Cameras-Everywhere Culture, Science Fiction Becomes Reality

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Yard Dart, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

60-80 KM actually...but you are right, long haul will be in conduits and buried. "usually".

Google Fiber

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Again, which of the conductors do you think are the Fiber Run, on that Tower in the pictures? I am willing to bet that the Fiber is buried I a trench along side the Service Road, and that Fiber will only be carrying Power Distribution Control System Data, not telco, or any other information. The Dalls Sending Substation Complex is where more than 75% of the BPA Generated Power is Switched, and also where the Sending SubStation, for the 1.5MV DC Line that feeds to Kommiefornia starts. One of BPA's Main Power Control Stations is located there.

Georgia_Boy likes this.
  3. Mindgrinder

I agree. Prolly trenched in that plan but disagree about the data. Telco/Cableco try to piggyback in any and all conduits that are getting laid....google will buy dark fiber strands at top dollar too.

4. BTPost

Power Utility Fiber rarely goes where Telco and Data Fiber needs to go, as their major subStations aren't in or near large population Centers. Utilities rarely allow other users on their Comm Links. Just like Railroads rarely allow that either.... Railroads and Utilities do lease out routes on their Right of Ways, but ALWAYS in separate Conduits or trenches.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Based on old knowledge, that is due to possibility of hacking. Very real concern, regardless of electrons in wire or photons in fiber. It will surprise me a bit if fiber does go up on the high lines, even for powco controls and data.

Slightly off to the side, I've recently seen fiber on local power poles. In fact, the fiber is up here on the hill (has been for over a year) just not connected to anything on either end. Down in VA where I lived before migrating, the fiber was going in underground, and just before I pulled out the cable company was saturating the area with ads to switch from whatever you had to cable TV with all the bells and whistles. Up here, it is (so they say) to be cable TV also, but nothing has come of it yet. FWIW, the local power company is also one of the providers of cable services so renting pole space is not a concern.

Ganado, Tully Mars and Mindgrinder like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

BTPost.... Respectfully If you don't like my posts I'm OK if you want to delete them. I cannot post pics I don't have. And I don't need to justify my position. Do your own research

I'm not sure what your argument is about switching stations or why it applies here *scratches head* but all fiber come off the poles and goes underground before it hits the switching station. Then the switch box is located on the utility owned property outside the security fence. One cable of fiber can service many many large customers like Google and other large consumers....

Large utility companies do have their own line of site microwave communications that is a dedicated secure system. However they do allow leasing of space on these towers under very specific contracts and conditions....
    I don't know about railroads....

As far as remote locations... There is a big push going on with lots of federal money involved that is pushing for public Internet access in remote locations... His means fiber on power and telephone poles where it is too expensive to bury

7. BTPost

I have NO INTEREST in Deleting ANYTHING, as a MOD that is NOT what I do..... What I do have Interest in is getting Correct Information posted on subjects I have Knowledge about. This subject I have considerable Knowledge about, having worked with Fiber, Copper, and Microwave, in the Comm Business, for decades. I have a considerable Knowledge Base in Fiber, in that I was involved in Provisioning OC-92 MultiMode Fiber in both UnderSea, and OverLand Links back in the previous decade. This shows in that as MG noted, that Fiber Repeaters are now considerably farther apart, NOW, that they were when I was active with that medium.

RailRoads, and Telcos have mostly dropped their OverLand Long Haul Microwave Systems, for Fiber Links as Fiber gives Significant Bandwidth Increases, and significant lower Operational Costs per Mile. Fiber also is basically EMP, Carrington Effect, and RF Interference Proof, when the Repeater Sites are built to .MIL &.GOV Specs. If one watches, when traveling on the Interstate Highways, and Railroads, it is easy to spot these Fiber Repeater Sites, as they are mostly the Same Design. A Brick Faced building with NO Windows, One BIG STEEL Door, about 50YDS off the side of the Right of Way. The ALL have a Backup Power Generator, next to the building, Air Exchanged AC with non-conductive Below Ground connections to the Interior Components, and NO Tower or Antennas anywhere Near the Buildings. The Buildings are designed with a complete Copper Mesh Interior Walls, and the Doors are of Special Design, similar to those used in Large Faraday Cages, with Double Copper Gasketing. The Backup Power Feeds use Capacitively Coupled, to bring in that Power, without breaching, the Faraday Shielding. The Grounded Shielding of the Fiber that runs, into and out of the Buildings, never Breaches that Faraday Shield, and comes Vertical thru the floor, from minimum 4 ft below Floor Grade. Running Fiber above Ground, does NOT meet the .MIL and .GOV Installation Specs, and leaves the Fiber more susceptible to outside influences, and Damage from the elements.

