1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Can anyone identify this plant for me?

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Jeff Brackett, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+ Site Supporter

Took a trip to BOL last weekend and found this oddity growing up the trellis below the deck of the cabin. plant01.

Doesn't seem too unusual, right? I didn't think much of it until I saw the seed pods.

Cutting the pods open revealed a lot of silky threads attached to seeds about the size of a fingernail. Not to pretend I know that much about botany or herbalism, but I've never seen anything like this one. Can anyone tell me what this thing is? I don't want to show up at BOL next time and find a bunch of pod people running the place. :)
    plant01. plant02. plant01. plant02.
  2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Mutant Milkweed?
  3. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+ Site Supporter

Looks like it is a species of "Anglepod" in the milkvine family (possibly Eastern Anglepod?) I suspected a kind of milkweed, but this is a vine, and I've never seen one with a pod quite like this.

If anyone else can confirm or correct, I'd be grateful.
  4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Mutant ninja trellis crawling lizard weed...be careful, it produces oxygen and enjoys ample sunlight. Also, I have no idea.
    Jeff Brackett likes this.
  5. limpingbear

limpingbear future cancer survivor....

looks like a weed to me.....grasp firmly by the stem and pull.....
  6. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

It looks like you're dead on. Look at these entries for "Angular-Fruit Milkvine."
    http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?search=Matelea gonocarpos
  7. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Jeff Brackett likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary