Can you grow your own tea?

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by DKR, Nov 23, 2019.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

snake6264 likes this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Pinkies Up! A Local Tea Movement Is Brewing
    Small operations are popping up all over.

A guide for growing tea
    Grow Your Own Tea

Sources for plants
    Tea (Camellia sinensis)

Tea Camellia– Sinensis–Shop Shrubs | Spring Hill Nurseries

sold in many places as an ornamental shrub, check with local nurseries or other suppliers for plants grown locally. Growing indoors in possible for a very low-rate harvest.

Just as it my earlier (When the coffee is gone) thread, if you have a garden, it makes sense to plant a few tea bushes - if nothing else it can provide some good barter material now and in the future or little cost and not a lot of effort.

These folks made a (small) business out of home grown tea - Minto Island Tea Company

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Growing one's own tea on a small scale is doable, however those some climatic environments may be more favourable than others. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-gardeners-realise-uk-climate-is-perfect-for/

Just be prepared for a few years wait for a reliably productive crop

4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Depends on the tea. I harvested sassafras root bark for tea when I was a teenager in Michigan. Dandelion, rosemary, Hawthorne and mint teas would be easy in Coastal North Carolina, although I've only tried making mint tea. I enjoy this thread and will have to experiment more.

SB21 likes this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Digging VERY deeply into memory, there's a faint memory of sassafras tea made from leaves. I cannot swear to it; that was a LONG time ago, and tea never was not all that high on my list of things to learn in camp.

6. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Sassafras leaves will work for tea too. This makes it an all season tea producer.

Leaves in season and root bark after the leaves have dropped.

ghrit likes this.
  7. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

You can make tea from most any plant..wine too.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7