Georgia_Boy, kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Ok then.... So how long have you been away from this industry?

I'm asking cuz my involvement has been fairly recent... And I am about done getting raged at... Maybe you don't mean it that way but you are questioning my integrity in a public forum on a subject I will not get technical about and I sent you a pm to try and resolve this so you can relax.

I'm going to attribute this as you having a bad day or week even.... And as moderator I expect more from you than this.... I am not the first person you have raged at into last week...

I have great respect for you, your knowledge, your abilities and your thinking process so I don't wish to alienate you. And if this continues you will have alienated me. Please do me the courtesy of answering or at least reading my private msg so we can resolve this and not continue to argue over a lack of data or a misunderstanding.... Not sure which this is.

Motomom34 and kellory like this.
  9. Mindgrinder

Hey...i just had a thought....this thread is aboot cameras everywhere....not fiber everywhere.
    Although...u sure could run a lot of camera feeds on 1 strand of fiber....

Just sayin'

Brokor, Yard Dart, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  10. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

First, I do not do this for a living but I did work for Time Warner Cable for 9 years in IT until April of last year.
    Second, I don't even know where the nearest Holiday Inn Express is so obviously I didn't stay there last night.
    That having been said, I read the vast majority of the information in the links that @Ganado posted and this is what this layman was able to get from it.

1 - They do in fact run fiber from long haul, high (and very high and ultra high) voltage towers, like @Ganado said.
    2 - It clearly states in both of those links that the fiber is used for control systems communication and for "instant" communication between the control station and linemen/women, like @BTPost said.

@Ganado - Personally, I think you made your point and were technically correct on the fact that they do run fiber on those lines.
    @BTPost - You were also correct in your assertion of what that fiber is strung for.
    @Mindgrinder - You are closer to this on the ISP/Telco side than I was and more recently that @BTPost has been but coupled with my networking experience you are absolutely spot on with distances depending on single/multi-mode and laser vs. led. I don't think you were looking for validation though. ;)

@BTPost - You are a treasure trove of knowledge, no doubt about it. In some subjects, I wouldn't even think of doubting you (energetics is one...chemistry does not change). In some subjects I "trust but verify" and you are right far more often than you are mistaken (radio/FCC stuff...some things have changed but very little and you seem to have your finger on the pulse so you stay in the loop). Some things, like the above however, well depending on how recently you were involved, things have changed a LOT. That isn't a slam or a ding, it's just the facts. Take the dial-up -> ISDN -> DSL -> High Speed Cable -> Fiber to the curb shift. That has taken less than 15 years and it is light years different between the beginning and the end. Distances have changed. Like @Mindgrinder said, splicing fiber now is trivial (single strand...a bundle is...well it's still a lot of work but not as "complicated" as it used to be, just time consuming). That used to take tons of practice and cost upwards of $50 per splice. Now it's cut, throw the ends into port A1 and A2, clamp down, wait 30 seconds, put the ends in ports B1 and B2, Put the connector in slot C1, push a button and wait for it to pop out a spliced piece of cable. Seriously, it's a no brainer. I do think you are splitting hairs and looking to nit pick on this one, with all the respect in the world. Just asking, did you actually READ (not just look for fiber in the pictures) the info in the links @Ganado posted? It was pretty clear that whether they were in the stock footage pictures or not, they were running fiber on/between those towers. Quote from the second link:
    "A fiber optic cable is sometimes strung on the transmission towers below the conductor."

@Ganado - You have been on a posting tare recently. Not a bad thing and new blood is AWESOME! That having been said, unless you lurked for a long time it takes a while to get the read of a place. @BTPost is a good guy with strong opinions and just like you doesn't enjoy being questioned in an area he feels knowledgeable in. I've personally gotten a lot out of the things you post (but I think you type too fast for spell check to keep up or use your phone/tablet a lot ;) ) so I'm not calling you out. Everybody can be wrong but nobody likes it when it happens and most of us get prickly when it does.

I do think you both made your point and you are both at least partially correct.

