Camp hatchet/axe

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by sasquatch91, Oct 16, 2022.

1. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Whats every one use for a camp hatchet, whats everyone use for an axe? Thanks.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have a 12” Nepalese Kukuri, that I have used for over sixty years, when living in the outdoors… All the weight in this kind of knife in the the blade. It lives in the original Goat Skin Belt Carrier…lot easier to carry and use for a single person to work with…

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I'll have to go and look... I know I have a Cold Steel machete in my BoB!

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Kentucky Forge Custom Tomahawk/boarding ax is my go to for everything, makes short work of most chores and makes an absolutely unstoppable fighting ax! We have numerous old school single and double bit axes for felling and limbing/chopping, there is nothing better then these old school lumber axes! Keckler makes a "Survival" type camp ax head kit that is really something, razer sharp, holds it's edge very well, and breaks down to a very small size, perfect for hunting or survival type needs, I have three of them now, one in each plane and one I wear on my belt!
    IMG_20200515_214608 (1) (1).

5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I got a couple of those Fiskars hatchets, one for the truck and one for the wife's car, that are super lightweight and plenty sharp. They got a fiberglass handle so can't break and are about 17 inches long so about right size to carry around but definitely not big enough to cut a decent size tree down. I've only two complaints. They are NOT heavy enough in the head so one needs to swing harder and I think they could have used a better steel as doesn't seem to hold the edge as well as I would like...but that's my opinion and I am hell on tools. Anyway, they are good enough for simple things and in case of a Zombie attack :) LOL!

6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Ditto on the kukuri! Also a REAL one like yous and not the show pieces we see online. I bought mine on the trail from a fellow who was using it. It has served me very well! In my 20's I went with our tribe to help my Sister and her husband fall several big trees in the Renton, WA area. I could limb with that blade as fast as the others did with chain saws, and some of those limbs were pretty large. It's amazing how efficient the combination of slicing and chopping work, and it's also amazingly well balanced,

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I got mine from a Roommate, who had just returned from a two year stint, with the Peace Corp, in a small village in Nepal.. This one was forged out a WWIi Japanese Truck Axle… The Handle disintegrated after 10 years of heavy use, and I made a new one from an Elk Horn, and that lasted another 15 years.. So I had my friend Adam DesRosiers Master BladeSmith, build a new handle for it, and do a Sharpening Job, on the Hollow Ground Blade… Not sure that was a smart idea, the Sharp Job, because It took me a while to get used to a Hair Splitting Blade, lots of bandaids…

IMG_1049.JPG

Zimmy, DuxDawg, Dunerunner and 6 others like this.
  8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I don't have one ,, but have used one before ,, been meaning to pick one up ,, but ,, an Estwing hatchet is a pretty decent tool . It's hardened steel ,, will hold a decent edge ,, and has a longer than average handle ,, which helps with chopping power and leverage .

Zimmy, Gray Wolf, Dunerunner and 3 others like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I have a Wetterlings axe and use it only at camp for splitting firewood. In Hawaii, I prefer a machete and a saw. That combo can do most of what is needed here.

Funny thing is the wifey is always eyeing the axe and asking me when can she use it on. I tell her to stick to the machete for the light stuff and a saw for the thicker stuff. I would let her wail away with the axe, but I think untrained use is dangerous. Like my friend who used my axe and promptly almost fully removed his thumb within minutes. I even showed him what to do with it. He didn't listen.

Image of me holding my friend's pet dispenser thumb hanging on by skin keeps me from letting her do to town. At least I did the field expedient first aid to hold his thumb on his hand to get him to the ER. ER doc said two things. Good job keeping the thumb attached and sharp axe. Clean cut allowed him to professionally reattach it. The nerve endings grew back and can't even see a scar. Very skillful!

I also have a Bear custom hatchet. But I admit, I mostly don't use it.

Zimmy, STGThndr, DuxDawg and 4 others like this.
  10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

And that there is the proof of using the wrong tool for the job ,,, or ,,, not knowing how to use the tool .

11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

And thinking they know better. I showed him how to safely split wet wood. Demonstrated it and explained. Then he proceeded to not do that and choose the Darwinian method. Literally less than a minute after I showed him the way, he said, "I think I hurt myself." I asked if it was bad. He said, "Uh, I think so." I said let me see.

He is holding his thumb in his fist. When I told him to show me, he opened his hand and blood gushed. I examined it and fiddled with his pez dispenser thumb and could see everything severed. His face turned white and I had to half carry a 250 pound dude back to where he could sit before he passed out in shock. I cleaned and taped him up where his thumb was in the attached position. and got his wife to take him to the ER.

12. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

I just bought a gerber hatchet/knife combo, thought it would be great for hunting and helping field dress game. It was not super sharp, but did manage to slice my thumb when i was touching the edge up.

13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

What I told him was it was raining all night and everything is wet. We are packing up to leave after breakfast so we don't need a campfire in the morning.

What he heard was wife wanted a campfire so we have to have a campfire.

So I told and showed him to split the wet logs, lay one flat, place the axe head aloha the length of the wood. Pick up the wood and the axe together and tap it down together to split the log. Repeat with the halves and you have quarters. Good enough to try and get some dry curls. I took the quarters that I showed him how to do it with and started to cut some curls.

What he did was hold the log upright pointed end facing upward, then chop downward on the pointed end. That's how it ended so quickly.

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  14. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Some people learn by listening to those that know ,,, and others learn from experience ,, but experience isn't always the safest way to learn . He learned . :D

15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

The hard way...

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  16. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Fiskers small 'axe'

I use a folding saw for wood thick to break with my foot. Also have a hand chain saw for slightly bigger 'trees'.
    [​IMG]

Hanzo, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

OK... I finally went out to the truck and dug out the 28" woodsman's axe and the little camp axe. The Woodsman's axe is a Husqvarna, and the camp (hand) axe is an old Companion that I have had since Cub Scouts.

18. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Like BT I too prefer a Kukri. I can do all the camp chores I need with one. I can chop most limbs and small saplings. Or split firewood. It's all in the technique. I've seen a lot of people, even the martial arts guy on Forged in Fire that didn't use one correctly.
    It's easier to show than explain.
    You hold it tight with your thumb and forefinger with the rest of your fingers slightly off the handle. As you come down, just before you make contact you snap your fingers closed. The forward weight of the blade with the snapping action generates a huge amount of force. You should be able to chop a 2x4 in half with as little as 3 strokes.

Hanzo, Dunerunner, 3M-TA3 and 3 others like this.
  19. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Always know where your fingers are at all times lol

20221015_102857.

Hanzo, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

have one of the old Estwing leather handle models probably from the 1960s and one of newer 30" camp axes that I carry in the SUV as part of the emergency tool set - figure I can chop thru vehicle metal if necessary .....

1. The_Prepared
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Witch Doctor 01
  4. AndyinEverson
  5. Motomom34
  6. oil pan 4
  7. oil pan 4
  8. Ura-Ki
  9. Bear
  10. chelloveck
    [MEDIA] [MEDIA] [MEDIA]
    Thread by: chelloveck, Apr 24, 2014, 3 replies, in forum: Blades