Can you freeze milk and / or loaves of bread?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Asia-Off-Grid, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My buddy says Celiac Disease runs strong in people of Irish descent, which his family is. My family has Irish roots too, but thankfully none of us have it. I can eat any bread, but have strong preference for whole wheat and multigrain types.
    If my buddy eats even a tiny bit of gluten food, he'll be puking for a day.
    The stores are getting better with stocking glute-free products.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  2. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

When I worked for the Navy, in Adak, Alaska, they would fly fresh milk in, via our 3x/week supply & personnel flights (Alaska Airlines, flying 727's). We could each purchase a single 1/2 gallon carton, every day (though it typically only came in 1x/week, and sold out after a day).

My roommate and I would both go over to the "Ship's Store", each buy 1/2 gallon of milk, and bring it home. We typically went through 1/2 gallon every 3 days, so it worked out perfectly. New milk goes in the freezer. One thawed/in use 1/2 gallon in the fridge, and when you opened that one, you brought another one down, from the freezer, to thaw (and it typically took 2-3 days to thaw, in the fridge). We always had "fresh" frozen milk, the entire year we were there. (y)

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I always buy local organic milk, it lasts about a month (seriously). And a good stock of Parmalat UHT just in case in the cupboard. Dry powdered milk as a last resort. Never tried freezing milk before.

A good trick for UHT milk is to pour it out into a cleaned milk jug and add a couple drops of natural vanilla extract, then shake the hell out of it and let it sit overnight to get ice cold. Great stuff. I even make chocolate milk this way, although you can buy it as chocolate, too...probably costs more.

Asia-Off-Grid and natshare like this.
  4. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

UPDATE: After Brokor's post, partially quoted below, Chan began looking for similar UHT milk, locally.

I'm glad you mentioned this in your post. What we will now do is, we will buy a couple of two liters bottles of fresh milk, along with X number of UHT milk in cardboard containers. The ones here have a shelf life of one year. Of course, I wouldn't wait that long to drink it. If I like it well enough, and so far I have, we will start buying a couple of cases every month. We will store it in a cool, dry environment and start cycling out older stock, as new stock is purchased.
    UHT_milk.
    My apologies for the odd color of the image. The windows on our doors are tinted. I was using the natural sunlight to take the image by, with the carton set on top of our horizontal refrigerator / freezer. I didn't think it would turn out quite like it did.

Thanks to everyone who has offered input in this thread.

Oh, we have also sorted the issue regarding freezing bread, thanks to you folks. It worked fine when freezing, and later thawing it out.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yeah, I never knew about UHT milk until I had it in the military and kind of got accustomed to drinking it. It's even palatable when at ambient temperatures, although chocolate is better. I never tried drinking it more than a month past expiration, don't know how much longer it would last but you won't find me risking it. Of course, it spoils after you open it, so drink it all within a few days, maybe up to 5 or 6 days at most after opening. I believe some will say it will last up to 7 days in the fridge opened. Much more agreeable than the powdered milk, for sure. If you pour it into a fridge safe container and shake it a little and let it sit overnight, it tastes even better, too. I might add a touch of vanilla on occasion.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

In Cambodia? Hm ----

7. Asia-Off-Grid

:D Yes sir. For now, our temperature controlled container. But, the Boss now wants another one, a 40', possibly a refer or a high cube this time. She's comin' along with prepping and self-sustainability.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    ghrit likes this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I think I'd recommend 20 footers, simply because you lose less space to aisles. To say less unusable space that has to be conditioned.

Asia-Off-Grid and Seawolf1090 like this.
  9. Asia-Off-Grid

Well, 2 ordinary 20' containers would cost $1,200 each, empty and unmodified. A similar ordinary 40' container would run about $1,800. Not sure of the cost difference for a reefer or high cube. Either way, we will have to ponder this a bit more.

10. john316

john316 Monkey+++

I was on Adak, as an E3, 66-67, our milk came by ship, in 3 or 6 gal. boxes. Most of my tour we had old, bad tasting milk in the chow hall.Part of the "fun" of helping to unload the ship was opening up a box of fresh milk and EVERYONE,E3 all the way up E9 standing around drinking MILK. The base got a new CO about 8 months into my tour and one of the best changes he made was he let the mess hall throw out the old milk and serve the fresh. The food got better all around.

natshare and Ganado like this.
  11. john316

john316 Monkey+++

Olive oil stays fresh in a chest freezer for years.
    REMEMBER, a chest freezer, manual defrost, is the only way to go for LONG TERM STORAGE . EASy TO KEEP THE TOP 6 INCHES at 0 degrees F...........below that stays at -10 F AND STAYS GOOD FOR EVER.

OK,i am a fan boy for manual defrost chest freezers.........YOU ASK WHAT YOU CAN FREEZE.

IT IS a lot easier to list what you can not freeze.............cream cheese is one000000000000000000
    OTOH, an upright freezer with auto defrost thaws out the surface of EVERYTHING several times each day!

12. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

If you freeze bread, don't take it out and let it thaw out at room temperature. Put it bread the day before in the fridge and allow the temp to increase while maintaining a low humidity. Best way so far we have found to prevent sogginess.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  13. nkawtg

nkawtg Monkey+++

Oh I don't know. I freeze our homemade bread all the time. It's just fine.
    I do let it cool completely before freezing.

john316 likes this.
  14. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Freeze both all the time organic milk lasts the longest. My Satsum orange tree is loaded with oranges been putting up orange juice in the freezer also

15. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. DKR
    [IMG]...
    Thread by: DKR, Dec 25, 2021, 10 replies, in forum: Off Grid Living
  9. duane
  10. TnAndy
  11. crowdaddy
  12. JrOrtiz
  13. john316
  14. Ganado
  15. Magdala_Buckley
  16. DKR