BTW - TWC runs fiber above ground, on telephone poles and all the way to the neighborhood demarc where it switches to coax (copper) to the house in the vast majority of their markets. There are only a couple of TWC locations (and those are beta right now) that run fiber to the house. There is a whole host of changes needed in the infrastructure to support that, not the least of which is a REALLY expensive piece of equipment hanging on the outside of the house (or in a structured wiring cabinet inside) to break it back down into usable infrastructure inside the house. TVs, cable boxes, internet "modems", high speed routers and heaven forbid phones on the wall can't do a thing with that fiber. The cost is coming down but there's a reason for that big green utility box at the entrance to your neighborhood converting the signal on the fiber to copper that is run to the house. $$$

If things have changed in the last year, I have no doubt that @Mindgrinder will correct me. I'll just go ahead and stand corrected now. :D

11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Great post @DarkLight and spot on, in all regards!!

Motomom34, kellory, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  12. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Fire them both !!
    Get over it ,
    OK page two
    shake & bedone .
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I read it as to different times & eras .
    Who-da-thunk of having fiber optics in cars , LIN.LAN,PAM SYM and many others . It will work into the aerospace area , but the crap is so flaky we would be having raining airships.
    I do this junk .

Sloth
    Edit Add , Glad all took it as a joke , as it was meant to Be.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    kellory, Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

It's called an IMSI catcher or stingray. A fake cell phone tower that sends your cell phone signal to it rather than a real cell phone tower, suspected criminals and innocent citizens alike, to pinpoint their location. The FBI has bent over backwards to keep their public awareness secret. The provisions required by local and state police are straight out of a George Orwell Novel.

A dystopian tug of war caused the FBI to have cases thrown out to protect the technology. 2012 Buffalo, New York, Judge Patrick H. NeMoyer detailed, against the FBI’s orders, how a deal was struck between the FBI and The Erie County Sheriff’s Office to drop criminal charges rather than reveal "any information concerning the cell site simulator or its use."

Blocking the current 2g stingray technology requires you to find the Device Information in your phone known as WCDMA Preffered. Change that to WCDMA only.

It’s open season on our privacy and 4th Amendment rights and we are all paying for it.

Ganado, Motomom34 and Mindgrinder like this.
  14. BTPost

These Devices are Illegal for ANY State, or Local, Law Enforcement entity to operate, inside US Territory, PERIOD. ANY use of these devices by such Agencies, is a Federal Felony, because it is a Violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as Amended. These Devices ARE RF Emitters, and as such, the use of these devices, REQUIRES an FCC Station License issued under provisions of the Communications Act of 1934, as Amended, and CFR47 (FCC Rules and Regulations) All State and Local Government Entities that use ANY RF Devices, (Radios, RF Data Links, etc) are Licensed under the provisions of CFR47Part90. In that Part the Commission lists the Frequencies and Modulations allowed for Licensees to chose from when applying for Station Licenses to operate their Radio, RF Data Services, Police Radars, Etc. NOWHERE in that list of Frequencies, are the Frequencies for Cellular and PCS listed. Therefore these Agencies can NOT Apply for, or Receive an FCC Station License to operate one of these Devices. Again, operation of these devices, absent a valid FCC Station License, is a Federal Felony, and subject to 5 years Federal Incarceration, and a $350KUS fine for EACH, and EVERY Day, such a Device is operated. ANY Information or Data gained thru the use of these devices, by UnLicensed Operators, is "Fruit of the Poisonous Tree" and can NOT be used in a US Court of Law, OR in ANY Affidavit, submitted to ANY Court of LAW, for a Warrant, of ANY Kind. Can you imagine how many Cases, could be overturned, and Law Enforcement Personnel, Indicted for PERJURY, should the FACTS, of the USE of such devices, came to a Judge, in ANY Court of Law?

It should be NOTED, that the above, does NOT apply to any Federal Agency. They are NOT subject to the FCC and it's Rules and Regulations. Their Radio and RF Emitter Authority, comes thru the "Office of Science & Technology" in the WhiteHouse.

