Camouflaging rifles, etc.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by dragonfly, Jul 20, 2010.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I now have some 16-18 different shotguns, and rifles that I want to camo...BUT, I did an old wood SKS' stock, a nylon stock with a pistol grip, and an old BB gun my son has had for 12 years...
    I sprayed the items ( after a thorough cleaning) with the Krylon fusion camo paint, in tan/sand. Then, I overlayed a dry weed with long narrow grassy blades, spraying the dark brown paint over the sand/tan, to give the breakup effect. On those 3 things, the paints worked well, and look ok, as I was aiming for the same basic colors on my place up north, We have dark colored soils, and white to light tan, colored "snow grass". Kinda looks like a Zebra, effect.
    All in all I was satisfied with doing those, as "tests".
    But, Now I am considering doing a 3 color camo. I need to add some green to the same effect. We have mostly Juniper trees, which vary from season from light (lime) green to dark ( forest) greens....But the trunks and branches are a silvery-gray-white, affair! This is NOT as easy as it looks!
    I want to do my 2- .50 muzzle loaders which are black, 3 shotguns which are black, 2-SKS which are standard: wood/metal, and the same for 3-Moison Nagant rifles, and several .22's.
    Any suggestions?
    I can cut any stencils I'd need, but the spraying of 3-4 colors is NOT anything I have attempted and have no knowledge about.
    I searched a lot on sveral internet sites (like all night long!) and found all kinds of things, mostly BIZARRE!
    A few with the "digital" camo. But, I want the "OLD STYLE" "woodland" camo. design....
    Suggestions?
    Thanks all!
    Bill

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Glad you brought this up. It's easier than you give yourself credit for.

First, you will need to practice on a cardboard sheet (an unfolded box).
    Second, cut out a few "melted chunks of jello" stencils -using a piece of tough, lightly laminated construction paper (the kind with the glossy look).
    Third, hold the spray can away from the stencils so that the compressed air of the can does not move the stencil. Alternatively, you can use a piece of double-backed masking tape or painters tape (just fold a single piece over itself) on the back of the stencil to hold it in place.

Hints: Lay down your darkest color FIRST -base color. Follow with the lightest color, then finish with the intermediate color, overlapping the two patterns slightly. Turn your patterns frequently, don't keep them in same orientation.

Use light strokes. Do not attempt to add too much light color -keep it sparse and as random as possible. The image below is a basic camo job done on a Henry .22 I have. I did not pay particular attention to any great detail -I just needed to cover the gun in a random pattern to break up its man-made form. Colors are for fall in case you are wondering.
    [​IMG]
    henry2.

3. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Krylon works. Just hit it with some tan and od in random patterns. AZ is pretty easy compared to most places back East where the seasons change and so do the elements of camo.

If you don't like it, acetone takes it off metal. Be careful with your plastics or other synthetic parts. Acetone may eat them.

If you can find it, my snipers always used HS Camo removable spray paint. It comes off a lot easier and you can change with the environment. I have a few cans that I grabbed when it was available. I don't think they make it anymore.

If you decide to go more permanent, I am about to give this guy a try:
    GENERAL INFO
    I will post when it's done.

4. Brokor

Wow, their prices are fantastic! I have some doubts to shipping my guns though...

Never heard of that paint you described. Would be nice to get a hold on some.

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

One tip.......
    Either use the same brand/type of paint for all colors, or test different types of paint on scrap to see if they are compatible. Some paints will craze or bubble if sprayed over certain others.
    For synthetic stocks, Rustoleum and Krylon make "Paint For Plastics" as well as "Primer For Plastics". It can still scrape off of high-wear areas, but adheres very well compared to regular spraypaints.

6. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Monkey++

You could always go for a subdued "Hello Kitty" look.
    Hello-Kitty-AR-15.

7. Seawolf1090

Sheesh..... that Gawd-Aweful grip must mean it's the "California Model"......

