Gear Review Can openers...

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Witch Doctor 01, Sep 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

My first can opener was a P38, as a boy. For ages, I never knew the P51 even existed. I am glad I learned of it, though. I'm not a small guy. And, my fingers aren't either. It is much easier to use the P51, than the P38.

Brokor, Hanzo and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Another vote for the Swing-A - Way. Got the P 38 and P 51. Plus all my SAK's and Leatherman tools have can openers built in. I'm good!

Hanzo, Witch Doctor 01 and Motomom34 like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I know you can open a can with a spoon. I have watched those videos of people opening a can with a spoon. I tried opening a can with a spoon and it was a fail. I would like to know how many have tried and had success using the spoon method.

Hanzo likes this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I much prefer to use the can opener that takes the rim particularly if it is something I'm not going to finish right away because the lid can be replaced on the can and put in the refrigerator.
    I have all the antiques and have used them from time to time ,but the rim/lid removal is far more efficient ,for dealing with opening cans around home ,
    Out camping is a whole different thing. P38 or knife do the job just fine, or cans with pull tabs. If you cut the bottom off the can you can easily flatten it for packing out. Some cans do not have rim on the bottom any more so having the skill to use the knife method might be required.

Hanzo likes this.
  5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

That is the pampered chef can opener... momma thinks it the best can opener ever made... she may be right but I don't think it's as ergonomic as the swing away's...

YMMV

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Hanzo likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7