I became aware of these devices back in 2000, and wondered how they could be being USED, by such Agencies.... I called an Old Friend, who at the time was an Commission Enforcement LawDog, "Off the Record" and the Answer I got back via "Hand written response, via USPS First Class Mail" was a simple One Sentence Response. "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" How can this type of thing be happening in the USA under the Rule of LAW, you ask? Simple, There is NO ONE watching these Agencies, by Inspecting them, and their Radio Operations, since ALGORE gutted the FCC Field Operation Staff, back in the Mid 90s. 50% of the field Agents were ReTIRED, Laid Off, RIF'ed, or Fired. Before this, each of these Agencies were REQUIRED to have their Equipment CERTIFIED, and Inspected, by Licensed Technical Folks, once a Year, and recorded in the Station Maintenance LOG, and those RECORDS were Subject to FCC Inspection, on Demand, and a minimum of BiAnnual. since the ALGORE BloodLetting, that REQUIREMENT was eliminated, and NOW, they only get an FCC Inspection, IF and ONLY IF, there is a Formal Complaint filed against the Agency's Station License. In many cases these Agencies, when Inspected, are found to have Expired Station Licenses (Granted for Five Years) because since NO ONE is looking,it is forgotten, and not Renewed upon expiration. Which is ALSO a Federal Felony. Now there is a Proposal by the Commission to get rid 90% of the Field Operations Personnel, that are still working, and create a TaskForce, run out of HQ, to do ANY and ALL work, done by the Field Operations Folks. Political BS 100%, and how to Politicize, and ruin a Perfectly Good Working Federal Agency, in two decades.

Mindgrinder and Brokor like this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Slightly to the side, it is an affirmative defense to challenge police radar arrests by demanding the license and calibration records of the radar guns used to clock you on the roads. Without those records, the arrest is voided and records expunged. You are still out the costs associated with appearance, but you might get a judge to see you compensated in some fashion.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  16. BTPost

Yup, Absolutely... No License, or Calibration Records, Illegal Operation, and "Fruit of the Poisonous Tree"

Mindgrinder likes this.
  17. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Had a Friend say "You need this new device", nope all I need is peace and quiet. Cell phone is for my peace of mind not others so it is turned off at times.

I have to dodge the Phone Zombies as they risk life and limb to be one of the Jones.

oldawg, Cruisin Sloth and Motomom34 like this.
  18. Mindgrinder

Yesterday I was fixing a work order for a customer who was getting fiber installed in a new apt building in Calgary. Our sales rep who took the call screwed it up not realizing it was a fiber building and booked it as a "regular" install for tv/internet/phone slated to take 45 minutes. The customer chatted in and asked me to change the install date which prompted me to catch the error. After speaking with our FTTP team I had to rebook for 3 WEEKS later into a 4-6 hour install time window. It's going to cost the company $400-$600 (2 man crew) to complete an install that will generate $120/month revenue compared to $50 (1 man 45 minutes) to do the same job on straight coax. I also took the opportunity to request our most recent technical docs which I should have next week. Won't be able to post them as resources (company stuff) but I will be able to share exactly how we're doing it with anyone who is interested. The termination point for the customer is a netgear fiber router and the amount of customers we have with this level of service is so small that only a handful of techs are trained to troubleshoot it. (also requested the training docs so I can be the only 1 in my department who can TS it :)) It looks much easier to troubleshoot as it's either "working" or "not working". Pwr cyc router...back online? Book fiber tech. Can't exactly ask customers to get their hands in the strand and start screwing around with it. I also bumped into a couple friends from our fiber planning dept in the smoke area and asked them if we do much long haul aerial fiber yet and they confirmed "some" but that trenching is still widely preferred when possible. They told me the longest aerial run they could think of was done for the 2010 Olympics from Vancouver to Whistler alongside electric transmission lines that are moutainside mounted....hence no trenching. They were unable to tell me if the repeaters have been swapped out since then with newer tech but said "probably".

Just sharin....
    @DarkLight
    @BTPost
    @Ganado

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2015
    DarkLight and Ganado like this.
  19. BTPost

Just a NOTE, here: With above Ground Fiber, there is the Possibility, for Carrington Effect, AND EMP Damage occurring, due to the Copper Power Wires bundled in with the Actual Fiber Strands, Inside the Cable. that power the In-Line Repeaters, that help keep the Jitter, below Spec Levels, in between Building sited Repeater/Regeneration Sites, along the Long Haul Fiber Runs. This type of Fiber Cable construction is common in UnderSea Fiber Cables. Buried Fiber, and UnderSea Cables, do NOT have this issue because the Earth and SeaWater causing these Effects, not to be Significant, due to them not penetrating those mediums, to any depth.

DarkLight and Mindgrinder like this.
  20. Mindgrinder

Very true....I remember when I first got into broadband and was so excited about the "emerging" tech of doing IP over the copper in power lines....until I learned aboot SNR and jitter. The sinking feeling was like watching my favorite prize tomato plant die.

1. CraftyMofo
  2. oil pan 4
  3. Ganado
  4. Dunerunner
  5. HK_User
  6. Motomom34
  7. Motomom34
  8. Dont
  9. Motomom34
  10. BelBol
  11. Bishop
  12. Yard Dart