Maybe the owner can find some pink&orange "Barbie Camo" to go with it...... b::

8. -06

-06 Monkey+++

I use "bowflauge" removable paint on mine. Plasticote is the best sticking paint available IMO. I use it on the crown of the bores and bolts where wear is worst. Camo is super but just don't lay your rifle down in the leaves without noting carefully where it is. Have never used "patterns" but only lightly obscure the "shine" of it using different colors.

9. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Think this is the first time I've quoted myself ^ :)

My carbine has been sent off to Mac in the above link. The order is in and paid up. Price was $195 for a complete refinishing of the carbine inside and out including the Larue scope mount and return shipping to my house. I will start a new thread when I get it back, both to highlight that carbine and show off the new finish.

So far, it has been a good experience. Great communication from Mac. He was very helpful in answering all my questions.

10. Brokor

That's awesome, Al. I can't wait to see the rifle when you get it back ;) It might be a much better option than a Duracoat route.

11. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I did a few...and when I can find a decent enough background, I'll photograph them and post! I ran out of paint really fast! Krylon seems to work pretty well! I made "templates" or "stencils" from notebook dividers ( not the best materials) but they get soggy rellay quick and due to the nature of the patterns, it clogs up. I tried the sand/tan first as a base coat on a couple, and found it does work out MUCH better to use the darker colors first, as a base coat! I read the posts really quick, but returned and re-read BROKOR's...
    Yup,.... he hit it right on the nose! It's easier to lay down lighter colors over the dark base. All in all I'm pretty happy with my results, and can't wait to go get 3 more cans of each of the tan/sand, dark brown and OD green!
    Ever seen a Moison-Nagant rifle entirely painted OD? How about a scoped SKS? I have to say this, they look like Mattel toys! Except for the weight!
    I'll try to get some before and after pics! I love this JOB!
    It's NOT just a JOB,.... it's an ADVENTURE...!!!!
    I think I have found a whole new HOBBY!
    Now, If only those paints will hold up to wear and tear!

12. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

They won't. That is the advantage to krylon. A new coat is less than $5 away ;)

13. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

S'ok...I painted my van with left over paints I boxed together with some old elastomeric roof coating! So far, so good! Even the monsoon rains haven't washed it off! I was amazed at how well a roller and brush can do on a really big van! ( I had to paint it....it got all scratched up with the juniper trees I'd ran over trying to get in and out up north! Looked nasty with all those green and brown stripes on the white!) I wonder how that elastomeric would work on rifles and shotguns! Maybe something there......it's flexible!

14. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I bet you won't..... [stirpot]

[peep]

15. retrieverhunter

retrieverhunter Monkey+

Here is a little camo on my new rifle.
    Picture 718.

16. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Wow that really sticks out there! Is that "Blaze Orange"? Beats having to wear a vest! Mine are very subdued, color wise.....made to blend into the area up north where I had soil, tree, and bark samples from....I started off with tan then found that it was best to go with the earth colors and add grass and leaf patterns afterwards...

17. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

camo on rifles, etc....

Here's a few photos of my first attempts to camo different rifles, shotguns, etc., and using different techniques.
    camo rifles+ 001. camo rifles+ 002. camo rifles+ 003. camo rifles+ 004. camo rifles+ 005. camo rifles+ 006. camo rifles+ 007. camo rifles+ 008.

18. Seawolf1090

I keep mine simple - brown over OD.... just break up the outline.

My Bushmaster M17S "Bushpup" and CETME rifles.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have my Remington 870 HD Shotgun done the same way too.

19. Brokor

Mr. Dragonfly -I am impressed! I like the grass design you went with, too! (only suggestion, might want to try the green as a base on one rifle to see how it looks).

Sea pretty much is in the same state of mind as me, although I am leaning toward just solid tan for the AR's.

20. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Tools of the "trade": so to speak!
    camo rifles+ 009. camo rifles+ 010. camo rifles+ 011. camo rifles+ 012.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7