat thing that will learn your behaviors and regulate itself (the sales guy explained it better) Not only can you turn up your thermostat on your way home from work but it will sort of monitor you in your home. Bottom-line the sales guy and I didn't seem to agree on the whole technology issue. He seemed to think the more the better and I tried to explain that it was quite stalkerish and quite over stepping. I don't know why people would allow some much stuff in their homes. I could never give up that much of my privacy plus wouldn't all that stuff cause beams or radiation something to be more concentrated in your home?

Mindgrinder, Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  3. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Technology will stop shortly after everyone who matters is chipped, few are gainfully employed, global government is in place, war is mechanized drones and the 1-world religion (Earth Worship) has it's follower frothing at the mouth about man made climate change and the need for population reduction. Won't be much longer at this pace.

4. Mindgrinder

Even BC Civil Liberties Association is in favor of bringing the Olympic camera network back.
    (This is the same organization that helped get the cams removed after the party doing a 360)

The Gazette Op-Ed: Where Are the Olympic Street Cams When We Need Them? | BC Civil Liberties Association

"
    It is time to consider getting an expanded high-definition CCTV camera system back on the main streets and in public areas of Vancouver including those in the DTES. If necessary, there could be an agreement on the use of the system for crime-in-progress surveillance and on access to the data. But the camera data must be available to the police before and during major public gatherings and after a crime has been committed.

Finally, it is time to enact and enforce regulations that forbid the use of masks and disguises during public gatherings and demonstrations. We can’t afford to have “privacy in public spaces”. Isn’t this an oxymoron?

We need to encourage the peaceful gatherings that we had during the Olympics and Expo 86 but discourage the wanton violence of the 2011 Riot. If people know the cameras are in place, their behavior will change. Vandalism is only fun when you can get away with it.
    "

Bullocks.

Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  5. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one resisting this stuff. I am not anti-tech by any stretch of the imagination but at the same time, I enjoy independent thought and individualism. A perfect example is my 17 yo nephew who is unable to find his way around the city he has lived in his whole life without the use of a phone app. He cant tell you where anything is or how to get to it and when I ask him if he know where we are, he looks at his phone. The Wife was nagging me again about wifi and other gadgets she wants in the home and all I could say was that I didnt want to turn our home into a cell-tower. She has no idea what I am talking about.

6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I think we all feel pretty similar.... But the truth is there are few places that don't have towers
    AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.

That will tell you the locations of towers in your area... Use your neighbors address if you don't want to use yours
    [emoji15]

I worked with some people on a large electrical project and their two biggest concerns were
    1) how do we make it cost effect to run lines out to rural areas for equal access (they never even considered that people in rural area might not want WiFi or Internet access)

2) how many fiber optic cables could the towers carry and not endangered the power grid safety.

FYI most power pole and utility lines are used by mega ISP's for convenience so that they don't have to pay for right of way access... Then they pay the power Company for the right to lease their access and the land owner gets nothing.

So if any of you get into condemnation for a power line easement talk to I know a few tricks to get you ongoing income. FYI if a portion of your property is condemned you can't do anything about it accept collect as much as you can. Gotta know where to fight your battles.... Towers are similar but different

Mindgrinder likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Ganado Explain what Towers have to do with FiberOptic Cables? Also, very few Rural, and Remote Cellular Sites are connected by Copper Connections, as microwave connections are much cheaper and require no Easements....

Mindgrinder likes this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I'm not sure what you are asking so if I misunderstood bear with me....

Cell phone tower (we will call it that for ease of use) have multi functions... Depending on the tower they can have up to 30 dishes that have cellular, Internet, microwave and occasionally satellite... Depends on the tower the signal either transmits to another tower or goes to cables in the fiber optic cables In the ground. Then to homes and businesses

Electric towers... Some of the big power transmission companies allow bulk providers of wireless and Internet communications to put fiber optics on the towers as it's cheaper than burying them.

Hope that answers your question

9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Ganado Where in the towers are these fibo strung Top is lightning arrester cables two normally , 3 phase is next down & 3 wires in a quad if above 1000KVA .
    Then there could be a grounding link for under the towers for earth based wire touches.
    Sloth

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

You got me I'm not that technical.... I saw some about half down in some places but they did talk about thru the middle whatever that means... And the engineer 's discussed how much insulation was needed..... It takes alot to get it done. And the tower load specs were way over head but that wasn't why they hired me.

11. Cruisin Sloth

Your not the one who is the leak detector of insulator failures . They don't last long but have hot referral service to funeral homes .;)

@Ganado hughes 500D , now MD fixing the quad separator .

Gives "High Time" a new meaning !!

And a gent who will explain the madness :

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Ganado likes this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Huh? @sloth
    ... Lol TXS for update sloth.... They use chopper so DE icing lines as well... Who knew hovering could keep the ice off.....

Kinda scary even with all that safety stuff it's still a short term job

13. Mindgrinder

http://www.bbcmag.com/2013mags/mar-apr/BBC_Mar13_WhyFiber.pdf

"
    In North America, cell site connectivity traditionally was supplied by T-1 circuits delivered over copper phone wiring. But as data traffic climbs, wireless carriers are finding that copper connections are no longer adequate. Another concern is that all major U.S. wireless carriers have begun to or plan to deploy 4G networks based on LTE technology, and copper connections generally are inadequate to support LTE except over relatively short distances – and even that requires considerable kludging. Take all these factors into consideration, and it’s easy to see why network operators are undertaking major initiatives to bring fiber to North America’s estimated 300,000 cell sites. Estimates of the number of cell sites that currently have fiber vary from one analyst firm to another. According to Heavy Reading, about 40 percent of U.S. cell sites had fiber backhaul as of year-end 2012, with 50 percent served by copper and 10 percent with microwave. Infonetics Research sees wider availability of fiber, estimating that more than half (56 percent) of North American cell sites in 2012 had fiber, with 30 percent fed by copper and 14 percent fed by microwave. (Microwave, like fiber, has seen a boom in recent years as it can be quickly installed and can support higher data rates than copper for limited distances.) Most people agree fiber-to-the-cell-site deployments haven’t occurred at the same pace nationwide. Infonetics estimates that 90 percent of cell sites in major cities are now fiber-fed – which suggests the percentage of fiber-fed cell sites in rural areas is considerably lower.
    "

Ganado likes this.
  14. BTPost

Fiber is RARELY strung on Powerpoles, except in the CableTv and Wired ISP industries.... TELCO Fiber is usually done in below Ground installations. In Cities older Copper Lines are being pulled out of underground Conduits and replaced with Fiber, which give a bandwidth increase on the order of 500 to 1000 times. The Cross Country Microwave Systems for Telco, have mostly been replaced by Longhaul Fiber, that is underground and follows Both Railroad Right of Ways, Interstate Roadways, and Power Transmisson Right of Ways. So, I do not see the connection between Fiber and Towers, especially Cellular Towers. Coax Cables are the Industry Standard for CableTv with Fiber, slowly making inroads, as coax gets replaced, due to bandwidth limitations.

15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I respect your opinions BTPost and.... They do string on 500 kv lines as well 230kv..... Not I all areas but they do use powerlines where they can

16. Cruisin Sloth

They put Fiber up here in the island . Telus has one going beside me. Im still on string & can here.

Tully Mars, Mindgrinder and Ganado like this.
  17. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Fake Cell Phone Towers Could Be Intercepting Your Calls

While field-testing its secure Android handset, the CryptoPhone 500, the firm came across the existence of a series of fake base stations along the Eastern seaboard of the US. Les Goldsmith, the CEO of ESD America, told the US publication Popular Science that he found 17 mobile phone towers across the U.S. that forces the phone to backdown to an easy-to-break 2G connection and then switches off the encryption.
    "What we find suspicious is that a lot of these interceptors are right on top of U.S. military bases. So we begin to wonder – are some of them U.S. government interceptors? Or are some of them Chinese interceptors?" he says.

18. BTPost

Post a picture of what you think is a 230KV Line with Fiber strung from Tower to Tower.... It makes NO Sense to do that.... Fiber requires Repeaters every 10-20Km and Power Transmission Lines rarely have Switch Stations that close together. Much more likely, is that any Fiber in that Right of Way would be buried along side the Service Road.

Any Fiber that would be run on a Local Power Distribution System is very Likely to be Power Control System Fiber used for Distribution System Control from the Power Dispatch Center of the Utility. Utilities like to own and operate ALL their own Control Systems, and fiber now is the cheapest way to do that. They put in fiber and then wanted to use the excess Bandwidth to market their Internet over PowerLines scheme, from the last Distribution sub-Station to the Home, where they only had to bypass the Pole Mounted Transformers. HOWEVER, The FCC shut them down, when they could NOT control Rf interference generated by those local Power Distribution Lines, to local Radio Receivers.

19. Mindgrinder

This post is mostly accurate....with the exception that more than 1/2 of all cell towers ARE fiber fed....you just can't run a 4G/LTE cell service and terminate on copper. Period.
    FTTP (fiber to the prem) is increasingly being rolled out and this is predominantly done with fiber strung right beside coax and telco pairs on power poles. Splicing fiber is quite easy these days BT. The hybrid/fiber coax network of cable cos is becoming legacy infrastructure quite quickly.
    This is hybrid:
    [​IMG]
    When it's fib it'll be more like 100/100 - 1000/1000.

20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

1. CraftyMofo
  2. oil pan 4
  3. Ganado
  4. Dunerunner
  5. HK_User
  6. Motomom34
  7. Motomom34
  8. Dont
  9. Motomom34
  10. BelBol